View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

my obsession with arcade ports.
#377163 - 06/25/18 04:07 AM Attachment: mk2_tsung.fatality.gif 200 KB (0 downloads)

i've talked about this before, but me dipping back into gif creation has re-sparked this obsession. for whatever reason, i'm comprehensively obsessed with the concept of trying to replicate arcade games on inferior hardware, including every technical detail and anecdotal story of the process. the 'console wars' is awesome also. there's some terrific stuff on youtube from developers that's just fascinating to hear.

at any rate, i was playing "mortal kombat" last night (arcade/snes/genesis/gamegear), and it's very clear to me now that the genesis version is better than the snes for one particular reason - gameplay. when i compare these games, i'm totally discounting the gore/censorship issue; it's honestly not comparative topic as far as i'm concerned.

throughout the 90's, most people were convinced that the snes version was better, including me; i still own it. if you see screenshots or hear audio from either game, it's so easy to think that the snes came the closest to replicating the arcade, but my fucking god... the gameplay is an abortion. i honestly can't think of another game with worse input lag. the worst part however is that jumping is badly calculated, and characters basically jump too far, which leads to an entire ecosystem of bad gameplay. the genesis version could be monochrome and sound like an atari 2600 title, and i would still prefer it to the snes.

i can't get the segaCD version to work on fusion. the fmv plays, then black screen.

[edit] "perfect sync" option in fusion fixed the cd issue. =)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by jopezu (06/25/18 05:03 AM)

i learned everything i know from KC

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

mk animation - arcade new [Re: jopezu]
#377164 - 06/25/18 04:09 AM Attachment: mk1_framecount_arcade_sonya.gif 40 KB (0 downloads)

idle loop, 7 frames, all unique

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

mk animation - snes new [Re: jopezu]
#377165 - 06/25/18 04:10 AM Attachment: mk1_framecount_snes_sonya.gif 36 KB (0 downloads)

idle loop, 6 frames, all unique

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

mk animation - genesis new [Re: jopezu]
#377166 - 06/25/18 04:10 AM Attachment: mk1_framecount_genesis_sonya.gif 10 KB (0 downloads)

idle loop, 4 frames, 3 unique

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: my obsession with arcade ports. new [Re: jopezu]
#377268 - 06/28/18 01:06 PM

> i've talked about this before, but me dipping back into gif creation has re-sparked
> this obsession. for whatever reason, i'm comprehensively obsessed with the concept of
> trying to replicate arcade games on inferior hardware, including every technical
> detail and anecdotal story of the process. the 'console wars' is awesome also.
> there's some terrific stuff on youtube from developers that's just fascinating to
> hear.
>
> at any rate, i was playing "mortal kombat" last night (arcade/snes/genesis/gamegear),
> and it's very clear to me now that the genesis version is better than the snes for
> one particular reason - gameplay. when i compare these games, i'm totally discounting
> the gore/censorship issue; it's honestly not comparative topic as far as i'm
> concerned.
>
> throughout the 90's, most people were convinced that the snes version was better,
> including me; i still own it. if you see screenshots or hear audio from either game,
> it's so easy to think that the snes came the closest to replicating the arcade, but
> my fucking god... the gameplay is an abortion. i honestly can't think of another game
> with worse input lag. the worst part however is that jumping is badly calculated, and
> characters basically jump too far, which leads to an entire ecosystem of bad
> gameplay. the genesis version could be monochrome and sound like an atari 2600 title,
> and i would still prefer it to the snes.
>
> i can't get the segaCD version to work on fusion. the fmv plays, then black screen.
>
> [edit] "perfect sync" option in fusion fixed the cd issue. =)

SF2 is the same, the Genesis version of Special Champion Edition kicks the shit out of the SNES version of SF2/Turbo. Could Capcom compress the audio samples any further on the SNES? Blanka's roar on the SNES is laughable, as is the soundfont with looped instrument samples that must be a few hundred bytes long at best (if not in the tens of bytes). Never mind the tiny sprites, despite both the SNES and CPS having the exact same vertical resolution - all they had to do was squash everything horizontally by a third and it would have looked perfect, but no, they had to make the fighters tiny as well!

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: my obsession with arcade ports. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#377273 - 06/28/18 03:29 PM

I preferred the button layout, music and some of the graphical differences of the Genesis version over the SNES version.

As per protocol, voices were hosed on the genesis. Ultimately, I wish they had been able to include some sort of booster chip on cart for audio and for additional color.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#377276 - 06/28/18 04:45 PM

To get Mortal Kombat to play with Kega Fusion enable Perfect Sync:

Options --> Perfect Sync

The game should now play fine

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

#377369 - 07/02/18 02:31 AM

> SF2 is the same, the Genesis version of Special Champion Edition kicks the shit out
> of the SNES version of SF2/Turbo. Could Capcom compress the audio samples any further
> on the SNES? Blanka's roar on the SNES is laughable, as is the soundfont with looped
> instrument samples that must be a few hundred bytes long at best (if not in the tens
> of bytes). Never mind the tiny sprites, despite both the SNES and CPS having the
> exact same vertical resolution - all they had to do was squash everything
> horizontally by a third and it would have looked perfect, but no, they had to make
> the fighters tiny as well!

i thought cps1 was 384x224, and snes 256x224. even if they were the same though, sprite capabilities are probably different. i’ll have to check the sf2 ports out next!

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

#377372 - 07/02/18 03:59 AM Attachment: sf2_snes.vs.genesis.png 83 KB (0 downloads)

=)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#377374 - 07/02/18 04:32 AM

> =)

there's that weird 'SF2 Turbo' prototype (or pirate / bootleg of the prototype at least) on the genny too ( sf2pir in MAME genesis softlist )

that's a strange build, like it was being developed by somebody else then scrapped. it reportedly has more frames of animation for some characters than the final game, but is more lacking in other areas.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: my obsession with arcade ports. new [Re: Haze]
#377376 - 07/02/18 06:16 AM Attachment: Capture.PNG 5 KB (0 downloads)

yep, it's noticeably smoother, but has STRANGE sound effects (undoubtedly placeholder).

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

See this video for some history on that... new [Re: Haze]
#377379 - 07/02/18 01:47 PM

https://youtu.be/KkaR8ZaObO0

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: my obsession with arcade ports. new [Re: DiodeDude]
#377405 - 07/03/18 04:11 PM

> As per protocol, voices were hosed on the genesis. Ultimately, I wish they had been
> able to include some sort of booster chip on cart for audio and for additional color.

supposedly, there's a 'audio-fixed' rom floating around that didn't change the rom size. just some minor tweaks that apparently got rid of the grainy audio.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Why was it so hard for devs to do voice on Megadrive? -nt new [Re: jopezu]
#377410 - 07/03/18 05:59 PM

Nt

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Why was it so hard for devs to do voice on Megadrive? -nt new [Re: DiodeDude]
#377456 - 07/05/18 03:24 PM

There was 1 7-bit DAC in the YM2612 and it had no DMA capability. That means you had to devote either the Z80 or the 68000 to feeding it samples at a precise rate. And the samples were uncompressed in the cartridge most of the time. So the upshot is that increasing the sample quality increased both CPU load and cartridge space requirements very quickly.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Why was it so hard for devs to do voice on Megadrive? -nt new [Re: R. Belmont]
#377459 - 07/05/18 03:42 PM

> There was 1 7-bit DAC in the YM2612 and it had no DMA capability. That means you had
> to devote either the Z80 or the 68000 to feeding it samples at a precise rate. And
> the samples were uncompressed in the cartridge most of the time. So the upshot is
> that increasing the sample quality increased both CPU load and cartridge space
> requirements very quickly.

especially if you wanted to try and get multiple channels out of it, which by the sounds of it is what Capcom were trying to do.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
2 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 803