MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen?
#381691 - 03/24/19 05:47 AM

I have a dual monitor setup. When I'm playing a game in MAME at fullscreen, if I pause the game and try to move the mouse over to the other monitor in order to respond to an email or whatever other task, it doesn't allow me to. Any way to get it to work?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#381692 - 03/24/19 06:26 AM

> I have a dual monitor setup. When I'm playing a game in MAME at fullscreen, if I
> pause the game and try to move the mouse over to the other monitor in order to
> respond to an email or whatever other task, it doesn't allow me to. Any way to get it
> to work?

Alt-Tab

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#381697 - 03/24/19 10:35 AM

I meant to include, "without minimizing the game".

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#381718 - 03/25/19 08:40 PM

> I meant to include, "without minimizing the game".

Didn't we have this discussion already? Maybe it was someone else.

Disable mouse input for MAME and run MAME in a window.

You can't do stuff in full screen mode on one monitor while doing something that requires mouse and keyboard on a second monitor. Anything that goes "full screen" takes exclusive control over mouse and keyboard unless there is a way to explicitly tell it not to. Even then, as soon as you click on anything on the second monitor, your full screen software will lose focus. IIRC losing focus makes MAME enter pause mode but I think you can change this behavior in mame.ini.

The only way this will "work" is with software that can run in "full-screen borderless window mode", like VLC for example.

S

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Sune]
#381726 - 03/26/19 06:14 AM

It's not just MAME that this is unique to. ANY program does that.

> You can't do stuff in full screen mode on one monitor while doing something that requires mouse and keyboard on a second monitor.

This just popped into my mind that maybe you can try or someone knows the answer to. I've never tried it...

Have 2 separate mice with their different ID's & assign 1 ID to Windows & the other mouse(or a trackball) ID to MAME only... Is that even possible? Just a thought...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#381728 - 03/26/19 07:25 AM

> Have 2 separate mice with their different ID's & assign 1 ID to Windows & the other
> mouse(or a trackball) ID to MAME only... Is that even possible? Just a thought...

Where do you assign IDs to mice though?

How would the OS know to let MAME retain focus in full screen while you click away on something else with your second mouse?
Even if there was a way to assign mouse ID's, as far as I know two applications can't have focus at the same time.

S

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: How to use mouse on dual monitor while MAME is running in fullscreen? new [Re: Sune]
#381732 - 03/26/19 08:50 PM

Try with MameUI, later releases have a different behaviour and you can move the mouse without hitting pause in windowed mode. I don't have two monitors to test, but maybe will work the way you want.

RETRODANUART.COM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 968