MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

Sonic & Knuckles
#379177 - 10/28/18 03:06 PM

Hi,

I don't understand how are you supposed to play this game via mame (mess).

I did read this 5 years old post:
https://mamedev.emulab.it/etabeta/2013/02/03/lock-on/

I always get the No Way ! screen when booting the game.

I want to play the standard game… not the *with sonic 3 inserted* version.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Sonic & Knuckles new [Re: kevenz]
#379205 - 10/31/18 03:27 PM

> Hi,
>
> I don't understand how are you supposed to play this game via mame (mess).
>
> I did read this 5 years old post:
> https://mamedev.emulab.it/etabeta/2013/02/03/lock-on/
>
> I always get the No Way ! screen when booting the game.
>
> I want to play the standard game… not the *with sonic 3 inserted* version.

sounds like you might have an ini file or something which is forcing something into the slot (I've seen various reports of this with MAMEUI, remembering inappropriate cartridge options across systems)

mame64 genesis sk

will literally run the game with nothing attached, just as Sonic & Knuckles

mame64 genesis sk -cart2 sonic3u

is what you need to attach Sonic 3

you can try forcing cart2 to be uninserted with

mame64 genesis sk -cart2 ""

which will probably help if you do have an ini file somewhere trying to force it

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Sonic & Knuckles new [Re: Haze]
#379206 - 10/31/18 04:37 PM

Haze
Send PM

Re: Sonic & Knuckles new [Re: Robbbert]
#379207 - 10/31/18 05:16 PM

> > sounds like you might have an ini file or something which is forcing something into
> > the slot (I've seen various reports of this with MAMEUI, remembering inappropriate
> > cartridge options across systems)
>
> No you haven't.
>
> It may remember old cart settings in the same system, but not across systems. It
> always had protection against that core bug.

well that's funny, because I distinctly remember reports of MAMEUI specifically bombing out because invalid options had been remembered / saved to ini files. (something to do with a writeconfig option?) although no, it hasn't been mentioned recently.

this isn't an 'across systems' bug anyway, this seems like "-cart2" has a remembered value for the same system.

still waiting for an answer on
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
btw, since that's a very serious issue you know, and if it's unexplained that's worrying.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#379208 - 10/31/18 06:04 PM

kevenz
Send PM

#379224 - 10/31/18 09:59 PM

I'm using Dos or command prompt to see if it works but it does the same thing... always the No Way screen.

mame64 genesis -cart "Sonic and Knuckles.zip"

Haze
Send PM

#379225 - 10/31/18 10:12 PM

> I'm using Dos or command prompt to see if it works but it does the same thing...
> always the No Way screen.
>
> mame64 genesis -cart "Sonic and Knuckles.zip"

first of all, stop using the 'loose file' support and start using software list support, or a lot of things won't work properly as MAME doesn't know how to map them properly otherwise. (it doesn't rely on hacks to guess as much as other emulators) I'm not even sure it understands the concept of a lock-on cart unless you use the software list support. Assuming you have the correct version of Sonic & Knuckles it should be renamed 'sk.zip' and be launched with the syntax in my original post.

second, once using the software list support, follow the instructions in my original post very carefully.

I'm really starting to think MAME should put the 'loose loading' for systems with Software Lists behind a debug option, too many people are making this mistake.

kevenz
Send PM

#379227 - 10/31/18 10:50 PM

Thanks for your help, I will give a try.

I always used the cart and cdrom function... but the software list seems like a more official method.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Sonic & Knuckles new [Re: Robbbert]
#379267 - 11/02/18 01:55 PM

> > this isn't an 'across systems' bug anyway, this seems like "-cart2" has a
> remembered
> > value for the same system.
> >
> Yes, that's quite possible, depending on how the user configures things. It can be
> done that way in standard MAME too.
>
>
> > still waiting for an answer on
> >
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
> > btw, since that's a very serious issue you know, and if it's unexplained that's
> > worrying.
>
> Please try the latest version (0.203) and let me know if this reported bug still
> exists.

So apparently it works on the latest.

What was changed?

kevenz
Send PM

#379322 - 11/03/18 02:17 PM

I tested and yes it works properly using the software list method but not with the -cart method… which doesn't make sence I guess.

The problem with the software list method is it can't be used with most front-end and games launcher like Kodi or Attract Mode.

Haze
Send PM

#379325 - 11/03/18 02:28 PM

> I tested and yes it works properly using the software list method but not with the
> -cart method… which doesn't make sence I guess.
>
> The problem with the software list method is it can't be used with most front-end and
> games launcher like Kodi or Attract Mode.

mame64 genesis -cart1 sk -cart2 ""

is the software list method

It only stops being software list once you specify "sk.zip" "sonicknuckles.zip" or similar, which becomes 'loose file loading' and is not recommended at all.

It makes perfect sense, the Software List tells MAME how to load things, what was inside the cartridges, what extra connectors the cartridges had etc. MAME doesn't resort to guessing all these things (only some limited guessing of backup RAM) so without the Software List *it doesn't even know this is a special cartridge that requires special handling, not just mirroring the ROM across space*

The problem is with the frontends you talk about, not MAME, if the frontends only work with loose file loading then a LOT of things won't work. Kodi is very much not designed for use with MAME, so no surprises there.

As I said, I think MAME should disable this loading option for cartridge based systems with Software Lists, unless you explicitly turn it on, which should trigger a warning, because so many people seem to be doing things the wrong way.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#379328 - 11/03/18 03:55 PM

> I tested and yes it works properly using the software list method but not with the
> -cart method… which doesn't make sence I guess.
>
> The problem with the software list method is it can't be used with most front-end and
> games launcher like Kodi or Attract Mode.

I don't have MAME at hand but, did you tried for example:

Code:

mame -cart1 sk -cart2 sonic2u

Another ugly but functional alternative would be to grab the GoodGen combined ROMs. I think they go by "Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic/Sonic 2/Sonic 3". If the [!] ROMs don't work for you, you could try the [f] ones.

kevenz
Send PM

#379365 - 11/04/18 06:28 PM

The loose method can be useful for rom translation… exemple Dragon Quest 3 for Super Nintendo translated in English.

I will try the -cart1 -cart2 method later today… hope for the best

Thanks again for your help.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 808