View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Return to Japan after the show
#377500 - 07/07/18 03:55 PM

system11 and Coolfox dumped a prototype version of LED Storm

Jorge Silva, Atro & Kravex sent us Raiden DX (Portugal)

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: Smitdogg]
#377508 - 07/07/18 10:40 PM

When you're done, be sure to put that board in a box and send it To: Japan.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: mike20599]
#377509 - 07/07/18 10:42 PM

Just toss it on the beach. No big deal.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: Smitdogg]
#377511 - 07/08/18 12:56 AM

> system11 and Coolfox dumped a prototype version of LED Storm
>
>
> Jorge Silva, Atro & Kravex sent us Raiden DX (Portugal)
>
>

fwiw, prototype is one of the most interesting we've seen in many years

it's an early version of the LED Storm Rally 2011 game (not the later released Mad Gear) but with several major differences

first, there's no jump button, you have a 'front wheels up, speed boost' button, and to jump you must use that then ram the side of the track which acts as a ram

second there's a fire button, so the many way to take out enemies isn't to jump on them, but to blast them, both the car and bike (still switchable) have different projectiles

other than that there are a lot of presentation differences. it's clearly quite an early version as many enemies aren't in place yet either.

the extra rom by the z80 is a leftover program rom (1 of the 4 68k roms) from yet another revision, presumably stolen from another PCB. Obviously kinda useless without the other 3 roms.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: Haze]
#377513 - 07/08/18 01:38 AM

> > system11 and Coolfox dumped a prototype version of LED Storm
> >
> >
> > Jorge Silva, Atro & Kravex sent us Raiden DX (Portugal)
> >
> >
>
> fwiw, prototype is one of the most interesting we've seen in many years
>
> it's an early version of the LED Storm Rally 2011 game (not the later released Mad
> Gear) but with several major differences
>
> first, there's no jump button, you have a 'front wheels up, speed boost' button, and
> to jump you must use that then ram the side of the track which acts as a ram
>
> second there's a fire button, so the many way to take out enemies isn't to jump on
> them, but to blast them, both the car and bike (still switchable) have different
> projectiles
>
> other than that there are a lot of presentation differences. it's clearly quite an
> early version as many enemies aren't in place yet either.
>
> the extra rom by the z80 is a leftover program rom (1 of the 4 68k roms) from yet
> another revision, presumably stolen from another PCB. Obviously kinda useless without
> the other 3 roms.

This looks interesting for me, more information about this game?

Maybe has placeholders and other difference with the sound, bgm and graphics

system11
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/04/13
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#377514 - 07/08/18 01:41 AM

I'd hoped to do a writeup this weekend with more photos etc but Fedex have decided to lose the package at the moment, it's tracking in 2 locations at once.

Fucking great. It took a lot of work getting hold of this one, lucky I had it sent to Coolfox first, hopefully Fedex will sort their shit out though, it meant a lot to me - a favourite game.

Edited by system11 (07/08/18 01:41 AM)

system11
MAME Fan
Send PM

#377516 - 07/08/18 02:05 AM

Hm - have you tried dropping that one in instead of the actual rom 04? I was surprised to see this with the disclaimer it has, is the region message stored in there or is it one of an interleaved set?

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU: Return to Japan after the show new [Re: system11]
#377517 - 07/08/18 02:16 AM

> Hm - have you tried dropping that one in instead of the actual rom 04? I was
> surprised to see this with the disclaimer it has, is the region message stored in
> there or is it one of an interleaved set?

It doesn't interleave with the other roms, all the offsets are different, it's from an entirely different revision, not quite sure why somebody would steal the program rom from another revision, but there you go. It's got less data / code than the complete revision, so is likely an even earlier build. The dumped one shows '12' on the title screen, which probably means it's the 12th prototype build? Obviously can't tell what the incomplete one is because it's rather meaningless without the other half of the pair.

US copyright is kinda interesting, but considering the majority of sets of this game show a 'Capcom USA' copyright it makes me wonder if they were involved in development somehow, alternatively, might just be because it was for a US show, a lot of the Taito dev builds and protos we've found over the years have been World / US versions too, even if development happened in Japan. The US string is hardcoded and the only one present in the rom.

Haze
Send PM

#377518 - 07/08/18 02:17 AM

> I'd hoped to do a writeup this weekend with more photos etc but Fedex have decided to
> lose the package at the moment, it's tracking in 2 locations at once.
>
> Fucking great. It took a lot of work getting hold of this one, lucky I had it sent to
> Coolfox first, hopefully Fedex will sort their shit out though, it meant a lot to me
> - a favourite game.

yeah, not ideal, should be easy enough to convert a board if you do want to run this revision tho, there don't seem to be any meaningful hardware changes

system11
MAME Fan
Send PM

#377546 - 07/09/18 11:44 PM

Updated blog post, comparison videos & photos, tried to detail all the changes between versions that I could notice.

http://blog.system11.org/?p=1306

Haze
Send PM

#377559 - 07/10/18 01:36 PM

> Updated blog post, comparison videos & photos, tried to detail all the changes
> between versions that I could notice.
>
> http://blog.system11.org/?p=1306

Personally I'm inclined to believe Rally 2011 was released, the flyers are for it, it has mask roms like you say, and 2 versions have shown up with the same code revision (US and World)

Mad Gear is more like a sequel in the sense that SF2 CE is a sequel to SF2, given the Japanese subtitle on the Mad Gear text I wonder if that title wasn't originally meant for Japan only, but then shoved on export versions too when it didn't sell, or if it was causing confusion with the older game (hence having both Mad Gear and LED Storm with US copyrights) Either way, with so much redrawn and the game changed almost completely I don't consider it a mere revision, it's a new game. Given that 1988 is when CPS1 was introduced I have a feeling Capcom had an excess number of LED Storm 2011 boards lying around and wanted to shift them.

Also nitpicking a little regarding the continue screen stuff you talk about. The prototype does not appear to have a continue screen (or it's on a different dip, but I couldn't find it) so the 'shot' button thing probably isn't a leftover.

Also 'shot' button is used in games as a generic term for 'action' button, as opposed to the start button, and unsurprisingly all buttons (1/2/3) cancel the continue countdown, so I don't think it's a leftover, just a poor choice of terminology. Open up even a CPS2 game like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and all the non-start buttons in service mode are called 'Shot' it's a standard Capcom thing.

system11
MAME Fan
Send PM

#377562 - 07/10/18 05:45 PM

Thing is, while the art exists we've only found two examples one of each region, with serial numbers 00006 and 00009.

Proto does have a continue screen, the DIPs are inverted in several cases - demo sound (music or fx) and continue game included, I recorded it in my comparison video it's basically identical with minor differences in timing for it to appear.

Haze
Send PM

#377568 - 07/11/18 01:02 AM

> Thing is, while the art exists we've only found two examples one of each region, with
> serial numbers 00006 and 00009.
>
> Proto does have a continue screen, the DIPs are inverted in several cases - demo
> sound (music or fx) and continue game included, I recorded it in my comparison video
> it's basically identical with minor differences in timing for it to appear.

ah, yeah, should probably have checked that instead of checking all the other dips

anyway, I think the thing about 'shot' being generic terminology for action buttons stands, I've seen it used before so didn't think much of it, clearly Capcom felt it was eventually work making more logical tho, less chance of accidentally doing the wrong thing.

I wonder if both LED Storm and Last Duel started off on paper as the same concept, there's the similar futuristic theme, and in Last Duel you have driving and flying (bike / plane) instead of the two different style of driving (bike / car) Same basic hardware too, and of course Last Duel had a heavier focus on shooting, which was only present in the earlier LED Storm build.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#377571 - 07/11/18 09:57 PM

> Personally I'm inclined to believe Rally 2011 was released, the flyers are for it, it
> has mask roms like you say, and 2 versions have shown up with the same code revision
> (US and World)

Also, the conversions for home computers seems to be based on that version:

EDIT: Oh, I see that it was mentioned already in system11's blog post...

Edited by ICEknight (07/11/18 10:21 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
3 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 976