MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update
#381502 - 03/12/19 10:41 PM

PC:

I7 3.6 ghz

16 gb ram

geforce gtx 1060 6gb ram

everything worked mighty fine until yesterday, when i decided to give an update to the geforce experience drivers.

since then mame64 (206 and 207)just crashes without even opening up. mameui (207) opens up to the interface, after that any game i choose just crashes back to windows. On mameui i have a file called verbose.log, don't know if that can help

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Solstar]
#381503 - 03/12/19 10:58 PM

nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for your GTX 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the update.
Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Solstar]
#381504 - 03/13/19 12:05 AM

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Robbbert]
#381507 - 03/13/19 10:49 AM

win 10 here

>Paste the error here.

from mame64 ("command line") version? there is no error, nor any log, it just crashes back to window, like if its about to opne a window, and then close it immediately

> It might. Attach it here. You might need to rename it to verbose.txt to get it attached.

here it is

Code:

********** STARTING tgoldeye **********
===> not supported osx uifontprovider
===> registered module win uifontprovider
===> registered module dwrite uifontprovider
===> not supported sdl uifontprovider
===> registered module none uifontprovider
===> registered module dsound sound
===> registered module xaudio2 sound
===> not supported coreaudio sound
===> not supported js sound
===> not supported sdl sound
===> registered module portaudio sound
===> registered module none sound
===> not supported sdl monitorprovider
===> registered module win32 monitorprovider
===> registered module dxgi monitorprovider
===> registered module windows debugger
===> not supported qt debugger
===> registered module imgui debugger
===> registered module none debugger
===> not supported taptun netdevprovider
Unable to load the PCAP library
===> not supported pcap netdevprovider
===> registered module none netdevprovider
===> registered module pm midiprovider
===> registered module pm midiprovider
===> not supported sdl keyboardprovider
===> registered module rawinput keyboardprovider
===> registered module dinput keyboardprovider
===> registered module win32 keyboardprovider
===> not supported uwp keyboardprovider
===> registered module none keyboardprovider
===> not supported sdl mouseprovider
===> registered module rawinput mouseprovider
===> registered module dinput mouseprovider
===> registered module win32 mouseprovider
===> registered module none mouseprovider
===> not supported x11 lightgunprovider
===> registered module rawinput lightgunprovider
===> registered module win32 lightgunprovider
===> registered module none lightgunprovider
===> not supported sdl joystickprovider
DirectInput: Using DirectInput 8
===> registered module winhybrid joystickprovider
===> registered module dinput joystickprovider
===> registered module xinput joystickprovider
===> not supported uwp joystickprovider
===> registered module none joystickprovider
===> registered module none output
===> registered module console output
===> registered module network output
===> registered module windows output
Starting plugin data...
Attempting load of mame.ini
Parsing mame.ini
Attempting load of mame.ini
Parsing mame.ini
Attempting load of horizont.ini
Attempting load of console.ini
Attempting load of source\hh_sm510.ini
Attempting load of tgoldeye.ini
Video: Monitor 65537 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Direct3D: Using Direct3D 9
unzip: opened archive file C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip
unzip: found C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip ECD
unzip: C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip has no ZIP64 ECD locator
unzip: read C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip central directory
unzip: closing archive file C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip and sending to cache
unzip: opened archive file artwork\tgoldeye.zip
unzip: found artwork\tgoldeye.zip ECD
unzip: artwork\tgoldeye.zip has no ZIP64 ECD locator
unzip: read artwork\tgoldeye.zip central directory
unzip: closing archive file artwork\tgoldeye.zip and sending to cache
unzip: found C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip in cache
unzip: opened archive file C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip
unzip: closing archive file C:\mame\MameUI64\Artwork\tgoldeye.zip and sending to cache
Physical width 2560, height 1600
Direct3D: Initialize
Direct3D: Configuring adapter #0 = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#381508 - 03/13/19 12:13 PM

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Robbbert]
#381509 - 03/13/19 04:06 PM

setting opengl or bgfx fixed the issue so far, thanks

what is the difference between opengl and bgfx?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#381510 - 03/13/19 04:29 PM

> setting opengl or bgfx fixed the issue so far, thanks
>
> what is the difference between opengl and bgfx?

One uses OpenGL and one uses BGFX.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

#381511 - 03/13/19 06:20 PM

> It's obviously failing in the adapter (sic).
>
> You can try one or more of the following:
> 1. Revert the nvidia driver by using system restore or some other method, as Ciro
> said
> 2. Use windowed mode instead of full screen
> 3. Use opengl or bgfx instead of direct3d

Had this same exact issue so I just force any mame instance to use bgfx. Using windowed mode with direct3d doesn't completely solve the issue from my experience. I honestly don't know what fate will lie between the direct3d video mode especially with some bugs that only occur in that mode. This one is a good example: https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6605

> nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for your GTX
> 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the update.
> Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.

If I use windows 10 and am using a non RTX 2000 series video card, then this for sure explains the crashing.

-.-

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#381517 - 03/13/19 10:08 PM

great, i would have never guessed.

what does one that the other one doesn't?

ahh good ol'MooglyGuy, as sympatethic as a kick in the balls

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Hydreigon]
#381518 - 03/13/19 10:09 PM

> > It's obviously failing in the adapter (sic).
> >
> > You can try one or more of the following:
> > 1. Revert the nvidia driver by using system restore or some other method, as Ciro
> > said
> > 2. Use windowed mode instead of full screen
> > 3. Use opengl or bgfx instead of direct3d
>
> Had this same exact issue so I just force any mame instance to use bgfx. Using
> windowed mode with direct3d doesn't completely solve the issue from my experience. I
> honestly don't know what fate will lie between the direct3d video mode especially
> with some bugs that only occur in that mode. This one is a good example:
> https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6605
>
> > nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for your
> GTX
> > 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the update.
> > Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.
>
> If I use windows 10 and am using a non RTX 2000 series video card, then this for sure
> explains the crashing.

yeah windowed mode didn't work for me either

It shoudl crash on other games or apps too, but it only happens on mame so far :\

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#381537 - 03/14/19 08:09 PM

What's strange is that I have the same graphics card as you, only with 3GB. I updated to the latest graphic drivers from NVidia. I tried multiple games with different graphic backends. Tried using bgfx & hlsl & I couldn't get the games to crash. Every game ran just fine on the latest version of MAME

Edited by Envisaged0ne (03/14/19 08:10 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#381540 - 03/14/19 08:38 PM

> > > It's obviously failing in the adapter (sic).
> > >
> > > You can try one or more of the following:
> > > 1. Revert the nvidia driver by using system restore or some other method, as Ciro
> > > said
> > > 2. Use windowed mode instead of full screen
> > > 3. Use opengl or bgfx instead of direct3d
> >
> > Had this same exact issue so I just force any mame instance to use bgfx. Using
> > windowed mode with direct3d doesn't completely solve the issue from my experience.
> I
> > honestly don't know what fate will lie between the direct3d video mode especially
> > with some bugs that only occur in that mode. This one is a good example:
> > https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6605
> >
> > > nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for your
> > GTX
> > > 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the
> update.
> > > Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.
> >
> > If I use windows 10 and am using a non RTX 2000 series video card, then this for
> sure
> > explains the crashing.
>
> yeah windowed mode didn't work for me either
>
> It shoudl crash on other games or apps too, but it only happens on mame so far :\

Well Nvidia managed to break their drivers on XP for MAME and never actually fixed them years back, so don't hold your breath, maybe they've reintroduced the same bug here for their W10 drivers. Should never be possible for an application to take down a system, but that's Nvidia quality for you.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#381546 - 03/15/19 04:14 AM

> What's strange is that I have the same graphics card as you, only with 3GB. I updated
> to the latest graphic drivers from NVidia. I tried multiple games with different
> graphic backends. Tried using bgfx & hlsl & I couldn't get the games to crash. Every
> game ran just fine on the latest version of MAME

In my experience, the motherboard drivers being off somehow can cause a full system crash with a graphic card. I had TONS of problems back in the day with Nvidia's nForce motherboard drivers, things got so bad I had to reinstall the OS on a regular basis.

I'm not saying the graphic card drivers aren't at fault, but it could be something else throwing a wrench in the system and causing the crash.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Haze]
#381548 - 03/15/19 09:55 AM

> > > > It's obviously failing in the adapter (sic).
> > > >
> > > > You can try one or more of the following:
> > > > 1. Revert the nvidia driver by using system restore or some other method, as
> Ciro
> > > > said
> > > > 2. Use windowed mode instead of full screen
> > > > 3. Use opengl or bgfx instead of direct3d
> > >
> > > Had this same exact issue so I just force any mame instance to use bgfx. Using
> > > windowed mode with direct3d doesn't completely solve the issue from my
> experience.
> > I
> > > honestly don't know what fate will lie between the direct3d video mode especially
> > > with some bugs that only occur in that mode. This one is a good example:
> > > https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6605
> > >
> > > > nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for
> your
> > > GTX
> > > > 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the
> > update.
> > > > Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.
> > >
> > > If I use windows 10 and am using a non RTX 2000 series video card, then this for
> > sure
> > > explains the crashing.
> >
> > yeah windowed mode didn't work for me either
> >
> > It shoudl crash on other games or apps too, but it only happens on mame so far :\
>
> Well Nvidia managed to break their drivers on XP for MAME and never actually fixed
> them years back, so don't hold your breath, maybe they've reintroduced the same bug
> here for their W10 drivers. Should never be possible for an application to take down
> a system, but that's Nvidia quality for you.

i just noticed that now not even windows 10 screensavers work!!

Whenever i try to set up any screensavers, it just shows a black screen with white wording saying "unable to render this screensaver because it requires a video card able to render direct 3d"

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: Foxhack]
#381549 - 03/15/19 09:57 AM

> > What's strange is that I have the same graphics card as you, only with 3GB. I
> updated
> > to the latest graphic drivers from NVidia. I tried multiple games with different
> > graphic backends. Tried using bgfx & hlsl & I couldn't get the games to crash.
> Every
> > game ran just fine on the latest version of MAME
>
> In my experience, the motherboard drivers being off somehow can cause a full system
> crash with a graphic card. I had TONS of problems back in the day with Nvidia's
> nForce motherboard drivers, things got so bad I had to reinstall the OS on a regular
> basis.
>
> I'm not saying the graphic card drivers aren't at fault, but it could be something
> else throwing a wrench in the system and causing the crash.

it might be , but strange though that everything worked mighty fine until i decided to start this update, isn't it?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#381551 - 03/15/19 11:14 AM

So... why not use an older version of the driver and tick the option to preform a clean installation?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#381555 - 03/15/19 07:44 PM

> > > What's strange is that I have the same graphics card as you, only with 3GB. I
> > updated
> > > to the latest graphic drivers from NVidia. I tried multiple games with different
> > > graphic backends. Tried using bgfx & hlsl & I couldn't get the games to crash.
> > Every
> > > game ran just fine on the latest version of MAME
> >
> > In my experience, the motherboard drivers being off somehow can cause a full system
> > crash with a graphic card. I had TONS of problems back in the day with Nvidia's
> > nForce motherboard drivers, things got so bad I had to reinstall the OS on a
> regular
> > basis.
> >
> > I'm not saying the graphic card drivers aren't at fault, but it could be something
> > else throwing a wrench in the system and causing the crash.
>
> it might be , but strange though that everything worked mighty fine until i decided
> to start this update, isn't it?

So the new drivers don't play nice with something that's already in the system.

Just roll back. :P

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#381570 - 03/16/19 01:34 PM

> setting opengl or bgfx fixed the issue so far, thanks
>
> what is the difference between opengl and bgfx?

BGFX is a single code path that can use pretty much anything. On Win10 it'll likely default to D3D11, but it can also use OpenGL, GLES (on mobile), D3D9, D3D12, Vulkan, and Metal (on Mac/iOS).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAMEUI and mame64 207 crashes to dekstop after latest Nvidia geforce update new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#381571 - 03/16/19 01:36 PM

> nVidia drivers v400 are for the RTX cards. You will get no improvements for your GTX
> 1060 with them. I recommend to stay on 397 or whatever you were before the update.
> Also, drivers v400 are buggy as hell specially for Win10 users.

Nonsense. The 400 series still supports GTX cards and is adding new game optimizations for them. After all, they shipped 2 new GTX cards in the last week, and 397 won't even boot those.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 832