MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast
#379855 - 12/02/18 04:21 AM

twistedsymphony sent us a dump of his Sega Flash Beats machine

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: Smitdogg]
#379856 - 12/02/18 05:26 AM

> twistedsymphony sent us a dump of his Sega Flash Beats machine
>

Can you feel the beat?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: Smitdogg]
#379869 - 12/02/18 06:34 PM

> twistedsymphony sent us a dump of his Sega Flash Beats machine

Apparently each display tube is a string of RGB LEDs underneath a frosted plastic diffuser. Moogly, we're gonna need a bigger blur shader ;-)

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: Master O]
#379921 - 12/06/18 08:50 AM

If you have one of those gaming chairs with speakers in the headrest, why not?

But simulation? Is MAME going in this direction now? Makes me wonder when/if pinmame will also be merged. Then Pachislot and pachinko pachines... There's a ton of Pachislot machines I like, and in Pachinko, I dig me some of them older Fujiko and Bakabon machines.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: URherenow]
#379922 - 12/06/18 11:11 AM

It'll sort of be simulated visually but the tubes have LED lights in them moving digitally so it's not simulation of the sort you would use with pinball physics.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#379925 - 12/07/18 04:04 AM

well, that rules out pachinko, but not really pachislot. Sure there are 3 reels (6 on rare occasion, like the later tekken machine) that physically turn and stop, but that doesn't involve physics at all.

EDIT: nevermind, I never even took physics. Simulating the reels is doable when using one of those game engines (like the unreal engine, or whatever), but otherwise, I'd have no idea where to begin.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: URherenow]
#379934 - 12/07/18 03:02 PM

Well PinMAME isn't doing the simulation of pinball physics either, just offering up the switch matrices for inputs and the corresponding outputs for the visuals. They farmed that out to the hook into Visual Pinball for the rest, which isn't too dissimilar to what you're saying about using other engines etc, but I imagine there's a family size can of worms that would open up about a direct bundle of MAME with that stuff, even if outputs can be effectively hooked. Ironically the reels are probably the easiest part, as being under direct CPU control via stepper motors you could effectively treat them as frames of a predone animation (which I believe is how Visual PinMAME's depictions of WhoDunnit? work).

There have been issues on the MAME Github tracker about this for ages (to which I've been party because I've been thinking about using such things for better slot machine representation), but it all comes down to how to do this sort of thing reliably.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

Joe12345
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/08/04
Send PM

Re: mamedev has their hands full with figuring out how to simulate graphics for this beast new [Re: JWallace]
#380022 - 12/13/18 06:36 AM

> Well PinMAME isn't doing the simulation of pinball physics either, just offering up
> the switch matrices for inputs and the corresponding outputs for the visuals. They
> farmed that out to the hook into Visual Pinball for the rest, which isn't too
> dissimilar to what you're saying about using other engines etc, but I imagine there's
> a family size can of worms that would open up about a direct bundle of MAME with that
> stuff, even if outputs can be effectively hooked. Ironically the reels are probably
> the easiest part, as being under direct CPU control via stepper motors you could
> effectively treat them as frames of a predone animation (which I believe is how
> Visual PinMAME's depictions of WhoDunnit? work).
>
> There have been issues on the MAME Github tracker about this for ages (to which I've
> been party because I've been thinking about using such things for better slot machine
> representation), but it all comes down to how to do this sort of thing reliably.

well something like pinmame will be needed to do games like sigma derby or royal ascot

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1013