View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JohnnyGalaga
Now That's Galactic Dancin'
Reged: 07/21/07
Send PM

Arcade Joystick Purchase
#377515 - 07/08/18 01:47 AM

What are the best options for an arcade joystick? I have an old X-Arcade from like 15 years ago. It's the PS/2 version and it's buggy. The current X-Arcade is USB, but I don't know if it's also buggy. Are there any other options?

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Arcade Joystick Purchase new [Re: JohnnyGalaga]
#377522 - 07/08/18 07:15 AM

Still using a USB X-Arcade Tankstick w/trackball after several years and it's never failed me. Just wish it had an actual spinner knob. Definitely beats replacing plastic gamepads every month.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#377529 - 07/08/18 06:40 PM

You have a solid case. You could always install a new encoder like an iPac and upgrade your buttons/sticks if you don't like them.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#377530 - 07/08/18 08:02 PM

There's an X-Arcade USB upgrade board...

https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-usb-adapter

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

animetrela
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/18
Send PM

#378127 - 08/12/18 09:43 PM

It depends on what software is supported by this joystick because on newer systems something will always not work completely. man

Edited by animetrela (10/04/18 07:14 PM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#378188 - 08/17/18 05:02 AM

> What are the best options for an arcade joystick? I have an old X-Arcade from like 15
> years ago. It's the PS/2 version and it's buggy. The current X-Arcade is USB, but I
> don't know if it's also buggy. Are there any other options?

It's possible that the "buggy" part is in the PS2 part of your modern motherboard, or if you're using some sort of PS2 to USB converter.. so +1 for swapping the encoder for a modern one.

I have never been near an X-Arcade but I'm guessing it's a half screws and half soldering job? You can open it up and take a look, or look at the USB upgrade board (re: Krick's post) to get an idea of what you're getting in to.

If you haven't done it before, soldering wires onto button and joystick terminals is a great opportunity to learn how to solder, you don't need the precision of a heart surgeon and you can do it with any old soldering iron. I can say from experience that it's a forgiving job.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 931