View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

MAME now ignores the nvram_save option?
#381163 - 02/19/19 11:07 PM

It has been half a year since I upgraded MAME and last year I found out about the -(no)nvram_save parameter (nvram_save in ini) that stops MAME writing nv_ram files. However now if I write something like "mame64.exe gbcolor shantae -nonvram_save" the gbcolor\shantae.nv gets written anyway. It still works for non softlist items I think. It was not like that last time I tried, has something changed recently? Is there an option for softlists items now?

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: MAME now ignores the nv_ram option? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#381166 - 02/20/19 02:07 AM

MAME ignores the nvram_save option when writing on-cartridge NVRAM because that happens to go through a completely different codepath which I didn't even examine when implementing the option.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: MAME now ignores the nv_ram option? new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#381167 - 02/20/19 02:45 AM

> MAME ignores the nvram_save option when writing on-cartridge NVRAM because that
> happens to go through a completely different codepath which I didn't even examine
> when implementing the option.

It wasn't like that half a year ago though. I hope the feature gets back or at least there's a workaround. If not, well, I was already use to handpick my saves before clearing the folder every time I upgrade. I'm reporting in case it wasn't overseen anyway. :P

Thank you for the reply.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: MAME now ignores the nv_ram option? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#381168 - 02/20/19 03:38 AM

> It wasn't like that half a year ago though. I hope the feature gets back or at least
> there's a workaround.

I'm quite sure there's been no technical regression. The -nonvram_save effect has always been (inconsistently) unavailable for devices which use battery_save instead of nvram_save. It's possible that "half a year ago" you were playing a Neo Geo or Sega Saturn game, since the NVRAM-bearing cartridges for those systems do use the latter interface.

That said, I think the inconsistency is well worth patching, even if it masks a bigger internal inconsistency.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 389