MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Action Hollyweird
#380842 - 01/24/19 08:36 PM

We got Action Hollywood to try and decap the PIC

PCB video

https://youtu.be/yixpDKDezmo

DU donation page

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Action Hollyweird new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380868 - 01/25/19 11:42 PM

>We got Action Hollywood to try and decap the PIC

There was someone from in the past that kept begging for this game to be in working shape. I don't remember who, but iirc they posted with something like "...hold their breath until game was fully working".

If they had only taken the "PacDude" (long ago user on old MAME.net web site forums nearly 20 years ago) approach and bitch to MAMEdevs all the time, then that person would have succeeded. *kidding*

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#380876 - 01/26/19 11:58 AM

Looks like a great game. Will donate when I get home.

Moose

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: DU: Action Hollyweird new [Re: gregf]
#382425 - 05/09/19 04:03 PM

It's not the worst game in the world although it could have done with the odd boss battle
at the end of each area, i did notice in more recent emulation videos the game has in level
music where as before it only had SFX.

I always assumed the PIC would handle the music but with no dump of it then a code improvement
must have been done sometime although no mention of this on the MAME WIP or kickgoal.c commits.

Arcade Addict

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Action Hollyweird new [Re: gamez fan]
#382426 - 05/09/19 06:09 PM

> It's not the worst game in the world although it could have done with the odd boss
> battle
> at the end of each area, i did notice in more recent emulation videos the game has in
> level
> music where as before it only had SFX.
>
> I always assumed the PIC would handle the music but with no dump of it then a code
> improvement
> must have been done sometime although no mention of this on the MAME WIP or
> kickgoal.c commits.

the PIC is in charge of it, the current handling is a simulation

the actual PIC dump will make it easier to be confident about the mapping of samples, music, channel priorities, volumes etc.

based on the protected dump(s) the program is tiny tho, so it's probably not going to change a huge amount, but it's one of those little things where I'll be a lot happier knowing it's correct for sure.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#382430 - 05/10/19 12:01 AM

> PCB video
>
> https://youtu.be/yixpDKDezmo

The music sounds really similar to Hammer Boy's and the voice in the title screen kind of sounds like the one in Megaphoenix... Coincidence?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Action Hollyweird new [Re: ICEknight]
#382431 - 05/10/19 12:55 AM

> > PCB video
> >
> > https://youtu.be/yixpDKDezmo
>
> The music sounds really similar to Hammer Boy's and the voice in the title screen
> kind of sounds like the one in Megaphoenix... Coincidence?

They're both Spanish developed games afaik.. so probably not.

There are plenty of interesting connections in the Spanish industry. As I've said before, the Little Robin hardware is basically a single PCB version of the Dinamic (MegaPhoenix, Hammer Boy) hardware, but with crappy sound system etc. the games even share the same test mode.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 690 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1168