MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: OG Halley's Comet
#377775 - 07/25/18 02:38 AM

Joe Magiera dumped a prototype of Halley's Comet. He also dumped an alt revision of Ikari Warriors but I don't have a pcb pic of it.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: Smitdogg]
#377776 - 07/25/18 03:41 AM

> Joe Magiera dumped a prototype of Halley's Comet. He also dumped an alt revision of
> Ikari Warriors but I don't have a pcb pic of it.

Halley's Comet is by far one of the weirdest designs Taito came up with

Actually I wonder if it really came from Taito, it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to every other piece of hardware they made.

I still wonder how Acho managed to figure half of that out, complex multi-layer blitter, hardware collisions, palette / transparency effects... in 1986. Emulation definitely isn't perfect, but it's a beast, I wonder if any of the video chips are actually CPUs themselves.

The driver is of course, also full of gross hacks, the way collisions are handled is especially scary.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: Haze]
#377777 - 07/25/18 03:46 AM

I think this proto might be dated 1985. That's why it's OG.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#377778 - 07/25/18 05:12 AM

> I still wonder how Acho managed to figure half of that out, complex multi-layer
> blitter, hardware collisions, palette / transparency effects... in 1986. Emulation
> definitely isn't perfect, but it's a beast, I wonder if any of the video chips are
> actually CPUs themselves.

If you mean the big, square pin grid array devices, they're Fujitsu mask-programmed gate array chips.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#377779 - 07/25/18 05:51 AM

What, this thing has THREE General Instrument AY-3-8910 sound chips?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: jonwil]
#377792 - 07/25/18 07:21 PM

> What, this thing has THREE General Instrument AY-3-8910 sound chips?

That's nothing special.

A single AY-3-8910 is probably one of the least interesting sound chips ever made at least in terms of what types of sounds you can get out of with it without using the latest demoscene tricks. I've seen it affectionately nicknamed "the doorbell"

It gets a little less bland when you have three (Bomb Jack) or even five (Gyruss) of them.

S

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: Sune]
#377794 - 07/25/18 08:57 PM

> > What, this thing has THREE General Instrument AY-3-8910 sound chips?
>
> That's nothing special.
>
> A single AY-3-8910 is probably one of the least interesting sound chips ever made at
> least in terms of what types of sounds you can get out of with it without using the
> latest demoscene tricks. I've seen it affectionately nicknamed "the doorbell"
>
> It gets a little less bland when you have three (Bomb Jack) or even five (Gyruss) of
> them.
>
> S

I think the majority of the 128kb ZX Spectrum library would like to have a word with you. There are some absolutely iconic pieces of music done with it.

It can produce some stunning music in the right hands, without 'demoscene tricks' (which have been used recently to do sample playback on it, yes, but such tricks aren't really practical for game music and aren't what the majority of them are using since many of them are played during gameplay, when you wouldn't have the cycles for that)

Just because outside of the European home market nobody seemed to have a clue what to do with it doesn't make it a poor chip. For arcades, sure, it's criminally underused considering how many boards have one, but that's just how it went.

Personally I like it a lot more than the C64 SID stuff.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: jonwil]
#377803 - 07/26/18 06:15 AM

> What, this thing has THREE General Instrument AY-3-8910 sound chips?

Four actually

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#377805 - 07/26/18 07:17 AM

> It can produce some stunning music in the right hands, without 'demoscene tricks'
> (which have been used recently to do sample playback on it, yes, but such tricks
> aren't really practical for game music and aren't what the majority of them are using
> since many of them are played during gameplay, when you wouldn't have the cycles for
> that)

Demoscene tricks maybe, recently no, not practical are you joking? It's the sound chip of the Atari ST...

Arcade-wise the tricks usually aren't needed because a non-dma DAC costs nothing, the crudest version being some ttl for address decode, a latch, some resistors for digital-analog conversion and a lowpass filter (e.g. one resistor and one capacitor) to clean up the worst crap. Not sure why the computers didn't have some as a matter of course. It was so easy that the ST had *two* cartridges (ST replay, MV16) that did just that.

OG.

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: OG Halley's Comet new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#377811 - 07/26/18 03:46 PM

> > It can produce some stunning music in the right hands, without 'demoscene tricks'
> > (which have been used recently to do sample playback on it, yes, but such tricks
> > aren't really practical for game music and aren't what the majority of them are
> using
> > since many of them are played during gameplay, when you wouldn't have the cycles
> for
> > that)
>
> Demoscene tricks maybe, recently no, not practical are you joking? It's the sound
> chip of the Atari ST...
>
> Arcade-wise the tricks usually aren't needed because a non-dma DAC costs nothing, the
> crudest version being some ttl for address decode, a latch, some resistors for
> digital-analog conversion and a lowpass filter (e.g. one resistor and one capacitor)
> to clean up the worst crap. Not sure why the computers didn't have some as a matter
> of course. It was so easy that the ST had *two* cartridges (ST replay, MV16) that did
> just that.
>
> OG.

Well I was mostly meaning you're not going to get a ZX Spectrum doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BbBwwdueM0
during gameplay, presumably that's all your actual CPU cycles and most of the memory eaten up just on the music.

You did get various little speech clips tho, yeah.

I don't think any of the actual ingame music is anything you'd class as demoscene tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8CMScjD82o
is still one of my favourites for actual game music (It's a Rob Hubbard track)

Then you've got the Spectrum LED Storm, a Tim Folin one, which I much prefer over the arcade soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b9XjxK2RJc

and a huge number of Codemasters games too (most of the Dizzy series for example)

I'm less familiar with it's use on the Atari ST tho

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#377816 - 07/27/18 02:36 AM

> I'm less familiar with it's use on the Atari ST tho

Try the original ST versions of the Switchblade in-game music (by Ben Daglish) or Speedball title theme (by David Whittaker).

Haze
Send PM

#377951 - 08/02/18 01:40 PM

> Joe Magiera dumped a prototype of Halley's Comet. He also dumped an alt revision of
> Ikari Warriors but I don't have a pcb pic of it.

there are definitely some differences in this Halley's Comet

I've only tested with the cheats dipswitches on (hold start 1 on boot for them to function) but in the proto verison you can't seem to die from 'damage 100%' like in all the other versions, also the dip after the data logger one causes the game to hang when you start it.

this makes the invulnerability dipswitch more useful as you can play the game forever with it turned on.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 905