MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Fundraiser: Help us out with some rare 1990s Street Fighter versions
#380122 - 12/18/18 08:38 AM

We need help picking up 2 undumped versions of Street Fighter games from the 1990s. We are several hundred short.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

In other news thanks to David Torres, ClawGrip & Recreativas.org we got a newer version of Galaxy Gunners from 1990 and we placed an order for a super rare revision of an incredibly famous game from 1980 thanks to recent donations that I will post more info on when it arrives, and Arcade Hacker bought a weird Gundam bootleg pcb and Phil Bennett bought an interesting game to redump which I will tell you about later when it arrives and he is ok with the info being public.

See it's all good mysteries in the dumping hood. If you donate below you can send me a PM and I'll give you the scoop on everything before it can go public if you can keep a secret up in this heezee. But seriously though if you want Capcom's Street Fighter legacy fully preserved we are the guys doing it and we need your help right now with 2 of them. I can tell you what they are in pm's or email.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Versions? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380131 - 12/18/18 01:54 PM

> We need help picking up 2 undumped versions of Street Fighter games from the 1990s.
> We are several hundred short.

Several hundred is outrageous for clones, even undumped ones.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Versions? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380143 - 12/18/18 06:45 PM

I've been paying hundreds for Street Fighter versions since before the DU even started. If you don't like it go fuck off.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Versions? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#380144 - 12/18/18 07:04 PM

> I've been paying hundreds for Street Fighter versions since before the DU even
> started. If you don't like it go fuck off.

K, well good luck with the fundraiser then. I'd chip in but I'm broke as a joke.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Versions? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#380145 - 12/18/18 07:18 PM

Yeah I'm sure it'll go just peachy now that you've taken a trolling shit all over the thread. Nice work, you're a beacon for preservation. All because you want to throw a temper tantrum over a non playable darts game that might as well have a million dollar price tag.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#380146 - 12/18/18 07:26 PM

> Yeah I'm sure it'll go just peachy now that you've taken a trolling shit all over the
> thread. Nice work, you're a beacon for preservation. All because you want to throw a
> temper tantrum over a non playable darts game that might as well have a million
> dollar price tag.

the darts game will be gone forever if we don't get at least 2 working ones to dump the ds5002, it's a suicide battery thing afterall.

random clones will not

so yeah, Moogly IS being a beacon for preservation.

yeah, the darts thing is high risk (with the potential of no reward, they could both just die in the process) but from a preservation point of view anything that we know only has a few years left in it is more important, and Peter bankrolled the existing Gaelco stuff on his own well into 4 digits.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Versions? new [Re: Haze]
#380147 - 12/18/18 07:34 PM

Horseshit on the last chance/gone forever. We have 2 full units for sale found by 1 person in little time. Does that sound like it's about to disappear forever?

It's a dart board with a screen. It's not even a videogame and there is no dart board to hook into mame. If anyone wants to pay $1,000 for it (Goldarts) you can - paypal me the money with a note saying it's for Goldarts and I'll forward the money on to buy them. I'm not blocking the purchase, I simply think everything has a price, this one is way too high for the benefits to mame, and it's so absurd that it isn't worth me entering into a fundraiser that I think will surely fail.

Haze
Send PM

#380148 - 12/18/18 07:51 PM

> Horseshit on the last chance/gone forever. We have 2 full units for sale found by 1
> person in little time. Does that sound like it's about to disappear forever?
>
> It's a dart board with a screen. It's not even a videogame and there is no dart board
> to hook into mame. If anyone wants to pay $1,000 for it (Goldarts) you can - paypal
> me the money with a note saying it's for Goldarts and I'll forward the money on to
> buy them. I'm not blocking the purchase, I simply think everything has a price, this
> one is way too high for the benefits to mame, and it's so absurd that it isn't worth
> me entering into a fundraiser that I think will surely fail.

Well the other thing with these is that they need doing while there is still a setup to do them, and while the techniques are still fresh enough in the minds of those doing them. Morten is less likely to be involved in the future too (I'm not going into reasons, he just is) and the work done for the previous ones was teamwork. Just sourcing the parts for the dumping rig will be difficult if it gets to the stage of needing to build a new one (was difficult enough buying the ones they have)

$1000 is a bit steep if that's just for one yes, I think I was told they were around 300 euros. That might be the price they are tho, as they're not likely to really be sold as loose PCBs. There might also be an MCU of some kind in the board that needs decapping. In reality the board probably just sends an input for each segment, so could be simulated with the artwork system.

Just because a few are showing up at once tho doesn't mean much. Back in the day 2 'Play 2000' (the video poker with Dallas) showed up, although one had a dead dallas, and the other had corrupt program roms. We've not seen a single one of those since, and it's been almost 10 years.

Keep in mind that with SFEX clones the regions are literally a 1 byte change tho, we've never seen an exception to that, so unless the clones in question are actually interesting / significant for other reasons Moogly is correct, those aren't worth donations, let alone donations to the tune of hundreds. Even if they are unique revisions, hundreds is somebody overcharging, those things typically go for almost nothing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#380149 - 12/18/18 08:05 PM

It's $1,000 for 2. As I said already if anyone wants to pay it they can. I've already stated all my thoughts about it.

I didn't know about the 1 byte difference. If that's always the case then you need to go add all the revisions so dumpers don't waste their money.

Haze
Send PM

#380150 - 12/18/18 08:19 PM

> It's $1,000 for 2. As I said already if anyone wants to pay it they can. I've already
> stated all my thoughts about it.
>
> I didn't know about the 1 byte difference. If that's always the case then you need to
> go add all the revisions so dumpers don't waste their money.

or we just wait for them to show up for next to nothing on boards that are sent for repair.

there are plenty of fakes out there too with repro labels, you might be surprised by how often I get asked to 'make' such things, even got a request to change the date on a game to somebody's birthday before.

I highly suspect that 1990 Galaxy Gunners is a date hack too, since only the date was different and that happened a lot in Italy (which is where they were made) although in that case we really can't tell as even the originals look like bootlegs.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#380151 - 12/18/18 08:22 PM

By that logic we should never buy any board ever again.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 564