Pages: 1

Zinger
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/19/10
Loc: Spain
Send PM

Capcom games little bugs
#380374 - 12/28/18 10:03 AM

Merry Christmas to all MAME users and developers!

I have a couple questions about some old bugs in Capcom games that are still in the newest release, and I was wondering if there were hard to fix or something:

- First is the select screen in Three Wonders. It used to be black in MAME since the game was added, but in the latest releases the screen background is red (either in World or Japan versions)

As far as I know, the screen is black on real hardware, and this looks like a regressions, so I was curious if it was difficult to revert it to the original color. I have not seen this bug on Mametesters too.

- Sencond, CPS3 games are almost perfect on MAME. Haze has fixed recently some graphical bugs on the driver too. Even so, there's this corrupted background that happens in Alex's Stage in SFIII New Generation. You can notice it on the far right side of the picture:

I have not seen on Mametesters too and I was wondering too if it was difficult to fix or not much people noticed it.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: Zinger]
#380389 - 12/29/18 12:51 AM

> Merry Christmas to all MAME users and developers!
>
> I have a couple questions about some old bugs in Capcom games that are still in the
> newest release, and I was wondering if there were hard to fix or something:
>
> - First is the select screen in Three Wonders. It used to be black in MAME since the
> game was added, but in the latest releases the screen background is red (either in
> World or Japan versions)
>
>
> As far as I know, the screen is black on real hardware, and this looks like a
> regressions, so I was curious if it was difficult to revert it to the original color.
> I have not seen this bug on Mametesters too.
>

The screen is red on real hardware, this is verified, although some monitors glitch out and strip all red from the image instead. (this happens whenever background colours are used on CPS1 games with said monitors)

MAME correctly emulates the original CPS1 background colours in all situations. Some bootlegs may differ. If you're using one of the monitors that can't handle the signal from the board it will look different tho, yes.

> - Sencond, CPS3 games are almost perfect on MAME. Haze has fixed recently some
> graphical bugs on the driver too. Even so, there's this corrupted background that
> happens in Alex's Stage in SFIII New Generation. You can notice it on the far right
> side of the picture:
>

is this confirmed as not happening on hardware?

I mean compared the Dreamcast, yeah, it seems like there's an extra layer being enabled here or something, but it's not noticeably a problem unless you cause the screen to scroll up, and even then for a brief second only, so I wonder if it's some odd design choice / bug in the game that was fixed later.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: Haze]
#380391 - 12/29/18 04:13 AM

"The screen is red on real hardware, this is verified, although some monitors glitch out and strip all red from the image instead. (this happens whenever background colours are used on CPS1 games with said monitors)"

Do you have any information on how this happens? As someone that used to do repair on arcade monitors, I don't understand how this could happen aside from the game PCB itself having a defect that kills the red output only for that scene.

Since you mentioned this I pulled up several real PCB videos of this game, and the only one I've found so far with red background had other PCB glitches happening. All others had black. It does make more sense that way since if you look at the corners of the 3 game selections have black instead of red, assuming to blend with the background.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: Reznor007]
#380392 - 12/29/18 04:30 AM

> "The screen is red on real hardware, this is verified, although some monitors glitch
> out and strip all red from the image instead. (this happens whenever background
> colours are used on CPS1 games with said monitors)"
>
> Do you have any information on how this happens? As someone that used to do repair on
> arcade monitors, I don't understand how this could happen aside from the game PCB
> itself having a defect that kills the red output only for that scene.
>
> Since you mentioned this I pulled up several real PCB videos of this game, and the
> only one I've found so far with red background had other PCB glitches happening. All
> others had black. It does make more sense that way since if you look at the corners
> of the 3 game selections have black instead of red, assuming to blend with the
> background.

Charles Macdonald (and at least one other person) did some tests on the hardware, if you look at the screens where it's black then all the red gets sucked out the image after a few lines, often creating a weird gradient. Hooked up to a capture card, it produced the expected red.

You can see the problem here at 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJeLfruoh4
instead of rendering the red the entire red from the image gets stripped away, it effectively subtracts the background colour instead of rendering it. different monitors will do this in different ways, some only doing it after a certain number of lines. there are other games where you basically end up with invisible scenes because of this behavior, so it's clearly not meant to be stripping the colour like this.

We've seen the same with some Semicom boards and others.

I'm not a hardware expert, but apparently it's some kind of design flaw with the signals being generated that some screens react badly to and others don't. There was some mod you could apply to fix it to work with all screens.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#380393 - 12/29/18 04:47 AM

Yeah, I found one where its black, but if you look closely you can see the red border slightly. Seems like a weird hardware issue where its maybe overloading the red signal and causing it to drop out. Maybe outside the normal video spec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY

Edited by Reznor007 (12/29/18 04:48 AM)

Haze
Send PM

#380394 - 12/29/18 04:58 AM

> Yeah, I found one where its black, but if you look closely you can see the red border
> slightly. Seems like a weird hardware issue where its maybe overloading the red
> signal and causing it to drop out. Maybe outside the normal video spec.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY

yep

some of the bootlegs have black too because they use different logic for the BG pen, but the original CPS1 board does output a somewhat out of spec signal with red there which can be seen in the video linked. even there it's struggling a bit tho, hence why the red is very uneven.

the same happens with several of the other background colours in the game, you can see the title screens for each game end up discoloured in many videos for the same reason.

the majority of monitors DO seem so struggle with this, which is why most of the videos you see are discoloured, but some, presumably whichever ones the game was developed with, are capable of rendering the slightly out of spec signal.

I think Capcom probably realized there was an issue with using the bg colour stuff tho, because most games don't make extensive use of it.

Zinger
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380399 - 12/29/18 09:41 AM

Damm, that's strange!
In the Saturn port of the game it seems they corrected that weird glitch and the screen is full black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjyWuc5ntUU

I remember seeing this game in arcades a lot of time back then and I don't rememeber the red color too, but now I'm doubting about those memories!

As far as the SFIII glitch goes, again, I don't remember it when I played the game on arcades, but I know that our unreliable brain is not enough for the MAME team
The ports of the game doesn't have the glitch, and this reconstructions with the game graphics show it as I remember.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an-ode-...ge-heavy.46445/

Anyway, I don't have any real hardware video to confirm, or a cabinet near my home to go to see it, so we might have to wait for confirmation to someone who owns the arcade PCB.

Edited by Zinger (12/29/18 10:43 AM)

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#380400 - 12/29/18 10:35 AM

> Yeah, I found one where its black, but if you look closely you can see the red border
> slightly. Seems like a weird hardware issue where its maybe overloading the red
> signal and causing it to drop out. Maybe outside the normal video spec.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY

Funny how nobody has mentioned THE gradient yet:

And I wonder how this is happening since it's being captured through a capture card (not the monitor's fault).

EDIT: MAME pic, for comparison:

EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem consistent with the other posted video!

Edited by ICEknight (12/29/18 11:31 AM)

kirishima
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/29/18
Send PM

#380401 - 12/29/18 11:58 AM

On the cps3 side of things, I could have sworn the graphics were marked as imperfect due to a number of things which is why nobody made a mametesters report. As for that background, the first minute of this video might help for verification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad1cQBn-gEA

Haze
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: ICEknight]
#380403 - 12/29/18 02:05 PM

> > Yeah, I found one where its black, but if you look closely you can see the red
> border
> > slightly. Seems like a weird hardware issue where its maybe overloading the red
> > signal and causing it to drop out. Maybe outside the normal video spec.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY
>
>
> Funny how nobody has mentioned THE gradient yet:
>
>
> And I wonder how this is happening since it's being captured through a capture card
> (not the monitor's fault).
>
>
> EDIT: MAME pic, for comparison:
>
>
> EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> consistent with the other posted video!

It's the same hardware flaw, the background colour is corrupting the signal, and depending on what else is on the same line it seems to vary.

as it's out of spec, every monitor / capture card etc. ends up interpreting the signal in a slightly different way.

sometimes it will remove all the background colour from every element of the screen (so if the bg colour is white, you end up with a blank display)

sometimes it will do that, but only after about 32-64 lines

sometimes it will do that to a degree, but based on what else is on the line (so you end up with this 'gradient' effect where the background colour is more visible on lines where there isn't anything else)

sometimes it will render the background colour just fine...

it's an analog property based on a PCB design flaw being interpreted in different ways by different display / capture devices, as such, it rarely looks correct and it's difficult to know what the real intent was.

Zinger
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: kirishima]
#380404 - 12/29/18 02:44 PM

> On the cps3 side of things, I could have sworn the graphics were marked as imperfect
> due to a number of things which is why nobody made a mametesters report. As for that
> background, the first minute of this video might help for verification:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad1cQBn-gEA

That's it! That's how I remenbered the game.
So it's a MAME bug possibly resulted by the imperfect video emulation.

Edited by Zinger (12/29/18 02:45 PM)

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380423 - 12/30/18 02:04 AM

> sometimes it will do that to a degree, but based on what else is on the line (so you
> end up with this 'gradient' effect where the background colour is more visible on
> lines where there isn't anything else)
The weirdest thing about that gradient is that it can be seen even before anything else appears on screen, then the logo and copyrights gradually show up and it doesn't change a bit.

> it's an analog property based on a PCB design flaw being interpreted in different
> ways by different display / capture devices, as such, it rarely looks correct and
> it's difficult to know what the real intent was.
Well... Right now, in this same topic we have two different videos from different kinds of sources (capture card footage and camera recording) which seem to match exactly. Could be a freaky coincidence, but maybe that's how it's supposed to look?

EDIT: Just in case, I'm not trying to imply that MAME is currently emulating the colors incorrectly, I know that it's indeed showing the proper generated colors.

Edited by ICEknight (12/30/18 02:21 AM)

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#380468 - 12/31/18 05:39 PM

> I remember seeing this game in arcades a lot of time back then and I don't rememeber
> the red color too, but now I'm doubting about those memories!

Your memories may be correct. Instead of 0v means black, Monitors should look for a reference signal at some point during the vblank, but the cps1 board doesn't output black all the time during vblank.

Different monitors will look for the reference voltage at different times. So it may coincide with the game outputting red or black. Whatever it thinks the reference voltage is will be subtracted from the voltages during the display.

We don't know what monitors the developers had, it's possible they had a mixture and maybe different people on the team would expect it to look different depending on which monitor they had. Some monitors may not even look for a reference voltage at all and assume 0v

Whoever decided to make the background red may have even known what effect it had and done it on purpose to remove the red from the rest of the screen, but other people involved with development may not be aware of that.

You can modify the hardware to force it to output black during blanking, but who knows whether it's correct to display red or not.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151218032807/http://www.techno-junk.org/

potentially MAME should have the option to select a monitor that will behave like a real one would.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#380472 - 12/31/18 09:41 PM

> EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> consistent with the other posted video!

That just looks like the guy had the blue on the RGB knobs turned up too much, or the G and R turned down too much. You sometimes have to adjust them for every pcb and he didn't do it correctly for this game.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380475 - 01/01/19 05:02 AM

> > EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> > consistent with the other posted video!
>
> That just looks like the guy had the blue on the RGB knobs turned up too much, or the
> G and R turned down too much. You sometimes have to adjust them for every pcb and he
> didn't do it correctly for this game.

see smf's reply, it's a weird issue with monitors that adjust their base voltage according to what it is at a certain position in vblank / vblank etc.

most do this, but not all.

maybe if one day MAME emulates different types of monitors (which in itself could add another frame of lag) we might see simulation of how each different one reacts to the signal, but until then MAME just assumes 'perfect, base voltage = 0 / black' while many monitors will do something else entirely.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#380476 - 01/01/19 06:09 AM

> > > EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> > > consistent with the other posted video!
> >
> > That just looks like the guy had the blue on the RGB knobs turned up too much, or
> the
> > G and R turned down too much. You sometimes have to adjust them for every pcb and
> he
> > didn't do it correctly for this game.
>
> see smf's reply, it's a weird issue with monitors that adjust their base voltage
> according to what it is at a certain position in vblank / vblank etc.
>
> most do this, but not all.
>
> maybe if one day MAME emulates different types of monitors (which in itself could add
> another frame of lag) we might see simulation of how each different one reacts to the
> signal, but until then MAME just assumes 'perfect, base voltage = 0 / black' while
> many monitors will do something else entirely.

In regard to the bluish pic I was responding to, that is clearly from a pcb recording setup where they have the blue adjusted wrong. It's not a pic of a monitor causing an issue or else you would see scanlines. The pcb goes to the rgb converter then the converter goes to the PC capture card and could also be split to also go to a monitor but that wouldn't change the look of the capture.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380479 - 01/01/19 10:23 AM

> > > > EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> > > > consistent with the other posted video!
> > >
> > > That just looks like the guy had the blue on the RGB knobs turned up too much, or
> > the
> > > G and R turned down too much. You sometimes have to adjust them for every pcb and
> > he
> > > didn't do it correctly for this game.
> >
> > see smf's reply, it's a weird issue with monitors that adjust their base voltage
> > according to what it is at a certain position in vblank / vblank etc.
> >
> > most do this, but not all.
> >
> > maybe if one day MAME emulates different types of monitors (which in itself could
> add
> > another frame of lag) we might see simulation of how each different one reacts to
> the
> > signal, but until then MAME just assumes 'perfect, base voltage = 0 / black' while
> > many monitors will do something else entirely.
>
> In regard to the bluish pic I was responding to, that is clearly from a pcb recording
> setup where they have the blue adjusted wrong. It's not a pic of a monitor causing an
> issue or else you would see scanlines. The pcb goes to the rgb converter then the
> converter goes to the PC capture card and could also be split to also go to a monitor
> but that wouldn't change the look of the capture.

For comparison, here's both videos in the same post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJeLfruoh4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#380480 - 01/01/19 10:30 AM

> > > > > EDIT 2: The game selection screen also looks oddly blueish... which does seem
> > > > > consistent with the other posted video!
> > > >
> > > > That just looks like the guy had the blue on the RGB knobs turned up too much,
> or
> > > the
> > > > G and R turned down too much. You sometimes have to adjust them for every pcb
> and
> > > he
> > > > didn't do it correctly for this game.
> > >
> > > see smf's reply, it's a weird issue with monitors that adjust their base voltage
> > > according to what it is at a certain position in vblank / vblank etc.
> > >
> > > most do this, but not all.
> > >
> > > maybe if one day MAME emulates different types of monitors (which in itself could
> > add
> > > another frame of lag) we might see simulation of how each different one reacts to
> > the
> > > signal, but until then MAME just assumes 'perfect, base voltage = 0 / black'
> while
> > > many monitors will do something else entirely.
> >
> > In regard to the bluish pic I was responding to, that is clearly from a pcb
> recording
> > setup where they have the blue adjusted wrong. It's not a pic of a monitor causing
> an
> > issue or else you would see scanlines. The pcb goes to the rgb converter then the
> > converter goes to the PC capture card and could also be split to also go to a
> monitor
> > but that wouldn't change the look of the capture.
>
> For comparison, here's both videos in the same post:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJeLfruoh4
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJeLfruoh4

But they get there 2 different ways and have nothing to do with each other. The pic you posted doesn't prove anything. I've recorded hundreds of pcbs. That pic is a capture from a PC card after a pcb went through an RGB card/converter and the guy has the RGB settings wrong. It doesn't show anything in regard to a monitor having an effect. It's just random coincidence that some monitors do something similar to setting the RGB knobs incorrectly for a pcb in a supergun or similar setup. There's no scanlines in the pic and it's way too perfect for a camera, it's not from an arcade monitor.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

#380481 - 01/01/19 10:40 AM

I know that one of the videos comes from a capture card, I mentioned that in the post with the pics...

You replied before I fixed one of the links, btw. =P

lain
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/25/12
Send PM

#383769 - 09/26/19 04:18 PM Attachment: sfiii3b1.gif 113 KB (0 downloads)

Have you noticed a bug in the score display order on the SFIII 2nd and 3rd bonus stage?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by lain (09/26/19 04:22 PM)

lain
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: lain]
#383770 - 09/26/19 04:24 PM Attachment: sfiii3b2.gif 124 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#383771 - 09/26/19 04:24 PM

> Have you noticed a bug in the score display order on the SFIII 2nd and 3rd bonus stage?

Have you re-tested with 0.214? Have you compared to original hardware?

lain
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#383772 - 09/26/19 04:34 PM

> Have you re-tested with 0.214? Have you compared to original hardware?

The actual score is always displayed in front.
Even 0.214 has not improved.

Haze
Send PM

#383773 - 09/26/19 04:47 PM

> > Have you re-tested with 0.214? Have you compared to original hardware?
>
> The actual score is always displayed in front.
> Even 0.214 has not improved.

I don't think it's a bug.

They flicker it every frame by intentionally changing the list order.

*edit* just had a PCB owner confirm, not a bug, clearly being done to simulate transparency against the player sprite.

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

#383790 - 09/27/19 08:40 AM

> I know that one of the videos comes from a capture card, I mentioned that in the post
> with the pics...
>
> You replied before I fixed one of the links, btw. =P

However it's captured, that part of the game was programmed to have a red background.

The pcb has a defect where it also outputs the background color when it is supposed to be outputting the black level reference value.

Anything (monitor or capture) that looks at that reference value will think that it needs to remove that amount of red from the screen. You can argue that MAME should be able to emulate that, even if it wasn't what capcom intended. But I don't expect you'll get anywhere

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

#383797 - 09/27/19 04:10 PM

@lain good catch!

I think I know that's going on there, I've noticed these objects have enabled one of unhandled bits
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/555.../cps3.cpp#L1158

should be priority or some sort of it.
will not be a problem to fix, but need to check the game code is there only one bit, or maybe more.

Edited by MetalliC (09/27/19 06:27 PM)

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#383801 - 09/27/19 06:36 PM

> Have you noticed a bug in the score display order on the SFIII 2nd and 3rd bonus
> stage?

are you sure this is a bug and real PCB doesn't do the same ?
I see the same flickering on this video (which seems was captured from real hardware @60fps) near 5:11 https://youtu.be/rNHd0Y7J3Xk?t=311
one frame player's sprite above score numbers, another frame player's sprite is behind, and so on.

but, it is still the question why score number uses that unknown bit, perhaps a game bug ?

Haze
Send PM

Re: Capcom games little bugs new [Re: MetalliC]
#383803 - 09/27/19 08:00 PM

> > Have you noticed a bug in the score display order on the SFIII 2nd and 3rd bonus
> > stage?
>
> are you sure this is a bug and real PCB doesn't do the same ?
> I see the same flickering on this video (which seems was captured from real hardware
> @60fps) near 5:11 https://youtu.be/rNHd0Y7J3Xk?t=311
> one frame player's sprite above score numbers, another frame player's sprite is
> behind, and so on.
>
> but, it is still the question why score number uses that unknown bit, perhaps a game
> bug ?

unless there are multiple hardware revisions? although a flag to force out of order on the list would be a bit out of place anyway IMHO

might just be some kind of (redundant) 'ignore global zoom' or similar (Seta 2 hardware has that for example - still need to rewrite all the rendering there and it's one of the things that makes it annoying)

either way, I got confirmation it happens using the CPS3 multigame thing and it seems to happen on the PS4 port, and there's something similar going on on the DC (can't tell if it's flicker or transparency from the videos)

I was hoping to get a confirmation of the positioning during the SF3 2nd Impact flash sequence too, but the multiboot always uses the regular routine, even for SF3 2nd Impact, so flip registers aren't involved there.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Send PM

#383805 - 09/27/19 08:25 PM

> might just be some kind of (redundant) 'ignore global zoom' or similar (Seta 2
> hardware has that for example - still need to rewrite all the rendering there and
> it's one of the things that makes it annoying)

yes, probably, had exact same thoughts about 'ignore something global' flag.

thanks for checking.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Screen oddities in Three Wonders new [Re: smf]
#383808 - 09/27/19 11:44 PM

> > > sometimes it will do that to a degree, but based on what else is on the line (so you
> > > end up with this 'gradient' effect where the background colour is more visible on
> > > lines where there isn't anything else)
> > The weirdest thing about that gradient is that it can be seen even before anything else appears on screen, then the logo and copyrights gradually show up and it doesn't change a bit.

> > For comparison, here's both videos in the same post:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfSDkGdUnY
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJeLfruoh4

> However it's captured, that part of the game was programmed to have a red background.
>
> The pcb has a defect where it also outputs the background color when it is supposed
> to be outputting the black level reference value.
>
> Anything (monitor or capture) that looks at that reference value will think that it
> needs to remove that amount of red from the screen. You can argue that MAME should be
> able to emulate that, even if it wasn't what capcom intended. But I don't expect
> you'll get anywhere

I mean, if that gradient always appears in the title screen on real hardware and it can be consistently captured with a capture card/cell phone using different boards, perhaps there might be a possibility that Capcom was well aware of it and that it may have been intentional.

Having a system that's programmed to output certain colors with the intentions of displaying others wouldn't be something new to MAME, in any case(see NTSC/PAL color artifacting).

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

Re: Screen oddities in Three Wonders new [Re: ICEknight]
#383812 - 09/28/19 11:41 AM

> perhaps there might be a possibility that Capcom was well aware of it and that it may
> have been intentional.

It is possible, although I wonder how the Saturn version made it past QA if it were.

https://youtu.be/59TDfrBuwIY?t=13

The problem with the argument of it being intentional is it looks much better without it.

I think a more compelling argument would be that it wasn't intentional, but was missed because capcom's monitors were special but it displayed incorrectly in every arcade.

Feel free to create a fork that does it

I have to admit, I can't figure out what everything you say about the gradient actually means as there are no references to where in the videos it occurs.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Screen oddities in Three Wonders new [Re: smf]
#383813 - 09/28/19 04:02 PM

> > I mean, if that gradient always appears in the title screen on real hardware and it
> > can be consistently captured with a capture card/cell phone using different boards,
> > perhaps there might be a possibility that Capcom was well aware of it and that it may
> > have been intentional.

> The problem with the argument of it being intentional is it looks much better without
> it.

> I have to admit, I can't figure out what everything you say about the gradient
> actually means as there are no references to where in the videos it occurs.

It's in the big image up there.

Arcade:

MAME:

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

#383818 - 09/28/19 09:35 PM

> It's in the big image up there.

They both have what I would call a gradient.

The drop shadow of the logo is barely visible with the dark background, which I think speaks loudly that a lighter background was intended.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Screen oddities in Three Wonders new [Re: Zinger]
#386663 - 06/08/20 12:27 PM

Somebody just tweeted a pic of a Three Wonders bootleg board hooked up to an LCD through a Supergun:

https://twitter.com/Tailsnic_Retro/status/1269624662188834826

Pitch black background, though perhaps it may have been modified by the bootleggers? None of the unofficial versions in MAME look like this.

smf
I've been here before
Send PM

#386665 - 06/08/20 04:34 PM

> Pitch black background, though perhaps it may have been modified by the bootleggers?

I'll post a summary, although this has been covered in depth elsewhere.

The cps1 video output has a hardware bug that causes the selected background color to be output when it's supposed to be outputting black for the monitor to calibrate the signal (known as reference black).

If a monitor is working within specification then it will get upset by this incorrect reference black and subtract red from the entire image, but not all monitors do work this way. It's believed on the balance of probabilities that the game was intended for monitors which don't look for the reference black at the time the cps1 board is incorrectly outputting the background color.

There is a hardware hack for cps1 boards to output the reference black at the correct time, so that all monitors will output the image in the same way.

In the case of that bootleg, it might either be that the roms have been hacked to change the background to black, it may be the video output doesn't support a background color, or the monitor might be processing the reference black in a way that is causing the red to stay in the image even though it's removed from the background.

It's impossible to say just from a picture.

Recapnation
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/10/20
Send PM

For what it's worth... new [Re: smf]
#386689 - 06/11/20 08:11 PM

Quote:

It is possible, although I wonder how the Saturn version made it past QA if it were.

https://youtu.be/59TDfrBuwIY?t=13

...that's not an actual video from the Sega Saturn version, which never got an English mode/adaptation. Here's a valid one, with the black background:

https://youtu.be/lAsT3A0LZxk?t=40

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2289