MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10?
#377635 - 07/16/18 02:33 PM

Disabling the service doesn't work. Which means for one thing you have no real control over windows 10 if your changes to services.msc don't stick. Can this even be done?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#377645 - 07/16/18 09:25 PM

> Disabling the service doesn't work. Which means for one thing you have no real
> control over windows 10 if your changes to services.msc don't stick. Can this even be
> done?

You can defer updates for weeks or months on Windows 10 Pro, but you can't completely disable it. You can't disable or defer updates on Windows 10 Home.

You can stop it from automatically downloading them by telling it you have a metered Internet connection (easy to do for WiFi, but hard to do for Ethernet, requiring registry hacking).

With Windows 10 Enterprise on an Active Directory domain, you can control exactly which updates (if any) will be applied. Of course, this is expensive and time-consuming.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#377646 - 07/16/18 09:30 PM

> You can stop it from automatically downloading them by telling it you have a metered
> Internet connection (easy to do for WiFi, but hard to do for Ethernet, requiring
> registry hacking).
>

and even then sometimes it will still decided that some updates are 'important' enough to download over a metered connection (unless they've changed it yet again)

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Haze]
#377650 - 07/17/18 02:20 AM

They miss the boat that if the PC is performing the job it is meant to perform, no update EVER is neccessary. I have this issue with a PC that displays a 24/7 live graph at work. Alla godamn time popups for updates inturrupt this simple function, pissing off everyone who depend on that graph until the adminshows up to close the damn popup so the graph can be seen again.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: GatKong]
#377691 - 07/20/18 12:51 PM

> They miss the boat that if the PC is performing the job it is meant to perform, no
> update EVER is neccessary.

The endless updates are to keep the Ten Tee population safe so that they don't get viruses from their endless desire to click on absolutely everything on the internet.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#378216 - 08/20/18 02:52 AM

Is that to say that with all the collective expertise and genius on this site, nobody can write an emulator that fools Windows into thinking it's up to date? Better yet, a hack of Windows itself that gives you control over this? I'm surprised. Anyone who could do this would not only easily be able to sell it but would be a hero to most of the world.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Haze
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Nightvoice]
#378218 - 08/20/18 03:05 AM

> Is that to say that with all the collective expertise and genius on this site, nobody
> can write an emulator that fools Windows into thinking it's up to date? Better yet, a
> hack of Windows itself that gives you control over this? I'm surprised. Anyone who
> could do this would not only easily be able to sell it but would be a hero to most of
> the world.

Well problem #1 is that most people with the ability to do something like that know that blocking updates is a really stupid thing to do, and giving people a program that can block updates forever would be just as irresponsible and damaging as unleashing some new piece of ransomware to the world, as it would directly contribute to the ability of whoever does to spread such things by leaving machines unpatched and vulnerable.

So as annoying as the forced updates are, the person who got rid of them completely would only be a hero to idiots.

Critical bug fixes etc. absolutely should be mandatory, the problem is the rather underhanded way Windows handles them, and the way updates often seem to end up doing other unwanted things like changing program defaults and sneaking in other 'features'. The reason that is being done however BECAUSE people kept stopping Windows from updating (then wondering why their machines ended up as part of a botnet) so unfortunately the only solution was to treat the users as being stupid because they had repeatedly proven that they were.

While I've had to deal with plenty of cases where people have ended up with broken Windows installations due to the updates, the number of cases where I've had to deal with people having PCs that are a danger to everybody that uses them and everything they connect to has hit 0 for Windows 10.

It's an education problem as much as anything, and a worrying one, because yes, it's one of those steps down the road of machines we have no control over which is why the ignorance of the general population when it comes to computer security is deeply concerning, as it's likely just going to continue pushing things in that direction.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378219 - 08/20/18 03:21 AM

I think it's a far GREATER danger to have an outside party making changes to your computer and installing software on it without your knowledge or consent, especially given Microsoft's history. If I were in a country outside the U.S., I'd definitely never purchase any American-made machine with such a feature or from any company that takes such liberties. I shan't go into a lengthy argument about this because time will vindicate me just as it has with Facebook.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Haze
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: Nightvoice]
#378220 - 08/20/18 04:00 AM

> I think it's a far GREATER danger to have an outside party making changes to your
> computer and installing software on it without your knowledge or consent, especially
> given Microsoft's history. If I were in a country outside the U.S., I'd definitely
> never purchase any American-made machine with such a feature or from any company that
> takes such liberties. I shan't go into a lengthy argument about this because time
> will vindicate me just as it has with Facebook.

Well if you run Windows your options are either hand that choice to Microsoft, or hand it to some random group of hackers who will exploit your machine because you left it full of security holes.

Not running Microsoft at all is a valid choice, but leaving your machine full of security holes that are documented in the wild and open to all because you didn't patch is NEVER a valid choice; that is how bad things have happened, and continue to happen. The majority of recent high profile outbreaks have been with bugs that were already long patched, but the patches not applied.

This isn't really a difficult decision, and if it concerns you that much then you shouldn't be running Windows at all.

The only reasons I can see to have software out there completely blocking Windows updates are nefarious; to leave exploitable systems out there, and 'prove' that Windows has bad security, although the reality is any system, be it Windows or Linux based, left unpatched is highly irresponsible.

I'm surprised there haven't been more issues along these lines with modern smartphones too, such is the poor after-market support from manufacturers; there are billions of vulnerable devices out there where patches simply weren't offered, all network connected too. It's a timebomb for sure, especially if they get used as a way onto other networks which given their nature is highly possible.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#378222 - 08/20/18 05:18 AM

People smart enough to do that just get Windows Server and configure a local update server with policy to only apply the updates they want. No need to hack anything.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#378223 - 08/20/18 05:38 AM

I'm not disputing anything you're saying about the importance of patches and updates, only the importance of being able to control WHEN they happen and WHAT to apply. But you've already indicated that makes me--and anyone else *cough cough* who inquires about how to do such a thing--an 'idiot'. So there's not much to discuss beyond that.

----------------------

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#378225 - 08/20/18 05:53 AM

It's an education problem on your behalf. My computer can't handle the latest update and goes in a continuous loop of taking an hour to install the update, then being unable to boot up, then uninstalling it, then restarting, then the next night repeating that. Any sane person would rather take their risk with an antivirus and firewall protecting them and crossing fingers in like a year to see if Microsoft fixed the bugs.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#378228 - 08/20/18 10:11 AM

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

there are about 2-3 switches to turn it off...

Haze
Send PM

#378231 - 08/20/18 12:08 PM

> I'm not disputing anything you're saying about the importance of patches and updates,
> only the importance of being able to control WHEN they happen and WHAT to apply. But
> you've already indicated that makes me--and anyone else *cough cough* who inquires
> about how to do such a thing--an 'idiot'. So there's not much to discuss beyond that.

Yes, and I'm going to stick to that opinion based on the evidence presented to me, sorry, but the ability to permanently defer updates by people, and people spreading bad advice that it should be done has been one of the major reasons we've ended up with massive botnets and the like.

Windows 10 has made my life in dealing with people a LOT easier.

As I already said, I dislike the lack of control, but it is, in this case, 100% necessary.

I have had issues with people running pirated versions of Enterprise, who incidentally did turn updates off because they thought they knew better, but since they're running pirated versions of Enterprise in the first place, it could just be that the versions they're running were unclean from the start, so I don't count those, although maybe I should.

Haze
Send PM

#378232 - 08/20/18 12:11 PM

> It's an education problem on your behalf. My computer can't handle the latest update
> and goes in a continuous loop of taking an hour to install the update, then being
> unable to boot up, then uninstalling it, then restarting, then the next night
> repeating that. Any sane person would rather take their risk with an antivirus and
> firewall protecting them and crossing fingers in like a year to see if Microsoft
> fixed the bugs.

And you'll end up being hacked, even if you don't know it.

It's likely a conflict / configuration error with something you have installed. It's also possible that your machine is *already* infected with some rootkit like thing which is actively preventing Windows from updating properly, that used to happen a fair bit on XP / 7 at least.

I've already said I've seen machines broken due to Windows 10 updates failing, but that's still a lot less of a problem than people ending up with their machines as part of botnets.

It's still an education issue, because the correct thing to do, to ensure the safety of everybody else in such a case is to do a fresh installation. The incorrect / selfish thing to do is keep running the machine and potentially put others at risk when your machine gets infected.

If your car develops a critical safety problem you don't keep driving it, because you'd be putting others in danger by doing so, computers are no different. Not being able to apply updates is a critical problem.

If I was in charge of the policies for this at Microsoft I'd probably do things in a slightly different way, choose when the updates are installed, but tear down ALL network connections apart from those needed to deliver updates if you defer them for more than a week. Equivalent of "keep your car parked on your drive until it's safe"

It just seems like no lessons have been learned from the last 15 years. Even with everybody saying 'keep Flash up to date' or even 'Don't install Flash' everybody kept ignoring that warning too because it allowed them to play some games and clicking 'update' was too much hassle, thus also happily letting every dodgy streaming site under the sun infect their machine and provide further exploitable holes in their system.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#378236 - 08/20/18 06:12 PM

You are right, I am selfish. So selfish that I need my own money, so I work what's called "a job" full time and during my off-time I have better things to do than sit there making love to Microsoft settings over and over. If me turning updates off for a month gets your goat you should probably tour a few businesses. Every company I've ever worked at turned off automatic updates.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: How do you disable automatic windows updates in windows 10? new [Re: GatKong]
#378280 - 08/24/18 12:05 PM

> They miss the boat that if the PC is performing the job it is meant to perform, no
> update EVER is neccessary. I have this issue with a PC that displays a 24/7 live
> graph at work. Alla godamn time popups for updates inturrupt this simple function,
> pissing off everyone who depend on that graph until the adminshows up to close the
> damn popup so the graph can be seen again.

Some possible options:

(1). Disable automatic updates and have someone disciplined check the machine 1-2 times per month and download / install updates.

(2). Grab a Raspberry Pi or 2. I've got 4 Raspberry Pis at work displaying dashboards, graphs and stats all round me from databases and data sources on local and remote private servers, and from Azure and other cloud sources. Cost peanuts to setup, and great fun to code.

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 758