MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Nightly Build bug? - gnw_dkong2
#380571 - 01/06/19 06:26 AM Attachment: gnw_dkong2.png 365 KB (0 downloads)

Going through hydef's stuff, using a nightly build so I can test the latest files.

From the 1/2/2019 nightly build... gnw_dkong2 displays the top screen as both the top and the bottom.

At first I thought it was something setup wrong on my end, but using an earlier version of MAME works fine. Also made sure I deleted my CFG file.

Pretty sure this isn't something to post at MT, but thought I should mention it, in case no one else notices.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Nightly Build bug? - gnw_dkong2 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#380572 - 01/06/19 08:03 AM

You need to provide a revision hash for what the "nightly" build you tested was built from, and also what the "earlier version" was. Does it only affect that particular game, or are other dual screen Game and Watch titles affected (e.g. gnw_ghouse)? If others are affected, does it affect horizontal (e.g. gnw_mario) as well as vertical titles?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Nightly Build bug? - gnw_dkong2 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#380574 - 01/06/19 08:35 AM

> You need to provide a revision hash for what the "nightly" build you tested was built
> from, and also what the "earlier version" was. Does it only affect that particular
> game, or are other dual screen Game and Watch titles affected (e.g. gnw_ghouse)? If
> others are affected, does it affect horizontal (e.g. gnw_mario) as well as vertical
> titles?

Sorry... I should know better...

Build:

02/01/2019-14:05 - Based on GIT : 4568eab1d31658933c6e411d52ce23371586fc56 - MAME ver 0.205

-- gnw_dkong2 shows top screen on both top and bottom
-- gnw_mickdon displays correctly
-- gnw_mario displays correctly

Tested w/ fresh version of MAME64 0.205
-- gnw_dkong2 still works correctly on this version

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#380575 - 01/06/19 10:56 AM

It's fixed in a445d1cc63e1ec0e23306b88248ebf41a0f97b04 (it broke in 186740c33fbb5a170f039ec8078cfcf144c43ea2 - copy/paste error).

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#380581 - 01/07/19 03:36 AM

I've seen oddities like this using when using hlsl and the handhelds. Perhaps it's related.

MAME v0.205 (mame0205-268-g99479f6cd7)

The bottom screen of Oil Panic has the segments upside down and the bottom screen of Mickey and Donald is actually black.

I'm able to fix it by going into tab / video options and cycling through the different views. When I come back to the art view it's ok. My chron job build happens in 25 mins. will see if Vas' change fixes it.

PS - I presume you're monitoring Hydef's GoogleDrive, he's been updating daily.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

Re: Nightly Build bug? - gnw_dkong2 new [Re: John IV]
#380582 - 01/07/19 03:51 AM Attachment: yes.png 166 KB (0 downloads)

> PS - I presume you're monitoring Hydef's GoogleDrive, he's been updating daily.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#380584 - 01/07/19 04:00 AM

Cool, don't know how feasible it is, but it might be nice to have the old Hap style (screens with backgrounds only) as an additional art view vs. the new full view complete with cases.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#380586 - 01/07/19 04:13 AM

> Cool, don't know how feasible it is, but it might be nice to have the old Hap style
> (screens with backgrounds only) as an additional art view vs. the new full view
> complete with cases.

Already taken care of:

-- The single screen games... turn off the bezel and backdrop layers in Video Options, and you are left with just the overlay layer (background) and the screen. Props to hydef for originally setting everything up that way in the first place.

-- The dual-screen games... as turning off the layers will leave the screens too far apart, I added a separate view with just the backgrounds.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#380587 - 01/07/19 04:45 AM

> -- The single screen games... turn off the bezel and backdrop layers in Video
> Options, and you are left with just the overlay layer (background) and the screen.
> Props to hydef for originally setting everything up that way in the first place.
>
> -- The dual-screen games... as turning off the layers will leave the screens too far
> apart, I added a separate view with just the backgrounds.

The "layer" options based on the Space Invaders cabinet model are going away at the same time multi-touch support arrives. Please use groups/views instead. Legacy layouts will be supported for at least a year after this happens, but the options to enable/disable layers will go away. In exchange you'll get selectable blending mode for each element rather than it being inferred from the "layer".

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#380588 - 01/07/19 06:09 AM

> The "layer" options based on the Space Invaders cabinet model are going away at the
> same time multi-touch support arrives. Please use groups/views instead. Legacy
> layouts will be supported for at least a year after this happens, but the options to
> enable/disable layers will go away. In exchange you'll get selectable blending mode
> for each element rather than it being inferred from the "layer".

So at the end of the day... the end user will still be able to turn on/off different sections of the artwork? ... but it's just going to have to be setup differently?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#380589 - 01/07/19 06:17 AM

> So at the end of the day... the end user will still be able to turn on/off different
> sections of the artwork? ... but it's just going to have to be setup differently?

The user will be able to select views as they can now, but there will be no other options.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Send PM

#380590 - 01/07/19 06:38 AM

> > So at the end of the day... the end user will still be able to turn on/off
> different
> > sections of the artwork? ... but it's just going to have to be setup differently?
>
> The user will be able to select views as they can now, but there will be no other
> options.

Ewww...

So let's take something simple like Pole Position... it has a marquee, a bezel, and a control panel. Just three things that sit "above" the screen.

-- Some people might want to play using the entire artwork
-- Some might want just the marquee and bezel
-- Some might want just the control panel and bezel
-- Some might want just the bezel

Today... you just define the Main Artwork, and the user can make all of those choices on their own.

So you're saying to keep that same adaptability, I would now have to define four separate views?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#380593 - 01/07/19 07:33 AM

> Ewww...
>
> So let's take something simple like Pole Position... it has a marquee, a bezel, and a
> control panel. Just three things that sit "above" the screen.
>
> -- Some people might want to play using the entire artwork
> -- Some might want just the marquee and bezel
> -- Some might want just the control panel and bezel
> -- Some might want just the bezel
>
> Today... you just define the Main Artwork, and the user can make all of those choices
> on their own.
>
> So you're saying to keep that same adaptability, I would now have to define four
> separate views?

The Space Invaders cabinet model is over-stretched and doesn't fit the systems that benefit the most from interactive artwork. It's also unintuitive to build for because of the way it infers blending modes from element layers. For systems with elaborate front-panel controls, in practice people just assign things to layers and hack around until they get the result they want.

It's even over-stretched for arcade cabinets, hence needing to have the "alternate" mode hack where it uses different layer order and blending modes if a view contains multiple backdrop layer elements and no overlay elements. (This is necessary to allow Golly! Ghost! artwork without pre-matted background bitmaps with the current layer model.) It doesn't work at all for systems where you need additive mixing where screens aren't involved, e.g. LEDs behind translucent panels or diffusers or LEDs in combination with VFDs. It also doesn't deal with things like multiple LCDs stacked, where each screen needs RGB multiply blending mode.

You also get false bugs reported like Wellington Uemura reporting that a system without screens displayed nothing when he disabled all the artwork layers. Now you could argue that you should expect not to see anything if you disable all the layers, but it's unhelpful to be able to get MAME into a state where it opens a window with a zero-pixels-wide content area so you can't even see the on-screen UI. It shouldn't be too easy to completely break the user experience.

Also, you're always going to get less-than-ideal results if you allow enabling/disabling chunks of the artwork, because things won't re-tile. For example if you have bezel artwork that surrounds the display, and a marquee above that, disabling the bezel will leave blank space between the marquee and the screen and empty space on the sides of the screen. Same with control panels.

The effort to define additional views is a lot lower now that you can make reusable groups. See the internal artwork for et3400, intlc440, etc. The views require minimal markup, and the effects you see can't be duplicated by just enabling/disabling layers anyway.

For your example, you can make a group for each "area" of the artwork (marquee, bezel, control panel) and make views for combinations that make sense.

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#380596 - 01/07/19 03:19 PM

> I've seen oddities like this using when using hlsl and the handhelds. Perhaps it's
> related.
>
> MAME v0.205 (mame0205-268-g99479f6cd7)
>
> The bottom screen of Oil Panic has the segments upside down and the bottom screen of
> Mickey and Donald is actually black.
>
> I'm able to fix it by going into tab / video options and cycling through the
> different views. When I come back to the art view it's ok. My chron job build happens
> in 25 mins. will see if Vas' change fixes it.
>
> PS - I presume you're monitoring Hydef's GoogleDrive, he's been updating daily.

This is unrelated to moogly's regression/my dkong2 fix(that wasn't Vas's fix)

this is with https://tsk-tsk.net/net/extart/gnw_opanic.zip
https://imgur.com/a/W1PTmHS

Sounds like you found a funny MAME bug with hlsl. I don't know why one would use hlsl with these SVG 'screens', but this shouldn't be happening.

The .lay stacks 2 screens on top of eachother, in order to get more white border and the overlay to fit. Like all elements in a .lay file of the same type it expects the first one to have lower priority. The lower priority one is upside-down and the lcd segments should be obscured by the higher priority screen. It looks like hlsl reverses the layer priority or gets it messed up otherwise.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 544