MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

kungfum confirmed to use an 8-way instead of a 4-way joystick?
#380099 - 12/17/18 10:27 PM

I noticed that kungfum was changed from 4-way to 8-way back on MAME 0.151. Curiously, it had been changed early on from 8-way to 4-way. I've been playing it on my cab with a 4-way joystick for a long time, seemingly without issue, but will check how it plays with 8-way tonight. Coincidentally, I had been using MAME 0.151 for the past 5-6 years until now.

Is the game confirmed to be 8-way?
Was there a change to control hookups in the MAME driver or just the controller type metadata?

Edited by "The Manuel" (12/17/18 10:27 PM)

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: kungfum confirmed to use an 8-way instead of a 4-way joystick? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#380113 - 12/18/18 05:25 AM

I just finished playing a few rounds with my Happ Competition joystick and the game is just as playable as with my Ms. Pacman replacement joystick. If anything, the action feels more sloppy with the 8-way because of the reduced spring tension and added leverage, and I end up doing jumps I did not intend.

I'm just curious at this point, as to what type of stick the original machine had.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: kungfum confirmed to use an 8-way instead of a 4-way joystick? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#380115 - 12/18/18 06:18 AM

> I just finished playing a few rounds with my Happ Competition joystick and the game
> is just as playable as with my Ms. Pacman replacement joystick. If anything, the
> action feels more sloppy with the 8-way because of the reduced spring tension and
> added leverage, and I end up doing jumps I did not intend.
>
> I'm just curious at this point, as to what type of stick the original machine had.

When possible, MAME uses original game manual details and parts breakdown to determine something is intended to be controlled with 4 directions, or 8-way.
The manual sheet for Kung-Fu Master clearly denotes 8-way control: http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Kung-Fu_Master_-_1984_-_Irem.pdf

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: kungfum confirmed to use an 8-way instead of a 4-way joystick? new [Re: Tafoid]
#380116 - 12/18/18 06:20 AM

That is definitive proof, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks a lot, Tafoid.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 477