MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

Old Casio watches emulation
#379601 - 11/16/18 04:58 PM

Just out of curiosity ... What kind of processor/MCU does Casio's old LCD watches use? Something like G-SHOCK DW 5000C (1984), T-1500 (1982), C-80 (1980) or CD-40 (1984).

May be a future target for emulation... Being that old, probably the internal ROM can be visually extracted after a decap.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: ClawGrip]
#379622 - 11/18/18 05:39 AM

>Just out of curiosity ... What kind of processor/MCU does Casio's old LCD watches use?
>Something like G-SHOCK DW 5000C (1984), T-1500 (1982), C-80 (1980) or CD-40 (1984).

A specific question for either Sean Riddle or hap. I don't know if anyone has worked on that stuff yet.

>May be a future target for emulation... Being that old, probably the internal ROM can be
>visually extracted after a decap.

Yep. Sometime later in case you have watches available to be worked on.

If you haven't seen Moogly's post earlier, a lot of items in the works. Sean and others will be working on a lot of various lcd items for quite a while.

"Currently waiting on Sean to finish the stuff that's got him occupied until at least the end of December, so I'm just accumulating stuff until then."

ClawGrip
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: gregf]
#379646 - 11/19/18 10:38 AM

> If you haven't seen Moogly's post earlier, a lot of items in the works. Sean and
> others will be working on a lot of various lcd items for quite a while.

Yes... Sean's TO-DO list is insane, and it's getting bigger every hour.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#379648 - 11/19/18 11:41 AM

> > If you haven't seen Moogly's post earlier, a lot of items in the works. Sean and
> > others will be working on a lot of various lcd items for quite a while.
>
> Yes... Sean's TO-DO list is insane, and it's getting bigger every hour.

and also, he isn't a miracle worker, some things are beyond his capabilities too.

so far all the watches we've seen have used MCU types he can't handle. not Casio ones specifically (I'm not personally aware of any decaps of them) but the gaming ones, certainly.

we've very lucky to have people capable of handling any of this stuff (if you'd said we would be doing this even 10 years ago there would have been plenty of people laughing at you) the last few years have been phenomenal in what has been accomplished, even if so many people still think MAME's best days were the late 90s.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: Haze]
#379650 - 11/19/18 02:57 PM

>so far all the watches we've seen have used MCU types he can't handle. not Casio ones
>specifically (I'm not personally aware of any decaps of them) but the gaming ones, certainly.

Wasn't my thing since I am from an older/earlier generation, but I can see why the watches would be on younger generations wishlist since some were popular back then. Just need anyone (a fan of those items) to collect and hold on to the items until there is time for someone to work on those.

>we've very lucky to have people capable of handling any of this stuff (if you'd said we
>would be doing this even 10 years ago there would have been plenty of people laughing at
>you) the last few years have been phenomenal in what has been accomplished,

The softlist/hashlist support was the big thing back in 2010. I wasn't sure how that would work out at the time, but glad to see that set up and being put to use over past several years.

Even though MAME and MESS source code had merged a couple years before it all became MAME, the first led item that caught my attention was Parker Brothers Merlin - The Electronic Wizard being supported in late 2013 when it was still in MESS only. I wasn't sure if things would expand from there and other handheld games would be supported, but glad that Sean and hap and a couple others got things started with more of the led games being supported including Milton Bradley's Simon.

The fact that MAME now supports/preserves some of the electronic musical equipment was something I thought maybe was a longshot even about 5 years ago I didn't expect much to happen in that area. The Casio drum machine from earlier this year, was a big deal imo........even if Orclord (to newcomers...a former MW regular and also a drummer himself, but only likes real drums and doesn't care for the electronic stuff) poohs on the electronic stuff. *kidding Orc*

>even if so many people still think MAME's best days were the late 90s.

That would probably be only the PacMan, Frogger, and Atari System 1 or 2 fans that were satisfied and then left the scene shortly after.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#379651 - 11/19/18 03:02 PM

>> If you haven't seen Moogly's post earlier, a lot of items in the works. Sean and
>> others will be working on a lot of various lcd items for quite a while.

>Yes... Sean's TO-DO list is insane, and it's getting bigger every hour.

Just need someone that still has any of those Casio watches to hold on to them for a while if possible before they can be worked on.

Edited by gregf (11/19/18 03:14 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: gregf]
#379652 - 11/19/18 03:07 PM

> Fortunately there is another contributor in Europe that can do same work that Sean
> has been doing.

Not so. That contributor in Sweden can dump things that have known exploits to allow them to be dumped electronically. He doesn't do decapping.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379653 - 11/19/18 03:13 PM

>>Fortunately there is another contributor in Europe that can do same work that Sean
>>has been doing.

>Not so. That contributor in Sweden can dump things that have known exploits to allow them
>to be dumped electronically. He doesn't do decapping.

Awww....bummer. I thought he also did decapping work too. Okay...the Casio watches stuff back to Sean again.

ClawGrip
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: Haze]
#379654 - 11/19/18 05:05 PM

> so many people still think MAME's best days were the late 90s.

For me, having SunOS/Solaris, HP-UX and IRIX workstations running is something unbelievable, awesome. I'd love to see also a Tru64/ALPHA workstation emulated, and I'm sure we'll see it on a few years...

Also, it would be nice if someone could find a copy of Sun Spring OS for SPARC and/or Windows NT for SPARC (ported by Integraph), both OS are almost lost and forgotten.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#379656 - 11/19/18 06:32 PM

>For me, having SunOS/Solaris, HP-UX and IRIX workstations running is something
>unbelievable, awesome.

A fan of dxl's work there...and I am guessing you have already read his posts. He posted instructions already of how to set up HP-UX on Bannister's forum so users can now build their own compile of MAME first, if wanting to, and then install and run HP-UX at this time or wait until next official MAME release is out.

--
dxl

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=114319#Post114319

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=114327#Post114327
-

> I'd love to see also a Tru64/ALPHA workstation emulated, and I'm sure we'll see it on a
>few years...

Mine is AT&T 3B2 system....although I'd prefer Mattel Electronics Football being emulated first if possible. ;-) That Mattel Electronics Football bootleg Conic Football audio is terrible and not like the real Football.

Keatah
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/23/12
Send PM

#379720 - 11/27/18 03:33 AM

MAME's best days were indeed the late 90's and early 2000's. Nowadays it seems like an uncoordinated heap falling in on itself.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Old Casio watches emulation new [Re: Keatah]
#379722 - 11/27/18 06:29 AM

> MAME's best days were indeed the late 90's and early 2000's. Nowadays it seems like
> an uncoordinated heap falling in on itself.

lol

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#379723 - 11/27/18 10:40 AM

> MAME's best days were indeed the late 90's and early 2000's. Nowadays it seems like

In the old days of triple-figure megahertz PCs and dialup modems, bashing MAME used to mean an extra month or year's wait for a game or its hardware to be emulated. These days, the punishment is for something to be added immediately. If only I had $1 for every time someone bashed MAME where as if my magic, a slot machine, video poker game, mahjong game, handheld LCD device, green screen computer or a screenless mechanical device immediately shows up under the title "New NOT-WORKING machine" in MAME's git repository.

As for old MAME builds, I distinctly remember [insert any version of MAME this side of about 0.75 here] being so much better than those from the DOS era, and almost every successive version being better than the previous version. The only thing early builds of MAME had going for them back then was the fact that in most cases MAME was the sole emulator for certain arcade games. And if a game weren't considered working for whatever reason, if you wanted to test them or help get them working you had to completely recompile the emulator to get rid of the TESTDRIVER flag just so they would even show up at all.

Also, anything that was arbitrarily considered to be "not an arcade machine" was immediately banned from being added too, even if said game was actually in the arcades but happened to have a payout/redemption feature or didn't otherwise fit the category of an arcade game. And because these machines were also not home computers or game consoles, they weren't allowed in MESS either. Thus, weird derivative builds such as SNAME (simulation and non-arcade machine emulator, based on MAME 0.29 IIRC - which included all the gamblers up to that time as well as the dodgy "emulation" of the non-CPU game Monaco GP and the even dodgier "emulation" of Pong) started appearing. This was long before MAGE (aka AGEMAME) entered the scene with its video-based gambling games. I don't know the history of PinMAME or MFME (pinball and UK fruit machines respectively) or if they even have anything to do with MAME's internal organs.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#379727 - 11/27/18 03:28 PM

I guess you're trolling, because the late 90s and early 2000s it was an uncoordinated heap compared to today. It practically *did* fall in on itself. At that time everything was managed by one person, no transparency, nobody having a clue if their changes would make it or not until months after submission sometimes (therefore not being able to easily improve on anything etc.) I was there, I did the coordination for a while, after the original person doing it could no longer keep up. It was a full time job that left me little time to actually code drivers which is what I wanted to be doing.

During the period in question there was also an anti-pattern of 'complete driver ownership' that meant people often didn't collaborate or got over sensitive about people working on code they wrote, which no doubt was in part due to the lack of transparent organization, as everything was being done by hand there was no way to easily coordinate work between multiple people, or resolve code conflicts.

These days there's a nice (well, acceptable, it can be a ballache) Github system for code management, everybody is working together, the latest changes and code can always be seen, you can continue working on things easily after initial submission without it being an inconvenience for anybody else, and the results are telling.

There are issues sometimes with people poking their noses in a little too much with the work other people are doing, but even that seems to have died down, the past 2 months or so for example have been very productive because the balance of everything has been near enough perfect.

The code is vastly improved these days too, and most of the time when buggy drivers need to be improved it's obvious just from looking at them how old the code is, and how much work it actually needs to bring it up to scratch. That was the case with the SSV work I just did, you could see that the code was dated just from looking at it, because it was written at a time when those were the standards.

In terms of getting things done, and making things correct the current setup is very efficient, and you're seeing all sorts of things nobody dreamed possible back then happening, all with far less overhead.

I guess what you actually want to say is that MAME no longer appears to be a simple program that fits your definition of something that let you pirate arcade games for free, and that we're working on things you don't care about. It actually requires you to have some knowledge of what you might want to run.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#379745 - 11/28/18 08:50 PM

>MAME's best days were indeed the late 90's and early 2000's.

Wrong. The best days back then were the various forums of web sites (many no longer exist) in which arguments, bickering and trash talk of which console systems were the best or argument threads on other topics.

Game emulation was still a ways off unless one only liked well known 1980s era games and even then exact emulation timing may still be off a bit. Haze and Heihachi_73 already said what needed to be said.

I miss the long ago early era MW loony bin forum years when posters would trash each other with funny comments (mainly kidding around with each other), but as MAME emulation continues, the newly supported stuff is way too awesome to ignore such as support for
Casio RZ1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_uf5kXH8zQ&feature=youtu.be&t=16

And then what could be possibility in the future with other Casio emulation.

This is why MAME gets better even though there is a learning curve if wanting to do specific computer emulation. Other than that, there is no contest compared to the early beginnings era.

If there is any correct software complaint, point to M$ and their Windows 10 products.

*time to now sashay to some funky soul style Burger King 1970s ads*

Burger King - Have It Your Way Commercial - (Soul Version) - 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZaBvqsh0I

Keatah
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/23/12
Send PM

#379928 - 12/07/18 11:03 AM

It's all good. MAME continues to remain a staple on my emulation rigs. And I have nothing but respect for the folks working on it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 960