MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: A smashing job
#379446 - 11/09/18 05:12 PM

ClawGrip spotted a Smashing Drive pcb for sale with a different checksum at the bootup. Metallic figured out it meant there was only a 1 byte change vs. the dump in mame and tested out changes and we now have all the regions.

VampierMSX and Porchy dumped an alt version of Gameboy Color Pocket GT that I think is a EU or US version of it before its name got changed to Pocket Racing.

ClawGrip and Recreativas.org dumped 4 DSVision games: Duel Masters Box Set (vol 1, 2 and 3) and Pokémon - The Power of One.

xuserv sent us a dump of Snow Bros 2 (Alternate Dump With Ending Credits).

Click here to visit the DU donation page

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Any status on Rolling Extreme? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#379455 - 11/09/18 09:09 PM

Nice find on Smashing drive. I now ask about Rolling Extreme's status. I heard the game was dumped but not added to mame yet.

Just a quick reminder, some confuse Rolling Extreme's hardware to run on that custom Gaelco SH-4/PowerVR based hardware. It doesn't run on that hardware. The hardware it runs on is similar to Radikal Bikers but with two tms32082 dsps. Last report on this game in mame was back in 2013.

Hope someone still has this game dumped to add in mame.

-.-

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Any status on Rolling Extreme? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379456 - 11/09/18 09:20 PM

> Nice find on Smashing drive. I now ask about Rolling Extreme's status. I heard the
> game was dumped but not added to mame yet.
>
> Just a quick reminder, some confuse Rolling Extreme's hardware to run on that custom
> Gaelco SH-4/PowerVR based hardware. It doesn't run on that hardware. The hardware it
> runs on is similar to Radikal Bikers but with two tms32082 dsps. Last report on this
> game in mame was back in 2013.
>
> Hope someone still has this game dumped to add in mame.

Yeah, it is in MAME:
rollext "ROLLing eX.tre.me"
It was added over 3 years ago, some minimal work on video but nothing else has been done to my knowledge. Wherever you heard it was not added to MAME was misinformed/ignorant to the facts present.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: A smashing job new [Re: Smitdogg]
#379458 - 11/09/18 09:39 PM

>ClawGrip spotted a Smashing Drive pcb for sale with a different checksum at the bootup.
>Metallic figured out it meant there was only a 1 byte change vs. the dump in mame and
>tested out changes and we now have all the regions.

Very good find there. Good to know that covers all the alternate (region) versions etc.

Moulbillard
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/09/18
Send PM

#379460 - 11/09/18 10:12 PM

Nice game hope emulate on next mame👍

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

I have to ask new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379461 - 11/09/18 10:17 PM

> Nice find on Smashing drive. I now ask about Rolling Extreme's status. I heard the
> game was dumped but not added to mame yet.
>
> Just a quick reminder, some confuse Rolling Extreme's hardware to run on that custom
> Gaelco SH-4/PowerVR based hardware. It doesn't run on that hardware. The hardware it
> runs on is similar to Radikal Bikers but with two tms32082 dsps. Last report on this
> game in mame was back in 2013.
>
> Hope someone still has this game dumped to add in mame.

Why are you so obsessed with 3D games in MAME?

For that matter, why do you claim responsibility for Road Burners being "working" in MAME when all you did was add the "working" flag to the game? Why are you posting about NBA Showtime in unrelated Github threads? You have apparently been driving away MAME developers on Reddit with incessant questions as well.

As someone on the autism spectrum, I have to ask, are you autistic, too? I have no other way to explain your oddly direct communication and your obsessive nature.

In any case, dial it back a few thousand notches, please.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

I'll answer new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379464 - 11/10/18 12:43 AM

> Why are you so obsessed with 3D games in MAME?
>
> For that matter, why do you claim responsibility for Road Burners being "working" in
> MAME when all you did was add the "working" flag to the game? Why are you posting
> about NBA Showtime in unrelated Github threads? You have apparently been driving away
> MAME developers on Reddit with incessant questions as well.
>
> As someone on the autism spectrum, I have to ask, are you autistic, too? I have no
> other way to explain your oddly direct communication and your obsessive nature.
>
> In any case, dial it back a few thousand notches, please.

You have stated the obvious . We all have our obsessions in certain games and hardware and would like to improve upon them for mostly because this certain hardware or games feel more "underappreciated" and "obscure".

I think you may have may have mistaken Road Burners for Cart Fury for I requested that game to be promoted after a lot of playtesting on my i5 8600K PC. Rolling Extreme progress in mame I think didn't get enough attention so some of us forgot it was added. What a relief to know.

Your question, Mog, and how you asked reminded me of a PCSX2 dev once yelled at me from my obsessive nature with Namco System 246 support (and for a good reason) because of its current status. As a result, I no longer have interest in PCSX2 for System 246 support. It didn't help that some reddit users discovered not only how bad the current state of ps2 emulation in general is but how difficult it was. Your recent work on ps2 emulation (as well as its arcade hardware) in mame was promising Mog but I could see why you put that on hold.

So the whole reason why I am obsessed with these 3d games is because most arcade hardware I am fascinated in runs 3d games. I'd rather not tell what hardware I am interested in seeing emulated and working. I'll leave you with one final message.

I'd rather see Fighting Bujutsu running in mame at full speed over Super Mario Odyseey running in Yuzu at 4k.

-.-

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Thanks for your kind answer! new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379465 - 11/10/18 12:58 AM

> You have stated the obvious . We all have our obsessions in certain games and
> hardware and would like to improve upon them for mostly because this certain hardware
> or games feel more "underappreciated" and "obscure".
>
> I think you may have may have mistaken Road Burners for Cart Fury for I requested
> that game to be promoted after a lot of playtesting on my i5 8600K PC. Rolling
> Extreme progress in mame I think didn't get enough attention so some of us forgot it
> was added. What a relief to know.
>
> Your question, Mog, and how you asked reminded me of a PCSX2 dev once yelled at me
> from my obsessive nature with Namco System 246 support (and for a good reason)
> because of its current status. As a result, I no longer have interest in PCSX2 for
> System 246 support. It didn't help that some reddit users discovered not only how bad
> the current state of ps2 emulation in general is but how difficult it was. Your
> recent work on ps2 emulation (as well as its arcade hardware) in mame was promising
> Mog but I could see why you put that on hold.
>
> So the whole reason why I am obsessed with these 3d games is because most arcade
> hardware I am fascinated in runs 3d games. I'd rather not tell what hardware I am
> interested in seeing emulated and working. I'll leave you with one final message.
>
> I'd rather see Fighting Bujutsu running in mame at full speed over Super Mario
> Odyseey running in Yuzu at 4k.

I realize that my question was worded in a confrontational manner, and I apologize for that.

I can certainly appreciate having things that really float your boat when it comes to emulation: For me, it's mainly old *ix workstations, hence my efforts to get the SGI Indy and the Sun SPARCstation line running.

In any case, I'm sorry for doubting you, and I'll do my best to be more understanding in the future.

In turn, I'll leave you with a bit of final advice: The majority of people working on MAME are folks in their mid 30's and up. As such, the fabled "Real-Life Syndrome" is a major factor in how quickly and how often people are able to contribute. People can and do react badly to what they perceive as being pressured too hard and too often to contribute when they have reasons - often personal ones - for not being able to give the sort of turnaround time that others appear to expect.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thanks for your kind answer! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#379477 - 11/10/18 07:51 PM

Mid 30s and up? That I hope I can tolerate...at least compared to some PCSX2 devs that would prefer porting their work to Android instead of attempting PS2 based arcade hardware (Namco System 2X6 and Konami Python). I personally think Mame has a better chance of emulating PS2 based arcade hardware and although this would take an extremely long time, I'd rather accept that over PS2 emulator developers that would choose to port their work to a portable system that generally has weak processing power.

That being said, thanks for the advice. I have some work in mame I hope to get done.

-.-

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#379478 - 11/10/18 08:15 PM

>
> xuserv sent us a dump of Snow Bros 2 (Alternate Dump With Ending Credits).
>

this one is really curious

it was added as a bootleg, which is understandable with the copyright change, and blank 'license' strings (which can be hidden if you turn the 'all rights reserved' dipswitch on)

but what's really interesting is that those strings, and the end credits are *blanked out* in the parent set (all text replaced with blank space character 0x20) as if they intentionally wanted to hide the developers, which you'd actually expect from a bootleg.

so yeah.. that's a strange thing.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: A smashing job new [Re: Haze]
#379479 - 11/10/18 08:18 PM

Maybe for this version sold within Korea they didn't give a shit about hiding their identity.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#379480 - 11/10/18 08:22 PM

> Maybe for this version sold within Korea they didn't give a shit about hiding their
> identity.

yeah, we know the release of the game was weird anyway, hence the Hanafram copyright rather than Toaplan in the first place. Maybe this one was sent to manufacturers for them to fill in the license string.

there are other changes to the code aside from the text changes that need analyzing (all patches, not recompiled code, unclear which set is the patched one) but yeah, there's definitely a story behind this one somewhere, also not entirely sure we should be calling it a bootleg.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: I'll answer new [Re: Hydreigon]
#379484 - 11/10/18 09:49 PM

*nostalgia time*

>We all have our obsessions in certain games and hardware and would like to improve upon
>them for mostly because this certain hardware or games feel more "underappreciated" and
>"obscure".

Yep. Description best fits the emulation scene. Each emulation follower/fan has a specific game or games and that might be specific hardware that runs multiple games or different games that run on a wide variety of hardware platforms.

Had you followed emulation way back in late 1990s when Lev maintained ztnet that host lots of emulations sites back in the days, you would have sworn that Sega System 16 or System 18 games and Capcom CPS-2 were the only arcade games ever made because that appeared to most of the topics back then imo. Maybe pong, Computer Space, or Death Race question might appear on an extremely rare occasion.....or even a particular Nintendo WG film reel arcade fan might make a post. *admits being guilty*

When Gridle was maintaining old MAME.net web site and forums back then in years 1999 to 2001 "When will CPS-2 be emulated?" posts seemed to appear on an daily basis. Then it eventually became "When will Razoola have XOR file to emulate [name-any-specific-CPS2 game]?" once there was a way to emulate CPS2 games via a semi-hack solution until Charles/Guru/Nicola/A. Naive were able to properly emulate CPS-2.

Seeing MAME (and formerly MESS too) evolve and branching out to computer systems and other devices over the years brings in a variety of different followers while earlier generations of contributors have moved on to other interests now that a lot of their specific 'wanted' items are now emulated.

>So the whole reason why I am obsessed with these 3d games is because most arcade hardware
>I am fascinated in runs 3d games. I'd rather not tell what hardware I am interested in
>seeing emulated and working.

It is good to see progress happening even if it is a slower pace for some of the hardware used with specific 3D arcade games.

It is the same for my non-cpu arcade games interest since that is my arcade generation of years 1968 to 1987. After discovering MAME in spring 2000 as newbie then, I had to learn along the way of why some games were missing sounds and then had to brush up with getting an understanding with analog / discrete audio and seeing how the sounds were generated and seeing how they were documented in schematics etc.

Lucky that Derrick Renaud and Zsolt V. knew their analog stuff because the two (along with a couple others including couriersud) were able to add analog audio support for several of the games.

>Rolling Extreme progress in mame I think didn't get enough attention so some of us forgot
>it was added. What a relief to know.

Same sentiment with roms and proms being documented and dumped in MAME source code for several of the yet to be hopefully emulated non-cpu arcade games.

>Your question, Mog, and how you asked reminded me of a PCSX2 dev once yelled at me from
>my obsessive nature with Namco System 246 support (and for a good reason) because of its
>current status. As a result, I no longer have interest in PCSX2 for System 246 support.
>It didn't help that some reddit users discovered not only how bad the current state of
>ps2 emulation in general is but how difficult it was. Your recent work on ps2 emulation
>(as well as its arcade hardware) in mame was promising Mog but I could see why you put
>that on hold.

I liked how one poster in the past (probably Democratic Underground forums iirc) described "reddit" and 4chan as the places for those wanting to have "kick me" signs taped to their backside.

Props to Moogly for getting some of the skeleton source files in place since it might take a while getting some of components emulated first before the specific arcade game can ever be supported. I am not sure how far the Namco System 246 has come along, but it also required someone similar with Guru's skills to also know what it takes to get roms or discs properly dumped. So for MAME continual progress evolvement, it requires a variety of contributors along the way. Hopefully Namco System 246 might be eventually working even if it takes time.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 834