MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

minireaper
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/11
Send PM

mame softlist atari 5200, moon patrol and me :)
#377218 - 06/27/18 10:31 AM

hi,

today i attempted to play around a bit with atari 5200 from the mame softlist. i was using mame 0.199 right after compiling it and later my mame 0.198 from last month. and an x-box 360 contoller.

quite some games work with the default input settings.
when it comes to moon patrol only the button for shooting works from the default settings. no matter what i try to map both buttons to only the one for shooting works. jump button is entirely ignored, which makes the game a short thrill as the first hole in the ground is end of play .

am i doing something wrong here ? i mean it does not work with defaults so iassume no.

or does mame have problems to emulate the inputs properly on certain a5200 games ?

i tried to start moon patrol either with qmc2 (latest available version), the mame internal frontend with a5200 bios and a5200 bios (alt) and even command line.

could anybody poke me into the right direction ?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: mame softlist atari 5200, moon patrol and me :) new [Re: minireaper]
#377222 - 06/27/18 10:49 AM

> hi,
>
> today i attempted to play around a bit with atari 5200 from the mame softlist. i was
> using mame 0.199 right after compiling it and later my mame 0.198 from last month.
> and an x-box 360 contoller.
>
> quite some games work with the default input settings.
> when it comes to moon patrol only the button for shooting works from the default
> settings. no matter what i try to map both buttons to only the one for shooting
> works. jump button is entirely ignored, which makes the game a short thrill as the
> first hole in the ground is end of play .
>
> am i doing something wrong here ? i mean it does not work with defaults so iassume
> no.
>
> or does mame have problems to emulate the inputs properly on certain a5200 games ?
>
> i tried to start moon patrol either with qmc2 (latest available version), the mame
> internal frontend with a5200 bios and a5200 bios (alt) and even command line.
>
> could anybody poke me into the right direction ?

In this case, Atari 5200 has many emulation shortcomings. At one time, it was quite a capable emulation but over time there have been regressions and code which has basically not kept up with the core changes bringing about a fair amount of issues. In your particular instance of that game, try the Atari 800 cart version which is in virtually all respects.. the same game. In my quick play, it seems much more solid an experience, even if you have to hold up to jump.

minireaper
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/11
Send PM

Re: mame softlist atari 5200, moon patrol and me :) new [Re: Tafoid]
#377229 - 06/27/18 03:11 PM

hi,

ah thanks for the clarification. so the problem is in mame
i will try other versions then and maybe one day atari 5200 will get a bit love again .

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 375 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 330