MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker
#380208 - 12/21/18 11:07 PM

verygreen and f205v extracted the Tesla-hacked version of Speed Up (Spanish bootleg of Pole Position) out of their mame software which I guess is called Mars Madness

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380209 - 12/22/18 12:20 AM

> verygreen and f205v extracted the Tesla-hacked version of Speed Up (Spanish bootleg
> of Pole Position) out of their mame software which I guess is called Mars Madness

Is that playable while driving or only when the car is stopped? If they're doing that while driving, isn't that an accident waiting to happen? I don't even want to imagine the potential legal problems for Tesla in such a scenario...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: Master O]
#380210 - 12/22/18 12:23 AM

I don't own a Tesla but from the video it doesn't look like he was driving. I've never understood how the whole driverless vehicle scenario could ever outlive lawsuits.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380211 - 12/22/18 12:25 AM

> I don't own a Tesla but from the video it doesn't look like he was driving. I've
> never understood how the whole driverless vehicle scenario could ever outlive
> lawsuits.

Not only that. Just think of the hackers from thousands of miles away ramming the cars into one another ...

Every troll and terrorist with a grudge salivates at the thought.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: Master O]
#380213 - 12/22/18 02:37 AM

> > verygreen and f205v extracted the Tesla-hacked version of Speed Up (Spanish bootleg
> > of Pole Position) out of their mame software which I guess is called Mars Madness
>
> Is that playable while driving or only when the car is stopped? If they're doing that
> while driving, isn't that an accident waiting to happen? I don't even want to imagine
> the potential legal problems for Tesla in such a scenario...

Quote:

Pole Position’s controls will apparently be linked to the Tesla’s actual steering wheel — while the vehicle is stopped, Musk made clear. It goes without saying, but no one should be messing around with any of this Easter egg stuff when behind the wheel of a moving car.

Source

f205v
Dumper
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Switzerland
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: Foxhack]
#380224 - 12/22/18 03:17 PM

No worries, the Easter-eggs menu is only accessible when car is in park.

Ciao
f205v

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#380231 - 12/22/18 06:59 PM

Huh, looks a great romhack based the "top racer"
Has the "Fuji" track included?

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Can he get sued by Atari? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380235 - 12/22/18 10:53 PM

They used a bootleg so they probably didn't buy the rights to Pole Position, did they?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Namco... new [Re: mike20599]
#380237 - 12/23/18 12:09 AM

Atari didn't make Pole Position in the first place.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Namco... new [Re: Haze]
#380238 - 12/23/18 12:16 AM

> Atari didn't make Pole Position in the first place.

The Tesla also includes ROM sets for Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Lunar Lander, and a bunch of others.

Based on the fact that in one of the videos of the easter egg, the owner taps on a button with a clear and obvious Atari logo (including the text "ATARI" beneath it), I strongly suspect that Tesla did some sort of hush-hush licensing deal with the rights-holders to Atari's back catalogue for this.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Namco... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380239 - 12/23/18 12:34 AM

> > Atari didn't make Pole Position in the first place.
>
> The Tesla also includes ROM sets for Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Lunar Lander,
> and a bunch of others.
>
> Based on the fact that in one of the videos of the easter egg, the owner taps on a
> button with a clear and obvious Atari logo (including the text "ATARI" beneath it), I
> strongly suspect that Tesla did some sort of hush-hush licensing deal with the
> rights-holders to Atari's back catalogue for this.

Whoever owns all the rights to those games has no problem whoring them out to whoever wants to pay them. Just go to a Walmart and check out the Blast! systems by AtGames, or the dozens of Atari Flashback systems they've released.

I'm sure they accepted Musk's money just fine.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Namco... new [Re: Foxhack]
#380240 - 12/23/18 12:55 AM

> > > Atari didn't make Pole Position in the first place.
> >
> > The Tesla also includes ROM sets for Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Lunar Lander,
> > and a bunch of others.
> >
> > Based on the fact that in one of the videos of the easter egg, the owner taps on a
> > button with a clear and obvious Atari logo (including the text "ATARI" beneath it),
> I
> > strongly suspect that Tesla did some sort of hush-hush licensing deal with the
> > rights-holders to Atari's back catalogue for this.
>
> Whoever owns all the rights to those games has no problem whoring them out to whoever
> wants to pay them. Just go to a Walmart and check out the Blast! systems by AtGames,
> or the dozens of Atari Flashback systems they've released.
>
> I'm sure they accepted Musk's money just fine.

That doesn't really explain why they'd use a hacked up bootleg version tho

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: f205v]
#380244 - 12/23/18 03:36 AM

> No worries, the Easter-eggs menu is only accessible when car is in park.

Yup. I've now played Mars Madness both in unmodified current MAME (Tesla uses 0.200, so good for them for being reasonably up to date) and on a Tesla Model 3. The sensitivity on the steering wheel is so high in the Tesla that I did better with the keyboard on normal MAME.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#380248 - 12/23/18 08:02 AM

It probably already took care of some of the hacking changes they wanted to do like higher speeds or something.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: R. Belmont]
#380255 - 12/23/18 10:37 AM

I wonder if Tesla is in compliance with the GPL in terms of any changes they made to MAME...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: jonwil]
#380256 - 12/23/18 11:13 AM

> I wonder if Tesla is in compliance with the GPL in terms of any changes they made to
> MAME...

They don't need to be.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but in the event that you're not: Only certain files in the MAME codebase are licensed under the GNU GPL 2.0. Other files - the majority of files including the core - are licensed under BSD 3-clause, which specifically permits commercial use without the publication of changes.

A detailed look at the codebase indicates that all of the source files associated with the drivers that Tesla are using (the Asteroids driver, the Centipede driver, and the Pole Position driver), and all of the devices used by the specific sets that Tesla are including, are licensed under BSD 3-clause.

Moreover, nowhere do they show a MAME logo, nor do they use the MAME trademark to promote their product (a car). Therefore, Tesla are 100% in the legal clear, at least as far as any possible involvement of the MAME team.

Having said that, it would certainly be a nice gesture if Elon Musk would kick down even a relatively tiny amount towards the Dumping Union as thanks for the part MAME has played in publicity the Tesla has gotten over its easter eggs. I even pointed out as much on Twitter. I sincerely doubt I'll get a response, let alone an affirmative one, but I figured I would make the tweet for laughs anyway.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Elon Musk - car builder, space traveler, city tunnel digger, elite rom hacker new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380279 - 12/24/18 12:14 AM

I didn't realize exactly what license applied to this stuff.

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

#380290 - 12/24/18 07:28 AM

> That doesn't really explain why they'd use a hacked up bootleg version tho

And if you license a game, are you legally entitled to all the bootleg derivatives of said game?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Namco... new [Re: mike20599]
#380291 - 12/24/18 09:00 AM

> > That doesn't really explain why they'd use a hacked up bootleg version tho
>
> And if you license a game, are you legally entitled to all the bootleg derivatives of
> said game?

No. Bootlegs are unauthorised derivative works, and can't be legally distributed at all. The only way to get a license for a bootleg would be to get the copyright holder and the bootlegger to come to an agreement, and then make a deal with both of them.

f205v
Dumper
Loc: Switzerland
Send PM

Re: Namco... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#380295 - 12/24/18 11:10 AM

ppspeed was done by "Aincar Sistemas" from Burgos (Spain)

The name and city are on the advertising panels on the side of the track.

The same company that also bootleged "Pengo" and called it "Pinguinos"
http://www.recreativas.org/pinguinos-1175-industria-aincar-sa

Ciao
f205v

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1092