Pages: 1

michaelpatko
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/30/07
Send PM

MAME stands for...
#379766 - 11/30/18 06:02 AM

Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

I've been away from the scene for a few years.

The operative word being ARCADE.

Why the heck are Tiger games, and computers in the official build now?

Not angry, just interested in what the discussion was, and why they were ultimately included?

Thanks everyone

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: michaelpatko]
#379767 - 11/30/18 06:38 AM

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#379768 - 11/30/18 08:24 AM

Call it Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator now.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#379769 - 11/30/18 09:53 AM

https://www.mamedev.org/

"MAME is a multi-purpose emulation framework.

MAME's purpose is to preserve decades of software history. As electronic technology continues to rush forward, MAME prevents this important "vintage" software from being lost and forgotten. This is achieved by documenting the hardware and how it functions. The source code to MAME serves as this documentation. The fact that the software is usable serves primarily to validate the accuracy of the documentation (how else can you prove that you have recreated the hardware faithfully?). Over time, MAME (originally stood for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) absorbed the sister-project MESS (Multi Emulator Super System), so MAME now documents a wide variety of (mostly vintage) computers, video game consoles and calculators, in addition to the arcade video games that were its initial focus."

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#379771 - 11/30/18 10:28 AM

> Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
>
> I've been away from the scene for a few years.
>
> The operative word being ARCADE.
>
> Why the heck are Tiger games, and computers in the official build now?
>
> Not angry, just interested in what the discussion was, and why they were ultimately
> included?
>
> Thanks everyone

MAME stands for MAME, there is no acronym. The term "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator" hasn't been used officially for several years (although the old logo showing the text is still inexplicably on the Wikipedia page).

Computers and home systems are in the official build because MESS was merged into MAME - MESS was already based on MAME to start with, the difference being that MESS was forgotten most of the time so some of the emulation code remained outdated while being constantly improved on the MAME side. Now it's just playing catch-up to bring the emulation code out of 2003, and with that comes the hundreds of obscure games, computers, clones and bootlegs when the emulation starts working properly, just like MAME did in the early days, dumping and emulating several hundred obscure games, clones, conversions and bootlegs. The only reason the handhelds weren't in MAME/MESS earlier is that no-one in the scene had decapped the chips until recently (something which is/was extremely expensive) and there was no other way of dumping the custom/obscure ROMs hidden inside a blob of epoxy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#379772 - 11/30/18 10:47 AM

>Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

Used to when Nicola S. started the project, but when Micko took over around 2010 or 2011, the source code from MESS had been incorporated to MAME source code because some coin operated games also used some home computer components. It made sense to combine source code of both projects into MAME's source code at the time.

The eventual decision to combine everything and have MAME no longer be of what the acronym stood for was back in April/May 2015...old thread link for reference.

-
MAME now includes MESS by default!
05/09/15 09:20 PM

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
-

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#379775 - 11/30/18 12:29 PM

As others have said, the project evolved, merged with the MESS and continued on stronger than ever?

Why? many reasons, but maybe the most important one for me can be highlighted with some of the recent work that's being done, which includes the Tiger stuff.

If you look at what MAME has achieved over the years the main thing you can take from it is how it has stopped many obscure, forgotten and obsolete pieces of hardware from simply being forgotten; things that nobody would otherwise care about, things that don't really warrant their own emulator because it would just end up dying out and being forgotten too.

Outside of arcade titles that wasn't happening. Things like the Tiger games, or as we've seen more recently this entire rabbit-hole of Plug and Play TV games simply weren't being covered in any active project, or if they were, the projects were also obscure and not really helping the preservation cause because they were going mostly unnoticed (and I'll include the MAME sister project 'MESS' in that)

By pushing such things to the forefront of MAME alongside the other things, the excellent work being done by MAME ended up applying to a whole lot more, suddenly these things had a home in an emulator that people were using, and wasn't also just going to slip by unnoticed. Ironically, that's why even when people complain about these things being added, or have complained about Mahjong games in the past etc. I don't take it as a negative because it means they're being noticed, and if they're being noticed, they're not forgotten.

The move has really spurred interest in things, both for devs and end users, I don't think anybody had really investigated a lot of the material now being covered *at all* prior to MAME and related developers looking at it and by placing eyes on said things important research has been initiated in many cases.

>
>
>
>
> Not angry, just interested in what the discussion was, and why they were ultimately
> included?
>
> Thanks everyone

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#379784 - 11/30/18 04:22 PM

You can secretly call it "Multiple Assorted Machines Emulator", if it bothers you. :P

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#379785 - 11/30/18 04:23 PM

>
>
>
>
> included?
>
> Thanks everyone

Does Sega still stands for Service Games? Is Capcom still standing for Capsule Computers? IGN yet stands for Imagine Games Network? MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) and MESS (Multi Emulator Super System) merged into UME (Universal Machine Emulator) in 2012 as a fork. But officially MAME doesn't stand for its acronym since 2015 when 0.162 came out.

Sky25
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/29/12
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: LensLarque]
#379788 - 11/30/18 04:41 PM

Or call it simply:
Multiple Archaic Machines Emulator

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: Robbbert]
#379792 - 11/30/18 06:02 PM

What presumptions did he make?

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: roscian]
#379809 - 12/01/18 02:29 AM

He made the assumption that MAME still stood for MULTIPLE ARCADE MACHINE EMULATOR. He assumed that it should only run ARCADE games. Rather than taking 2 seconds to do some research into the changes, he came off as a smartass & somehow felt a discussion was required to sort out his confusion. Personally I found it funny that he stated he wasn't "angry"...like he would have had some right to feel that way about changes to the program & his lack of understanding of those changes. I don't think anyone really cares how he feels about it

Edited by Envisaged0ne (12/01/18 02:31 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#379815 - 12/01/18 05:33 AM

So, no presumptions? And, as a side note, people do have a right to feel how they feel. I'm still pissed off my L.A. Dodgers lost the World Series. Stupid Dodgers. I would tear up my season tickets if I had any.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#379819 - 12/01/18 08:23 AM

Munches Ass Munchers Exstream

Just kidding. Anyway it just MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: Sky25]
#379844 - 12/01/18 09:04 PM

Neither. It's MAME. MAME AIn't a Motherfuckin' E...acryonym.

Sky25
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/29/12
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#379853 - 12/02/18 02:42 AM

> Neither. It's MAME. MAME AIn't a Motherfuckin' E...acryonym.

... It was just a joke... A Motherf...... joke

Edited by Sky25 (12/02/18 02:44 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME stands for... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#379858 - 12/02/18 07:43 AM

> Neither. It's MAME. MAME AIn't a Motherfuckin' E...acryonym.

Recursive acronym for "MAME: A Modular Emulator" is good enough.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

#379861 - 12/02/18 12:53 PM

Personally, I kinda like the somewhat tongue-in-cheek 'Mame And Mess Emulator', which makes sense since the MAME and MESS projects merged (but the name obviously doesn't really stand for).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 772