MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Submitting driver to github?
#381916 - 04/11/19 07:10 PM

I would like to submit a skeleton driver to Mame at Github properly.

I would read the Contributing Guidelines, but there are none.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pulls

I've played with the:
Compare changes across branches, commits, tags, and more below.

Cant seem to come up with anything that looks relevant.

Does anyone here know how to do this? I would prefer to know for myself rather than having someone just do it for me.

If contributions are only possible by devs, that is fine. I will happily send the driver to a dev for review provided I get some feedback that its either been submitted or it needs revision.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: TrevEB]
#381917 - 04/11/19 08:09 PM

> I would like to submit a skeleton driver to Mame at Github properly.
>
> I would read the Contributing Guidelines, but there are none.
> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pulls
>
> I've played with the:
> Compare changes across branches, commits, tags, and more below.
>
> Cant seem to come up with anything that looks relevant.
>
> Does anyone here know how to do this? I would prefer to know for myself rather than
> having someone just do it for me.
>
> If contributions are only possible by devs, that is fine. I will happily send the
> driver to a dev for review provided I get some feedback that its either been
> submitted or it needs revision.

If Git is too much trouble, we have been known to accept code and/or data via email mentioned here:
https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code

All code is subject to critique and revision, as you probably know, you should do as much as you can to make sure your code compiles cleanly against the current Git sources provided at: https://github.com/mamedev/mame

You'll need ROM_LOADs to be logically worked out, if possible, to CPU/SOUND/VIDEO/ETC and each machine should be accessible to launch via MAME provided you have the romsets listed and not crash or hang the emulator. This means providing all the hooks needed to make your entries be recognized by the build system such as the .lst and .flt files in src\mame as well as appropriate .lua files in scripts\target\mame.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: Tafoid]
#381918 - 04/11/19 08:48 PM

> If Git is too much trouble, we have been known to accept code and/or data via email
> mentioned here:
> https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code
>
> All code is subject to critique and revision, as you probably know, you should do as
> much as you can to make sure your code compiles cleanly against the current Git
> sources provided at: https://github.com/mamedev/mame
>
> You'll need ROM_LOADs to be logically worked out, if possible, to CPU/SOUND/VIDEO/ETC
> and each machine should be accessible to launch via MAME provided you have the
> romsets listed and not crash or hang the emulator. This means providing all the hooks
> needed to make your entries be recognized by the build system such as the .lst and
> .flt files in src\mame as well as appropriate .lua files in scripts\target\mame.

Please don't encourage people to submit drivers via loose files. Making a pull request is straightforward and doesn't create a major pain in the ass for the devs like loose files do.

TrevEB, I would encourage you to Google for "github pull request", minus the quotes, and start there. The very first link should be a page on Github's own Help page entitled "About pull requests", which explains pretty much exactly how to go about creating and submitting a pull request. You seem to be under the mistaken notion that MAME requires some sort of special procedure for submitting changes, when in reality submitting pull requests is how a huge number of open-source projects operate.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#381923 - 04/12/19 02:25 AM

There are some brief guidelines here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame#contributing

But in general, make sure it builds, links and validates, make sure the code isn't gross, try to aim for where we're taking the project so you aren't writing legacy code (plenty of modernisation and cleanup commits to see examples), open a pull request, and follow up on feedback.

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#381924 - 04/12/19 02:51 AM

As I noted, it is only a skeleton.
Roms are validated and crc checked.
No code per say has been written, no specific mame drivers have been selected.
That is all beyond my capabilities.

If this driver was included in Mame, it would only identify and validate the roms.

Do I need to also include the roms with the driver?
What about documentation?
In this particular case, both items are easily obtained.
But maybe I am doing someone a favor by including them?

So if someone were to dump a previously unknown set, what would be the standard process.

I did provide driver, roms and docs to the dumping union over 6 months ago and for whatever reason that went nowhere.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#381925 - 04/12/19 03:44 AM

Have you looked at any of the modern skeleton drivers, like the glass TTYs that AJR keeps adding? They don't do much more than document ROMs and allow you to view the disassembly in the debugger. Documentation goes in comments. Once again, there are plenty of examples in drivers that do nothing.

Here's an example of a driver that does nothing besides document the ROMs and hardware, and allow you to view the video and printer graphics ROM contents (even the CPU RAM/ROM mapping is not understood):
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/anzterm.cpp

We do need the ROMs, and there are a variety of ways to make sure we get them.

What do you mean by a "previously unknown set"? A different program running on a supported system, or a completely new system? In either case, you add a machine definition and open a pull request, and supply us with ROMs and any other supporting materials so that anyone interesting in working on it in the future has as much to work with as possible.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#381935 - 04/12/19 04:22 PM

So...what type of driver is TrevEB developing? I wish you mentioned that and the game/machine names when you started this thread.

-.-

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#382005 - 04/16/19 05:05 PM

I’ve been working on Williams Star Rider.

Obviously it won’t be playable for some time but it would be part of the whole and providing assistance to those that need to diagnose their board.
And it has graphics so it would be possible to see gameplay minus the trippy laserdisc images.

Sadly my driver writing skills are weak. Actually part of the problem is the existing rom dumps are not named properly so I need to study the schematics or find a decent picture of the board.

In the meantime I found some interesting history on the game.

https://arcadeblogger.com/2018/02/02/star-rider-arcade-laser-discs-last-stand/

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#382062 - 04/19/19 12:23 AM

Oh my god, is it supposed to sound like this? :O
https://youtu.be/BTWavPMsLI4?t=64

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: ICEknight]
#382064 - 04/19/19 08:03 AM

> Oh my god, is it supposed to sound like this? :O
> https://youtu.be/BTWavPMsLI4?t=64

If you're talking about the end of the race, where the audio gets stuck... no... that's a glitch right there. And it's a low quality video.

Sitting in the actual cabinet, I remember it sounding amazing... this was one of my favorite games to play at Bally's Aladdin's Castle.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/19
Send PM

Re: Submitting driver to github? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#382075 - 04/20/19 10:23 AM

It seems that uploader has also posted some higher quality videos. That's a cool article, by the way. Star Rider is probably, along with Freedom Fighter and Cube Quest, one of the most technically complex Laserdisc games there is. Actually, Freedom Fighter even runs on mostly the same hardware as Star Rider except for the LD player being different (due to its non-linear video playback). I'm curious (since I don't know a whole lot about how drivers work)... if a Star Rider driver ever does become a thing, about how hard would it be to have it load the Freedom Fighter ROMs as well?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Star Rider etc. *edited again* new [Re: amoroboshi116]
#382079 - 04/20/19 10:08 PM

>Actually, Freedom Fighter even runs on mostly the same hardware as Star Rider except for
>the LD player being different (due to its non-linear video playback). I'm curious (since I
>don't know a whole lot about how drivers work)... if a Star Rider driver ever does become a
>thing, about how hard would it be to have it load the Freedom Fighter ROMs as well?

Assuming Freedom Fighter uses same hardware setup exactly like Star Rider, they could both be in same source file. If there are any slight hardware differences of the two games, then expect both games to have their own source file.

For somewhat simple example and linking to unofficial source mirror

here is Sega LaserDisc Hardware file

https://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/segald.cpp

Different games and some use the laser disc player system Pioneer LDV1000

The laser disc player system bios rom is supported in these other source files beginning with 'ld' acronym for laser disc that can be found in other source directory

Each laser disc player system might have its own unique bios rom which is why they are in the src/devices/machine section of the source code.

-
https://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/devices/machine

ld*.cpp
ld*.h
--

If Star Rider and Freedom Fighter use a laser disc player not yet supported, then the bios rom(s) from particular laser disc player system will need to be dumped and laser disc player system also emulated.

With that part, the next thing needed is have roms from a pcb (if any are used with a particular laser disc game) also need to be dumped and the pcb hardware also needing to be emulated. And the last part is the laser disc be video data be captured and fortunately there might be progress with that area. (see Domesday threads in News forum)

Here is Moogly's 12/23/18 post that provides info of what else needs to be done.

Edited by gregf (04/29/19 10:25 AM)

italiandoh
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/12/09
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: gregf]
#382092 - 04/21/19 04:41 PM

The Freedom Fighter proto version runs on modified Star Rider HW, using the Philips 22VP931 laserdisc player insted of the Pioneer PR-8210A. 22VP931 is also used in Firefox which is already emulated. The non-proto version runs on a dedicated boardset, with the same LDP. Both rom dumps are available but none emulated so far. There was a preliminary Star Rider driver running in Daphne decades ago.

Matteo

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: italiandoh]
#382162 - 04/27/19 03:22 AM

There's something weird I noticed about Freedom Fighter on Star Rider hardware, actually. The game mostly uses sampled sound effects with some occasional typical PSG ones (like when you enter one of the three doors after taking out a tank). Does the hardware even have any dedicated sample playback hardware? I'm pretty sure Star Rider never did anything like that.

And a fun fact: The dedicated version, from what I can gather by looking at the ROMs, uses totally different sound effects compared to the prototype one.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: amoroboshi116]
#382164 - 04/27/19 03:52 AM

> There's something weird I noticed about Freedom Fighter on Star Rider hardware,
> actually. The game mostly uses sampled sound effects with some occasional typical PSG
> ones (like when you enter one of the three doors after taking out a tank). Does the
> hardware even have any dedicated sample playback hardware? I'm pretty sure Star Rider
> never did anything like that.

Star Rider has no PSG. The sound board has a 6809 driving two DACs via 32*8 FIFOs. The playback rate is controlled by a PTM.

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#382177 - 04/27/19 02:42 PM

Oh, really? Hmm...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: amoroboshi116]
#382190 - 04/28/19 03:14 PM

> Oh, really? Hmm...

Williams was big into what we'd now call "soft synths" as early as Defender. The music in Spy Hunter is a dedicated 68000 driving an 8-bit DAC, for instance.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#382198 - 04/29/19 09:21 AM

There you go - a driver that shows nothing, but has a pile of I/O in the right places, and some comments on address decoding, etc. Yes, I know I wrote "Start Rider" in the comment at the top of the file.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#382200 - 04/29/19 10:59 AM

> a driver that shows nothing, but has a pile of I/O in the right places, and some comments
> on address decoding, etc.

A particular someone ( *=/STARRIDER\=* ) will likely be thankful when he finds out about this later.

Matt Ownby's blog will get another round of many more visits later.

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/2015/03/star-rider-and-changes-that-freedom.html

Old thread for those that weren't visiting MW back at the time. Just to mention that with that thread being 5 years earlier, this was before MAME and MESS officially merged to become MAME even though MAME already incorporated MESS source code into MAME around that time. And since then Apple II floppy diskette preservation is well underway with lots of 5.25 floppy diskettes of Apple II products being rescued/preserved.

>Yes, I know I wrote "Start Rider" in the comment at the top of the file.

Don't worry. According to Joey, the photocopier will catch a few of those typos and correct them for you.

FRIENDS (S01E18) Making the resumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuTg2IbCGo

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Star Rider new [Re: italiandoh]
#382201 - 04/29/19 11:10 AM

>The Freedom Fighter proto version runs on modified Star Rider HW, using the Philips 22VP931
>laser disc player instead of the Pioneer PR-8210A. 22VP931 is also used in Firefox which is
>already emulated. The non-proto version runs on a dedicated boardset, with the same LDP.

Thanks with the info and also fortunately Matt Ownby's blog is around since that will get another round of future visits later now that Vas's initial work is underway in MAME source code.

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/2015/03/star-rider-and-changes-that-freedom.html

Matt Ownby
Daphne Creator
Reged: 09/12/08
Loc: Western USA
Send PM

Re: Star Rider new [Re: gregf]
#382216 - 04/29/19 11:10 PM

> > The Freedom Fighter proto version runs on modified Star Rider HW, using the Philips
> http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/
>
> http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/2015/03/star-rider-and-changes-that-freedom.html

Man, I just re-read this blog post and I couldn't believe that I had written it. PCB pics and schematic pics? I usually just toss some random words together on my blog posts hehehe.

As far as Star Rider is concerned, I did get it partially emulated a few years ago. Everything except for the expander and the sound board was working properly.

I documented a ton of info about the game which would provide someone a massive shortcut if they want to work on emulation:

Star Rider Main CPU and VGG notes
Star Rider PIF board notes
Star Rider emulation WIP video - color palette problems, no sound, no expander, but otherwise working I subsequently acquired a full Star Rider arcade game to help finish this emulation but got distracted making Dexter

TrevEB
Send PM

#382224 - 04/30/19 08:27 AM

Vas.
Thanks man. I appreciate it.
If you ever need a bit of help designing an arcade or a kitchen, I’ll return the favor. Architecture is what I do. Writing code, not so much.

Hopefully soon I will fire up the Artwork project again for one special title.

TrevEB

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#382229 - 04/30/19 03:20 PM

> Thanks man. I appreciate it.

You're welcome. I'll keep hacking on the driver slowly when I've got time.

Are you in a position to dump the master clock generator PAL (82S123 32*8 BPROM at U114 on VGG board), and the colour translation PALs (82S137 1024*4 BPROMs at U10 and U11 on VGG board)? We're going to need them for proper emulation.

edit: Also need a dump of the horizontal address mapping PROM at U74 on the VGG board (appears to be 6349 512*8 with one address line tied low).

Edited by Vas Crabb (04/30/19 06:19 PM)

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

#382234 - 04/30/19 06:21 PM

> Star Rider has no PSG. The sound board has a 6809 driving two DACs via 32*8 FIFOs.
> The playback rate is controlled by a PTM.

Does it use one of the standard Midway sound boards? (sounds like a Turbo Chip Squeak -- see audio/midway.c)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Star Rider etc. *edit* new [Re: AaronGiles]
#382235 - 04/30/19 06:33 PM

> > Star Rider has no PSG. The sound board has a 6809 driving two DACs via 32*8 FIFOs.
> > The playback rate is controlled by a PTM.
>
> Does it use one of the standard Midway sound boards? (sounds like a Turbo Chip Squeak
> -- see audio/midway.c)

No, it's not that. It's closer to a Williams pinball sound board. The board can support three FIFOs/DACs plus a TMS5220, but one FIFO/DAC and the TMS5220 are unpopulated. The software can also control the mix level for the first two DACs.

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

#382236 - 04/30/19 06:49 PM

> > > Star Rider has no PSG. The sound board has a 6809 driving two DACs via 32*8
> FIFOs.
> > > The playback rate is controlled by a PTM.
> >
> > Does it use one of the standard Midway sound boards? (sounds like a Turbo Chip
> Squeak
> > -- see audio/midway.c)
>
> No, it's not that. It's closer to a Williams pinball sound board. The board can
> support three FIFOs/DACs plus a TMS5220, but one FIFO/DAC and the TMS5220 are
> unpopulated. The software can also control the mix level for the first two DACs.

Interesting. The Squawk & Talk (Discs of Tron) is somewhat like that, but not quite. I think it used a 6802, but it did have a 5220.

TrevEB
Send PM

#382237 - 04/30/19 07:11 PM

I probably can however:
Matt Ownby may have already done this?

*edit*
Yup, Matt's got em, and now you do too.

TrevEB

Edited by TrevEB (04/30/19 07:48 PM)

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: Star Rider new [Re: Matt Ownby]
#382248 - 05/01/19 04:32 AM

Also of note is Matt’s posts in 2017 that may be of interest.
This one in particular was a good day.

http://my-cool-projects.blogspot.com/2017/04/major-star-rider-pr-8210a-dexter-break.html

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Star Rider new [Re: Matt Ownby]
#382259 - 05/02/19 05:09 AM

Oh yeah, Matt, I've been meaning to ask you two questions about Freedom Fighter. I assume you'd be able to answer them. What's the startup sequence like (there's no footage of the game booting up yet), and would you have any non-closeup photos of the PCB? I'd just be curious to see an actual photo of it in full.

Edited by amoroboshi116 (05/02/19 05:10 AM)

Matt Ownby
Daphne Creator
Reged: 09/12/08
Loc: Western USA
Send PM

Re: Star Rider new [Re: amoroboshi116]
#383066 - 07/16/19 06:43 PM

I do have the Freedom Fighter boards but I've never powered them on, so I don't know what the startup sequence is like. I plan to tackle them "soon".

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1797