MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Ketchup
#381056 - 02/11/19 10:37 PM

I've been busy with work and a move for the past couple of weeks so here is the catch up post.

coolmod dumped a Virtua NBA prototype

TeamEurope dumped four Vsmile Motion games:
Dora und die drei Schweinchen (Germany)
Micky Maus Wunderhaus (Germany)
Spongebob Schwammkopf - Ein Schwamm will nach oben (Germany)
Rapunzel - Neu verföhnt (Germany)

Sugoi Helsinki sent us a dump of an alternate version of Raiden Fighters 2 (Japan)

Apocalypse extracted the System 16B version of Bloxeed from the PS2 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection, it runs on a 171-5704 ROM board

twistedsymphony sent us a dump of an alternate version of Pasha Pasha Champ

jordigahan sent us a dump of a Compumatic "Microdar SPD" PCB which was used on darts games from Bifuca and from Recreativos Presas S.L.

Layer sent us a dump of Double Dragon II - The Revenge (Japan) to fix the dump in mame

coolmod dumped an alt version of the Game Park GP32

Jorge Silva and Kravex sent us a dump of a bootleg of Ghost Chaser Densei and iq_132 wrote decryption code for it

Artemio Urbina dumped X-Men (JEA)

Porchy dumped NeoPrint Millennium Multi-Shot Edition

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/du/feb11-2019/neoprint-mill.zip

TeamEurope dumped several LeapPad and My First LeapPad carts and scanned their pages

Moffitt and coolmod dumped some pals on Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III

coolmod dumped a Red Clash board with Suntronics license

jordigahan and ClawGrip dumped The Glob (Magic Electronics)

ClawGrip got the Portugal version of Gaelco GolDart

coolmod dumped a proto/demo version of King of Route 66 which was likely built for the ATEI 2002 show

Click here to visit the DU donation page

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: Smitdogg]
#381060 - 02/12/19 01:58 AM

The board sold as an Astyanax bootleg turned out to be something entirely different.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#381061 - 02/12/19 02:01 AM

I can fix it later when I get home

simzy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/06/10
Loc: Colombia, south america
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#381064 - 02/12/19 05:16 AM

What did it end up being?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: simzy]
#381065 - 02/12/19 05:18 AM

A bit-rotted Iga Ninjutsuden bootleg (iganinjub)

apeman
Surfer
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: HI
Send PM

#381081 - 02/13/19 05:46 AM

> Apocalypse extracted the System 16B version of Bloxeed from the PS2 Sega Ages 2500
> Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection, it runs on a 171-5704 ROM board

This is cool. But how do we know that the version in a Sega Ages compilation is the same as the original System 16B code?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: apeman]
#381082 - 02/13/19 06:18 AM

I didn't say we did, but I think that is most likely the case, that the porters didn't hack the code. But at this point with mame and pcbs it doesn't make much difference since mame is no longer arcade only and it runs on pcbs. You could label the name as indicating it is a port extract or whatever.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: apeman]
#381084 - 02/13/19 07:49 AM

> > Apocalypse extracted the System 16B version of Bloxeed from the PS2 Sega Ages 2500
> > Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection, it runs on a 171-5704 ROM board
>
> This is cool. But how do we know that the version in a Sega Ages compilation is the
> same as the original System 16B code?

Below, what Smitdogg said... this is also similar to Fantasy Zone II on System16 hardware:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=701&gid=19158#19158

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: Mr. Do]
#381149 - 02/18/19 04:23 AM

And there's also the official English translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which was found not so long ago by somebody at SEGA and then released on the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 (even though MAME marks it as "English, Virtual Console").

Now that I think of it, maybe it should be the parent version, being an official overseas release and all?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: ICEknight]
#381150 - 02/18/19 09:36 AM

>And there's also the official English translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which was
>found not so long ago by somebody at SEGA and then released on the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3
>(even though MAME marks it as "English, Virtual Console").

>Now that I think of it, maybe it should be the parent version, being an official overseas
>release and all?

It is one thing when the item is supported/added to the list, but no way should it be considered the parent rom set unless there is actual pcb hardware proof that it does/did exist. If other emulators choose to do it that way, okay, but MAME should still stick with the long ago standards it started out with as far as documenting hardware.

It is unfortunate that the Sega employee probably didn't explain what pcb parts numbers 'the official English translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land' came from etc. I don't know if they provided those details, but if they did, then I can agree with the update....but as it is I can not see that being the parent rom set.

Maybe a pcb will be found later although it will take luck on such a find, but there have been unexpected finds over the years.

If anything, weeks ago I was convinced with the recent Fantasy Zone (317-0016) of being the new parent rom set, I "....took it to the DAMN BANK!.." and still lost.

--
from January...

I am confident that I am taking this Fantasy Zone as being the new parent set I will take it to "the DAMN Bank."

Lewis Black: "....you can take that to the DAMN BANK!..."

https://youtu.be/ZD1q_vx4VIc?t=142
--

Sometimes there are rare exceptions where things have to be done from scratch which was the case for some 1970s era Atari games in which actual source code was used from actual paper printouts. The Atari source code that was on paper printouts was compiled to create artificial roms in order to create some of the Atari games. This is what Mariusz Wojcieszek did several years earlier with cocktail table version of Atari Dominos and another Atari game iirc. Had there already been an existing rom set, dumped from actual pcb of an actual 4 player cocktail table Atari Dominos before Mariusz made a rom set from scratch using actual Atari source code, then Mariusz work would likely be treated as a clone set.

--
https://www.mamedev.org/?p=439

Happy birthday, MAME!
05 Feb 2017

Today marks the twentieth anniversary of the very first MAME release.

Mariusz Wojcieszek

--

*off to do some 'Serenity now' mind relaxation*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PojMFDMtnus&feature=youtu.be&t=210

Edited by gregf (02/18/19 01:22 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: ICEknight]
#381152 - 02/18/19 10:05 PM

> And there's also the official English translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land,
> which was found not so long ago by somebody at SEGA and then released on the Wii,
> Xbox 360 and PS3 (even though MAME marks it as "English, Virtual Console").
>
> Now that I think of it, maybe it should be the parent version, being an official
> overseas release and all?

It's in 'bootleg' form, split decrypted code / data.

It's also probably been patched, the magic behavior in it is very strange / broken feeling.

Had it been untouched, maybe it would have been, but it clearly isn't.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: gregf]
#381153 - 02/18/19 10:10 PM

Quote:

Sometimes there are rare exceptions where things have to be done from scratch which was the case for some 1970s era Atari games in which actual source code was used from actual paper printouts. The Atari source code that was on paper printouts was compiled to create artificial roms in order to create some of the Atari games. This is what Mariusz Wojcieszek did several years earlier with cocktail table version of Atari Dominos and another Atari game iirc. Had there already been an existing rom set, dumped from actual pcb of an actual 4 player cocktail table Atari Dominos before Mariusz made a rom set from scratch using actual Atari source code, then Mariusz work would likely be treated as a clone set.

I can easily foresee hand-linking assembler listings in hobbyist publications or application notes for systems not known to exist anywhere else. Some of those might have offered mail-order preprogrammed EPROMs when they were new, but trying to find those now would be more or less futile.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#381154 - 02/18/19 10:50 PM

>>Sometimes there are rare exceptions where things have to be done from scratch which was
>>the case for some 1970s era Atari games in which actual source code was used from actual
>>paper printouts. The Atari source code that was on paper printouts was compiled to
>>create artificial roms in order to create some of the Atari games. This is what Mariusz
>>Wojcieszek did several years earlier with cocktail table version of Atari Dominos and
>>another Atari game iirc.

> I can easily foresee hand-linking assembler listings in hobbyist publications or
> application notes for systems not known to exist anywhere else. Some of those might have
> offered mail-order preprogrammed EPROMs when they were new, but trying to find those now
> would be more or less futile.

iirc the source code documents were the results from 'safestuff' s visit to Atari company property and grabbing various items (flyers, photos, paperwork, various prototype cabs and various hardware parts etc.) while Atari Games was in process of closing down at the time.

With the source code paper printouts, there was just enough detailed specific hardware info of how roms would be arranged on pcb and other stuff in which it was enough for Mariusz to be able to create the games with the source code. Us users lucked out with things set in place to create the games with paper printouts of the source code.

I only recall seeing 2 player version of Atari Dominos. If a 4 player version existed, it was probably something over in European market.

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#383256 - 08/10/19 03:18 PM

Quote:

jordigahan sent us a dump of a Compumatic "Microdar SPD" PCB which was used on darts games from Bifuca and from Recreativos Presas S.L.

I took a look at this dump recently. Unfortunately, it's missing the first 4K of code, which appears to be internal to a 80C51 or near-equivalent made by Philips.

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Ketchup new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#383257 - 08/10/19 04:52 PM

> jordigahan sent us a dump of a Compumatic "Microdar SPD" PCB which was used on darts
> games from Bifuca and from Recreativos Presas S.L.
>
> I took a look at this dump recently. Unfortunately, it's missing the first 4K of
> code, which appears to be internal to a 80C51 or near-equivalent made by Philips.

Thanks a lot!

I’ve asked jordigahan for the PCB. I’ll add an ASCII PCB layout tonight and we’ll try to get this ROM dumped from the Philips IC.

Thanks again. Best regards: ClawGrip

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 510 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1223