Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

I-PAC2 VE problem (or not?)
#378429 - 09/03/18 04:56 AM

I recently purchased an I-PAC2 VE to replace the stock encoder in a HotRod. I got it all wired up, but noticed two issues:

Launching WinIPAC v2, it doesn't seem to recognize the board. It shows "No board" and I can't do anything else with it.

Looking in Device Manager, I see a warning symbol on a USB Input Device and the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10) An unknown item was found in the report descriptor." in the details.

This is in Windows 10 64-bit, latest updates. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and re-plugging. I also tried removing all wiring and just connecting the bare PCB, and get the same error. PCB always shows a solid green LED.

Just for grins, I tried it in MAME and thought I was seeing errors, but now I'm not so sure. I had no buttons 5 and 6 for player 2, but per the FAQ I think this was a MAME config issue. I was also seeing no input from Player 1 Start until I released it, when it would act like a momentary switch. But I think this is the shift functionality, which defaults to Player 1 Start?

So maybe the board is working despite the driver error and lack of WinIPAC? Is WinIPAC expected to work with the VE board?

Edited by DMala (09/03/18 04:58 AM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: I-PAC2 VE problem (or not?) new [Re: DMala]
#378430 - 09/03/18 05:45 AM

You should be able to open notepad and press buttons and move your joysticks to see letters being typed to verify if it's working. The key mapping should be the same as this page...

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac2.html

I think the default programming is pretty reasonable and for most people, it works just fine out of the box.

That said, I don't think the WinIPAC utility works with the VE based on the comment on this page...

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipacve.html

Quote:

When a custom codeset is used, it is stored in RAM instead of EEPROM, meaning that storage needs refreshing after power-down (this does not apply if you always use the built-in default MAME code set of course, the settings revert to MAME on power-down)

The page also talks about "WinIPAC Interactive Panel Design software" so maybe that's how you load a custom configuration. However, based on the above comment, it sounds like it needs to be loaded every time your system boots since it isn't saved.

However, I'd make sure you have the latest version of WinIPAC just to be sure...
https://www.ultimarc.com/winipacv2.html

If all else fails, send an email to andy @ ultimarc.com as he's usually pretty quick to respond to product issues.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1893