Pages: 1

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

A moment of silence
#381763 - 03/29/19 09:04 AM

I just deleted ~20 years of MAME screenshots (snap.zip). No undelete utility that I've tried can see them.

Thank you, that is all. Yay, it's Friday.

/Edit Oh and the guy from Airwolf died the other day.

S

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: Sune]
#381770 - 03/29/19 03:09 PM

Just grab the download from JohnIV's site. 481MB download. Not too bad.

Unless you're talking about personal screenshots from your own gameplay. That would suck. And it would be weird that you had them all zipped up.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: URherenow]
#381781 - 03/30/19 02:42 AM

> Just grab the download from JohnIV's site. 481MB download. Not too bad.
>
> Unless you're talking about personal screenshots from your own gameplay. That would
> suck. And it would be weird that you had them all zipped up.

lol

Yes, over 400 personal screenshots in snap.zip used with MAMEUI since forever.

I don't remember why I've been keeping them zipped. Maybe because MameUI loads faster that way, or maybe for no particular reason.

S

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#381782 - 03/30/19 02:45 AM

> lol
>
> Yes, over 400 personal screenshots in snap.zip used with MAMEUI since forever.
>
> I don't remember why I've been keeping them zipped. Maybe because MameUI loads faster
> that way, or maybe for no particular reason.

Well, now it loads even faster, ay?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#381785 - 03/30/19 05:25 AM

> > lol
> >
> > Yes, over 400 personal screenshots in snap.zip used with MAMEUI since forever.
> >
> > I don't remember why I've been keeping them zipped. Maybe because MameUI loads
> faster
> > that way, or maybe for no particular reason.
>
> Well, now it loads even faster, ay?

LOL yeah I guess it does.

Maybe I'll just stop using it all together now that I've lost my screenshots. At this point I'm just using it out of habit anyway. 20 years old habit. God.

S

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#381807 - 03/31/19 07:44 PM

Maybe you’ve got an old hard drive lying around that use to have Mame on it?
Maybe you’ve shared your Mame setup with someone?
Sure, it will be a dated file but you’ll get some of it back.

If you haven't already tried this, give it a try.
https://learn.condusiv.com/LP-Trialware-Undelete.html

If this program doesn’t work then yes, that file is gone.
As long as you didn’t delete the file and then download 10-20 gigs of data or do a hard drive defragment, the file should still be there.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#381887 - 04/09/19 04:15 AM Attachment: saraunderwood.jpg 398 KB (1 downloads)

I slipped up a couple weeks ago using the Windows 10 disk cleanup app. I foolishly elected to include the "Downloaded files" location because it showed that multiple gigabytes of space would be freed up. It wasn't until a couple hours later that I realized everything in my Downloads folder was purged and the handful of tools I tried to use to recover the contents were unsuccessful.

I typically use that folder as a catch-all for things before I figure out where to put them permanently. What pains me is I don't know all of what was in the folder. If I did I could probably find and download everything again.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: Andrew]
#381889 - 04/09/19 07:33 AM

> I slipped up a couple weeks ago using the Windows 10 disk cleanup app. I foolishly
> elected to include the "Downloaded files" location because it showed that multiple
> gigabytes of space would be freed up. It wasn't until a couple hours later that I
> realized everything in my Downloads folder was purged and the handful of tools I
> tried to use to recover the contents were unsuccessful.
>
> I typically use that folder as a catch-all for things before I figure out where to
> put them permanently. What pains me is I don't know all of what was in the folder. If
> I did I could probably find and download everything again.

Probably just photos of girls thanks for posting a 70's (early 80's?) chick. That's probably Lady Gaga's mom. Or dad. oops lol

(/Edit ok I found out who she is. But it does look like an old photo)

S

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#381892 - 04/09/19 09:22 PM

> I slipped up a couple weeks ago using the Windows 10 disk cleanup app. I foolishly
> elected to include the "Downloaded files" location because it showed that multiple
> gigabytes of space would be freed up. It wasn't until a couple hours later that I
> realized everything in my Downloads folder was purged and the handful of tools I
> tried to use to recover the contents were unsuccessful.
>

I *really* hope somebody at Microsoft lost their job over that.

It seems to be one of the things people have complained most about in Windows 10, I guess it slipped in with a feature update (and for some reason, ended up 'on' by default for some automatic cleanup operations for some people)

It's absolutely destroyed trust in any of the 'named' folders, and even caused problems for anybody who just tick everything thinking it means (as it always did in the past) that only automatically created system files / folders etc. and actual things assigned as 'temp' or 'junk' get cleaned up. It's at the very least a *terrible* UX choice. Quietly slipping an incredibly destructive operation among harmless ones isn't something that should pass even the first level of QA or even design process.

It's a bad, bad design and contributing to the number of people who actually think W10 is the new incarnation of Vista.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: Haze]
#381902 - 04/10/19 12:00 PM

I've not noticed such an issue. Not even in the default Windows Download folder. There are a few files in there from when I've played with different browsers without setting them to download files to my usual spot (which isn't in the C: drive). Windows 10 is seriously the most trouble-free Windows I've ever dealt with.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: A moment of silence new [Re: Haze]
#382165 - 04/27/19 04:03 AM

I did get some minor good news just now.

I downloaded a zip file to the Downloads folder. I right-clicked it after it downloaded and selected 7-Zip > Extract files... and when I clicked the Extract to dropdown button to select a previously-used folder, a handful of folder names of prior unzipped files appeared. This gave me a clue as to some of the data I lost.

Makes me wonder if I have any other apps that store previously used folders/filenames stuff.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

URherenow
Send PM

#382185 - 04/28/19 03:14 AM

doesn't a registry scan with ccleaner show a bunch of such registry entries?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1026