View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

tattmann
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/19
Send PM

space paranoids..........
#380982 - 02/05/19 11:43 PM

Hey all, I just joined here, and am curious.... I did a search and could not find the info I was needing so decided to ask here. I personally own a discs of tron environmental, tron full size upright, afterburner 2, and am getting ready to make a mame cocktail size machine to go with the collection in my home. My question is this: Is there any way to play Space Paranoids through the mame program? The only available version I can find is a full .exe install, not a ROM set for the game. What am I missing here? I have played it multiple times in the past on my pc, it seems to have all the abilities to be run as though it were loaded in mame,(coin insert, configure etc) but can someone please tell me how exactly to do what I am wanting to do? I intend to use a front end, and completely hide all of windows so it will appear to be a straight forward cocktail multi game setup. (I just don't want to have to exit mame to load the game program in windows) I apologize in advance if this doesn't make sense,I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speak before I start cutting wood. Thank you in advance for help or advice.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: space paranoids.......... new [Re: tattmann]
#380983 - 02/06/19 12:20 AM

Space Paranoids is not a "real" arcade game. It is a PC game designed to look like the fictitious arcade game seen in the Tron movie. As such, it has no ROMs. If I recall correctly, it is a browser-based game, but I believe there's a way to play off-line.

tattmann
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: space paranoids.......... new [Re: Comboman]
#380984 - 02/06/19 12:31 AM

There was a browser version and a full downloadable version. Thats what I have. I never played the browser version. Well, hopefully someone will know if its possible. Thanks.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#380986 - 02/06/19 03:59 AM

> There was a browser version and a full downloadable version. Thats what I have. I
> never played the browser version. Well, hopefully someone will know if its possible.
> Thanks.

I don't think you understand. MAME runs unmodified arcade games using the actual data contained in the actual ROM chips from an actual arcade board. It doesn't run random PC programs. What you're asking is like asking if MAME runs Google Chrome, or Microsoft Word, or Far Cry 5: No.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: space paranoids.......... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380987 - 02/06/19 04:44 AM

Adding it to MAME is not an option but since you said you are going to use a front-end, just make sure that it has the ability to run items from the command line & you'll be fine.

You can have it run whatever you want as if it were an option on your cabinet.

There are plenty of them out there. Finding one you like will be the hard part since there are so many with many many many useful(& just as many useless) options.

Good Luck!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

tattmann
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: space paranoids.......... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#380989 - 02/06/19 05:17 PM

Thank you! I do believe this is the answer to my question. Thinking about it, its not really mame I wish to run it on, but to have a front end that will allow me to choose the space paranoids game to play as well as mame games.As I said, my original question was somewhat confusing as I could not really explain my wants. I just dont wish to exit mame or a front end to launch an outside source game. My next search will be for a front end that will allow pc game loading. I have never messed with front ends yet, so the process was confusing me. Again, Thank you!

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#381069 - 02/12/19 07:57 PM

What you are looking for is something like GameEX or LaunchBox and perhaps combine it with Hyperspin.

You can find videos of Hyperspin in action on youtube.
It allows you to set up many consoles or PC games using the software that you prefer for each.
In your case, you would have perhaps several one off games like Space Paranoids, or The Last Starfighter. Or -These titles could be incorporated into the general list of arcade titles.
When it came time to run the game, the frontend would point to paranoids.exe.
Exit out, play a game of Mr.Do and the frontend would launch Mame.exe -mrdo and so on.

Since you have an arcade collection, you could instead go down the dedicated cabinet route and just have a PC playing the title without a frontend at all. Maybe even build the custom cabinet.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 966