View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Sky25
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/29/12
Send PM

Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4
#380684 - 01/17/19 03:14 AM

Hmm. I'm having a strange issue with some games from the Knights of Valour series on my Windows 7 x64 PC.

Concretely:

kov - Knights of valour
kov 2 - Knights of valour 2
kov2p - Knights of Valour 2 Plus - Nine Dragons
kov3 - Knights of Valour 3
kovplus - Knights of Valour Plus

I can't insert credits for players 3 & 4.
In the test mode, it's already set for 4 player and in the I/O test, all works as intended but ingame it doesn't work.

I already tried to erase the Nvram files and mapped the credit buttons ( 7 & 8 ) to other keys, used a new official Mame 0.205 x32 and x64 installation, with the same results.

Can someone please test if the games show the same behaviour on another system ?

Thanks

Edited by Sky25 (01/17/19 03:14 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: Sky25]
#380685 - 01/17/19 12:07 PM

> Hmm. I'm having a strange issue with some games from the Knights of Valour series on
> my Windows 7 x64 PC.
>
> Concretely:
>
> kov - Knights of valour
> kov 2 - Knights of valour 2
> kov2p - Knights of Valour 2 Plus - Nine Dragons
> kov3 - Knights of Valour 3
> kovplus - Knights of Valour Plus
>
> I can't insert credits for players 3 & 4.
> In the test mode, it's already set for 4 player and in the I/O test, all works as
> intended but ingame it doesn't work.
>
> I already tried to erase the Nvram files and mapped the credit buttons ( 7 & 8 ) to
> other keys, used a new official Mame 0.205 x32 and x64 installation, with the same
> results.
>
> Can someone please test if the games show the same behaviour on another system ?
>
> Thanks

kov,kov2,kov2nl,kovplus etc. share a coin counter for players 1 and players 2 (and players 3+4) by design

kov3 is 2 player only I believe.

Sky25
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: Haze]
#380691 - 01/18/19 01:33 AM

> kov,kov2,kov2nl,kovplus etc. share a coin counter for players 1 and players 2 (and
> players 3+4) by design
>
> kov3 is 2 player only I believe.

Yes, but the credit button for players 3 and 4 doesn't work.

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

#380695 - 01/18/19 05:05 PM

I found out it only fails when entering Service Mode using the dip switches menu using TAB key in MAME.

If you activate service mode through F2 key, then reset with F3 key the bug doesn't ocurr.

I think I'll report this in mametesters.

Sky25
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: MetalGod]
#380698 - 01/18/19 10:14 PM

> I found out it only fails when entering Service Mode using the dip switches menu
> using TAB key in MAME.
>
> If you activate service mode through F2 key, then reset with F3 key the bug doesn't
> ocurr.
>
> I think I'll report this in mametesters.

That's it! Thanks for your help.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: MetalGod]
#380699 - 01/18/19 10:32 PM

> I found out it only fails when entering Service Mode using the dip switches menu
> using TAB key in MAME.
>
> If you activate service mode through F2 key, then reset with F3 key the bug doesn't
> ocurr.
>
> I think I'll report this in mametesters.

What are we talking about here?

I can set 4 player mode in service mode

quit MAME

restart MAME

5 and 6 enter coins on the 1p/2p side
7 and 8 enter coins on the 3p/4p side

this seems correct?

Sky25
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: Haze]
#380702 - 01/19/19 12:23 AM

> What are we talking about here?
>
> I can set 4 player mode in service mode
>
> quit MAME
>
> restart MAME
>
> 5 and 6 enter coins on the 1p/2p side
> 7 and 8 enter coins on the 3p/4p side
>
> this seems correct?

If you enter the service mode via the dip switch setting using the Mame interface (Tab key), setting the 4 players mode, the credit buttons for players 3 & 4 don't work.

If you access the service mode using the F2 (default) key and resetting afterwards with the F3 (default) key, the credit buttons work as intended.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#380703 - 01/19/19 01:36 AM

> > What are we talking about here?
> >
> > I can set 4 player mode in service mode
> >
> > quit MAME
> >
> > restart MAME
> >
> > 5 and 6 enter coins on the 1p/2p side
> > 7 and 8 enter coins on the 3p/4p side
> >
> > this seems correct?
>
> If you enter the service mode via the dip switch setting using the Mame interface
> (Tab key), setting the 4 players mode, the credit buttons for players 3 & 4 don't
> work.
>
> If you access the service mode using the F2 (default) key and resetting afterwards
> with the F3 (default) key, the credit buttons work as intended.

If what you are saying is correct, then I doubt there is a bug. Many machines only read DIP status upon startup and changing DIP status and not restarting/rebooting the machine will result in some/all changes not taking effect.

It is always safest to make desired DIP changes and then hit F3 although I would suggest SHIFT+F3 to hard reset the machine akin to fully powering off/on quickly. Doing it any other way is not guaranteed and will only work if the program is made to check DIP changes on the fly, which it appears these game do not.

Sky25
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Knights of Valour, No coins for Players 3 & 4 new [Re: Tafoid]
#380717 - 01/19/19 04:47 PM

> > If you enter the service mode via the dip switch setting using the Mame interface
> > (Tab key), setting the 4 players mode, the credit buttons for players 3 & 4 don't
> > work.
> >
> > If you access the service mode using the F2 (default) key and resetting afterwards
> > with the F3 (default) key, the credit buttons work as intended.
>
> If what you are saying is correct, then I doubt there is a bug. Many machines only
> read DIP status upon startup and changing DIP status and not restarting/rebooting the
> machine will result in some/all changes not taking effect.
>
> It is always safest to make desired DIP changes and then hit F3 although I would
> suggest SHIFT+F3 to hard reset the machine akin to fully powering off/on quickly.
> Doing it any other way is not guaranteed and will only work if the program is made to
> check DIP changes on the fly, which it appears these game do not.

Let me explain it as best as I can... I know that I have to reset the machine after the dip switch change.

Using either the F2 key or the internal UI dipswitch to enter the service mode allows you to set the machine to work in 4 players mode.
RESETTING the game afterwards, saves the configuration in both cases: after restarting the machine and entering the service mode again, you can see that the 4 players mode is retained.

NOW, The difference between using the F2 key or the UI menu to enter the service mode is that with the first option, the players 3 & 4 credit buttons work and the second way don't!

Hmm. English is not my first language, but I really don't know how explain it better.

Please take your time (will not be more than 5 min.) and test it by yourself in order to see what's going on first hand.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 292 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1274