MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)?
#379347 - 11/04/18 03:07 AM Attachment: 0005.png 6 KB (0 downloads)

See attached photo. A friend asked me for help, but I couldn't figure out how to hide it in screenshots (I thought disabling it in MAME itself would hide it, but it's still showing in the shots.)

Thanks!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Foxhack]
#379349 - 11/04/18 03:50 AM

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Robbbert]
#379350 - 11/04/18 04:10 AM Attachment: 0006.png 4 KB (0 downloads)

> > See attached photo. A friend asked me for help, but I couldn't figure out how to
> hide
> > it in screenshots (I thought disabling it in MAME itself would hide it, but it's
> > still showing in the shots.)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> I couldn't find a way either. Just like invaders, the green overlay is always there,
> like it or not. In fact the full external artwork will show in the screenshot too,
> unless you use something like -artpath kjhkhk in your command-line, where "kjhkhk" is
> a folder that doesn't exist.

That doesn't seem to work anymore. WTF, seriously.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Foxhack]
#379351 - 11/04/18 04:16 AM

Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of the view you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#379352 - 11/04/18 04:39 AM

> Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of the view
> you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.

... The fact you have to do it like this is absolutely MINDBOGGLING. WHY IS THIS NOT AN OPTION IN THE ER, OPTIONS. ARGH.

(Thanks.)

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#379552 - 11/14/18 07:41 AM

The easiest way I've found to remove the embedded artwork from snapshots is to take them out of the layouts folder from the source, compile, & then stick them back in to the artwork folder when done.

Another way, which is much more labor intensive, is to edit the artwork you want to embed in MAME itself. You have to make the 1st view(order does matter, MAME takes the 1st view as default I assume) something like:

{view name="Normal - No Shifter"}
{screen index="0"}
{bounds x="0" y="0" width="640" height="480" /}
{/screen}
{/view}

MAME will then display that view at start & for whatever screenshots you take afterwards. If you select a shifter or buttons or whatever, they will show on-screen but not in any the snaps. Basically making it do the opposite of what it is now doing for the artwork.

That should work until it gets fixed(?) & works like you would think it should. I just keep checking to see if I have to keep doing it with every release when I do my snaps...

Hope that helps...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#379553 - 11/14/18 08:26 AM

> That should work until it gets fixed(?) & works like you would think it should. I
> just keep checking to see if I have to keep doing it with every release when I do my
> snaps...
>
> Hope that helps...

Uhhhhh, did you just totally miss Vas's post or something? Here it is again:

> Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of the view you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#379563 - 11/14/18 05:53 PM

> > Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of the
> view
> > you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.
>
> ... The fact you have to do it like this is absolutely MINDBOGGLING. WHY IS THIS NOT
> AN OPTION IN THE ER, OPTIONS. ARGH.

It *is* in the Video Options menu also, like Vas said.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#379567 - 11/14/18 08:38 PM

> > > Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of the
> > view
> > > you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.
> >
> > ... The fact you have to do it like this is absolutely MINDBOGGLING. WHY IS THIS
> NOT
> > AN OPTION IN THE ER, OPTIONS. ARGH.
>
> It *is* in the Video Options menu also, like Vas said.

I changed the video options, the shift still showed up in screenshots. Why is that? I can hide it from display but not screenshots without using the command line option. It makes no sense.

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

#379581 - 11/15/18 10:50 AM

> > > > Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of
> the
> > > view
> > > > you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options menu.
> > >
> > > ... The fact you have to do it like this is absolutely MINDBOGGLING. WHY IS THIS
> > NOT
> > > AN OPTION IN THE ER, OPTIONS. ARGH.
> >
> > It *is* in the Video Options menu also, like Vas said.
>
> I changed the video options, the shift still showed up in screenshots. Why is that? I
> can hide it from display but not screenshots without using the command line option.
> It makes no sense.

mame -snapview "Screen 0" polepos

this gives me clean screenshots when pressing F12 or clean videos if using aviwrite options

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: asasega]
#379585 - 11/15/18 07:57 PM

> > > > > Use the -snapview option on command line or ini file and give it the name of
> > the
> > > > view
> > > > > you want to use. It accepts view names that you see in the video options
> menu.
> > > >
> > > > ... The fact you have to do it like this is absolutely MINDBOGGLING. WHY IS
> THIS
> > > NOT
> > > > AN OPTION IN THE ER, OPTIONS. ARGH.
> > >
> > > It *is* in the Video Options menu also, like Vas said.
> >
> > I changed the video options, the shift still showed up in screenshots. Why is that?
> I
> > can hide it from display but not screenshots without using the command line option.
> > It makes no sense.
>
> mame -snapview "Screen 0" polepos
>
> this gives me clean screenshots when pressing F12 or clean videos if using aviwrite
> options

... that isn't the point.

My point is, why does disabling the shift display inside mame not disable it in screenshots without having to use this command line option?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#379599 - 11/16/18 03:04 PM

> ... that isn't the point.
>
> My point is, why does disabling the shift display inside mame not disable it in
> screenshots without having to use this command line option?

Because tying the snapshots view to the currently selected view for the window would be an absolute nightmare during development/debugging, and it would collapse in a heap the moment you run with multiple windows/screens as render targets so there isn't a single selected view, there's one per render target. It would be theoretically possible to allow the user to select the snapshot view with a menu, but there are complications like what happens if you try to change it while AVI/MNG recording is in progress.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: How do you disable shifter display in screenshots (racing games)? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#379611 - 11/16/18 11:46 PM

> > ... that isn't the point.
> >
> > My point is, why does disabling the shift display inside mame not disable it in
> > screenshots without having to use this command line option?
>
> Because tying the snapshots view to the currently selected view for the window would
> be an absolute nightmare during development/debugging, and it would collapse in a
> heap the moment you run with multiple windows/screens as render targets so there
> isn't a single selected view, there's one per render target. It would be
> theoretically possible to allow the user to select the snapshot view with a menu, but
> there are complications like what happens if you try to change it while AVI/MNG
> recording is in progress.

That's a very good explanation. Since I'm just a typical user, I had no idea it was this complicated. Thank you.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 597