MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

GameEx Evolution 1.00
#378628 - 09/18/18 04:48 PM

The next generation of front ends.

Latest version.

Full install.

Note: The product is currently in Beta and there may still be a few bugs.

https://www.gameex.com/evolution/

https://www.gameex.info/forums/files/file/2245-gameex-evolution/

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: B2K24]
#378645 - 09/20/18 01:41 PM

> The next generation of front ends.
>
> Latest version.
>
> Full install.
>
> Note: The product is currently in Beta and there may still be a few bugs.
>
> https://www.gameex.com/evolution/
>
> https://www.gameex.info/forums/files/file/2245-gameex-evolution/

If it was free I would give it a try. QMC2 is free and good so I will use that instead.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: B2K24]
#378647 - 09/20/18 04:23 PM

I would say that "frontend", doesnt really justify this superb product. It is way, way more than that. QMC2 plays in a whole different "lower" league .

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: uman]
#378811 - 10/05/18 03:39 PM

> I would say that "frontend", doesnt really justify this superb product. It is way,
> way more than that. QMC2 plays in a whole different "lower" league .

Depends on your focus. In term of eye candy no doubt, but in term of exploitation of MAME's full potential, i have high doubts.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: remax]
#378813 - 10/05/18 04:04 PM

QMC2 can only handle MAME. GameEx can handle nearly any emulator and i will not start with the media center options like music, movies etc. or the eye candy stuff

QMC2 is a no-go, in a cab-environment and has no skin/theme options.

Edited by uman (10/05/18 04:07 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: remax]
#378817 - 10/05/18 07:31 PM

> Depends on your focus. In term of eye candy no doubt, but in term of exploitation of
> MAME's full potential, i have high doubts.

You may doubt all you want, but until you use Evo, you simply don't know.

Evo makes things like Arcade64 and hand editing XML files obsolete with it's game manager capabilities and advanced filtering system which the user will have complete control over.

Deleting games from the manager does not delete your ROMs, so you'll be able to customize what games show up in a specific list as well as sort them by controls as well.

https://imgur.com/a/RwYkzDI

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#378827 - 10/06/18 10:58 AM

> QMC2 can only handle MAME. GameEx can handle nearly any emulator and i will not start
> with the media center options like music, movies etc. or the eye candy stuff
>
> QMC2 is a no-go, in a cab-environment and has no skin/theme options.

You're both right. GameEx is an absolutely phenomenal frontend for use in a cabinet, or if you're interested in gaming. QMC2 is also a fantastic frontend if you're interested in fine-grained configurability of the emulated machine(s).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#378828 - 10/06/18 02:28 PM

> You're both right. GameEx is an absolutely phenomenal frontend for use in a cabinet,
> or if you're interested in gaming.

Well, if you're interested in *arcade* gaming. GameEx breaks down and explodes into useless mush if you want to use MAME anywhere near its full potential (can it even configure MVS multi-slot yet?) Or (ironically) on the iMac they show on their front page. He's using C#, so the lack of features is kind of disconcerting.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#378840 - 10/07/18 12:44 AM

> Well, if you're interested in *arcade* gaming.

I think you're mixing up vanilla GameEX with GameEX Evolution. They're two different beasts entirely.

Evo has a MAME Selection menu where any user can copy over software list profiles that they want to show up in their setup. Once that's done then all the user needs to do is tell Evo where their MAME folder and ROMs/CHDs are located then off they go. The games simply show up in the game listing and they work.

Evo actually handles pcecd better than QMC2 does. With Evo you don't need to TAB into File Manager, insert the correct cart, then use a soft reset. With Evo, you pick a game and it launches correctly.

For people that utilize Pleasuredome's one-stop shop especially for MAME ROMs or SL CHDs, it makes the most sense
to use Evo with MAME and you'll have games running with only the machines you want listed in your setup in a matter of minutes.

If someone favors RetroArch i'm fairly certain that the majority of cores don't support CHD so it's an absolute nightmare to have to manually unzip crap when dealing with many different optical systems. I'm unsure how people actually go about it. I'd rather just use MAME

Now of course Evo doesn't have the capability yet of using MAME to install exotic Operating systems or insert 20 different cards or slots into a machine, but perhaps someday Tom & Team can improve those aspects and slot them in their appropriate SL profiles.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#378870 - 10/08/18 03:48 PM

> QMC2 is a no-go, in a cab-environment and has no skin/theme options.

Are you sure? There's the skinnable qmc2-arcade component that works with a controller.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: GameEx Evolution 1.00 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#378904 - 10/09/18 02:51 AM

> You're both right. GameEx is an absolutely phenomenal frontend for use in a cabinet,
> or if you're interested in gaming. QMC2 is also a fantastic frontend if you're
> interested in fine-grained configurability of the emulated machine(s).

> Well, if you're interested in *arcade* gaming. GameEx breaks down and explodes into
> useless mush if you want to use MAME anywhere near its full potential (can it even
> configure MVS multi-slot yet?) Or (ironically) on the iMac they show on their front
> page. He's using C#, so the lack of features is kind of disconcerting.

Well, i dont know tbh. GameEx can everything what a commandline to MAME can and even more. *arcade* gaming? well, it can do the consoles pretty good too.
iMac? well, there is a version for macs. How well it works, i cant tell. Lack of features? I cant take you seriously at this point.

MAME anywhere near its full potential? Well, i didnt read much of something missing from MAME in the forums. My experience with for example C64 is, that there is many stuff, but it doesnt help or work properly and i mean those precious fine-grained configurability like Speed-Dos, Dolphin-Dos etc.

> Are you sure? There's the skinnable qmc2-arcade component that works with a
> controller.

Where? Does it work in a lowres CRT-environment? Is there a theme-editor, where i can decide where a button is, a snapshot is, how the text description looks like, have a animated background etc.? Can i decide which sound is played by a click or entering a new menu? And what if i want to control it with a lightgun? Do i have control over my hardware RGB LED-buttons? Can i decide which buttons blinks or not and in which color? BTW, thats a feature that i would say, uses the full potential of MAME.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 661 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1030