MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Gameshow Host
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Name the game? (puzzle game similar to Bishi Bashi)
#377008 - 06/19/18 03:03 PM

First of all... wow it's been a long time since I was on this forum! I can't believe this forum is still using the old single-message format! (It seems quite archaic now.) I was a regular on the original MAME forum, before it was closed.

Anyway... I was just thinking about old arcade games I used to play on MAME 20 years ago, and one game popped into my head that I'd totally forgotten about, and can't remember the name.

It was a Japanese "minigame" style game, like the Bishi Bashi series. But it had more of a "puzzle" style than Bishi Bashi. Like, you had to quickly solve puzzles.

The only round I remember clearly was one where you had to assemble robots from various parts.

Whatever the game was called, I really used to love it

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Name the game? (puzzle game similar to Bishi Bashi) new [Re: Gameshow Host]
#377009 - 06/19/18 03:11 PM

> First of all... wow it's been a long time since I was on this forum! I can't believe
> this forum is still using the old single-message format! (It seems quite archaic
> now.) I was a regular on the original MAME forum, before it was closed.
>
> Anyway... I was just thinking about old arcade games I used to play on MAME 20 years
> ago, and one game popped into my head that I'd totally forgotten about, and can't
> remember the name.
>
> It was a Japanese "minigame" style game, like the Bishi Bashi series. But it had more
> of a "puzzle" style than Bishi Bashi. Like, you had to quickly solve puzzles.
>
> The only round I remember clearly was one where you had to assemble robots from
> various parts.
>
> Whatever the game was called, I really used to love it

Probably Sega's Tant-R, it's one of the first things I emulated in MAME.

Gameshow Host
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Name the game? (puzzle game similar to Bishi Bashi) new [Re: Haze]
#377011 - 06/19/18 06:57 PM

> > First of all... wow it's been a long time since I was on this forum! I can't
> believe
> > this forum is still using the old single-message format! (It seems quite archaic
> > now.) I was a regular on the original MAME forum, before it was closed.
> >
> > Anyway... I was just thinking about old arcade games I used to play on MAME 20
> years
> > ago, and one game popped into my head that I'd totally forgotten about, and can't
> > remember the name.
> >
> > It was a Japanese "minigame" style game, like the Bishi Bashi series. But it had
> more
> > of a "puzzle" style than Bishi Bashi. Like, you had to quickly solve puzzles.
> >
> > The only round I remember clearly was one where you had to assemble robots from
> > various parts.
> >
> > Whatever the game was called, I really used to love it
>
> Probably Sega's Tant-R, it's one of the first things I emulated in MAME.

YES!!!!!! That's it! I love that game!

No wonder I couldn't remember the name, it's not exactly memorable is it!

I don't suppose there has ever been a full English version?

Thanks for the quick answer, Haze I doubt you'd remember me but it's been about 20 years since I used to regularly get involved on the MAME forums.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Name the game? (puzzle game similar to Bishi Bashi) new [Re: Gameshow Host]
#377012 - 06/19/18 09:12 PM

> > > First of all... wow it's been a long time since I was on this forum! I can't
> > believe
> > > this forum is still using the old single-message format! (It seems quite archaic
> > > now.) I was a regular on the original MAME forum, before it was closed.
> > >
> > > Anyway... I was just thinking about old arcade games I used to play on MAME 20
> > years
> > > ago, and one game popped into my head that I'd totally forgotten about, and can't
> > > remember the name.
> > >
> > > It was a Japanese "minigame" style game, like the Bishi Bashi series. But it had
> > more
> > > of a "puzzle" style than Bishi Bashi. Like, you had to quickly solve puzzles.
> > >
> > > The only round I remember clearly was one where you had to assemble robots from
> > > various parts.
> > >
> > > Whatever the game was called, I really used to love it
> >
> > Probably Sega's Tant-R, it's one of the first things I emulated in MAME.
>
> YES!!!!!! That's it! I love that game!
>
> No wonder I couldn't remember the name, it's not exactly memorable is it!
>
> I don't suppose there has ever been a full English version?
>
> Thanks for the quick answer, Haze I doubt you'd remember me but it's been about 20
> years since I used to regularly get involved on the MAME forums.

To my knowledge there's no official English version, unlike the sequel.

The Japanese version was heavily bootlegged in Europe (usually on a converted Columns PCB without audio samples, and no text translated) and there is a dedicated Korean release that was entirely in Korean except for an English title screen, but we've never seen an official English version.

It might be one of those things that just shows up unexpectedly one day, but I'm more inclined to think it didn't exist.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Sega's Tant-R new [Re: Gameshow Host]
#377014 - 06/19/18 09:25 PM

>I was a regular on the original MAME[MAME.net] forum, before it was closed.

Good times it was back then on Gridle's old MAME.net site although the daily "when will CPS-2 games be emulated" back then was a test of patience.

>I can't believe this forum is still using the old single-message format! (It seems quite archaic now.)

twisty [former MW admin] did a pretty good job of getting this forum set up when he was running things for RocLobsta at the time. To me the forum has enough features and options to still be useful. What I miss is twisty being around to fix any issues that crept up.

>>Probably Sega's Tant-R,

>there has ever been a full English version?

Looking at supported sets in the file src/mame/drivers/segac2.cpp

--
Sega / Elorg Bloxeed (World, C System)
Sega / Elorg Bloxeed (US, C System, Rev A)

Sega Columns (World)
Sega Columns (US, cocktail, Rev A)
Sega Columns (Japan)

Sega Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (World)
Sega Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (Korea)
Sega Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (Japan)

Sega Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (Japan)
Sega Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (Korea)
-

There is a chance that a World version was made, but yet to be found and supported. Some might believe not a chance, but they have been proven wrong on occasion.

Using Konami Crazy Cross game series as an example...

-
src/mame/drivers/konamigx.cpp

GAME( 1994, crzcross, konamigx, gokuparo, puzldama, konamigx_state, init_posthack, ROT0, "Konami", "Crazy Cross (ver EAA)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS )
GAME( 1994, puzldama, crzcross, gokuparo, puzldama, konamigx_state, init_posthack, ROT0, "Konami", "Taisen Puzzle-dama (ver JAA)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS )

src/mame/drivers/konamigv.cpp

GAME( 1996, lacrazyc, konamigv, konamigv, konamigv, konamigv_state, empty_init, ROT0, "Konami", "Let's Attack Crazy Cross (GV027 Asia 1.10)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND | MACHINE_IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS )
GAME( 1996, susume, lacrazyc, konamigv, konamigv, konamigv_state, empty_init, ROT0, "Konami", "Susume! Taisen Puzzle-Dama (GV027 Japan 1.20)", MACHINE_IMPERFECT_SOUND | MACHINE_IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS )
-

For the time that Bobby Tribble had unMAMEd up and running first starting as an independent hosted web site before moving to old MAME.net web site [now closed] and now currently hosted on MW web site, there were images of Crazy Cross showing English text on the game screen. I don't remember where Bobby got those old images, but for the time they were posted in the Konami section of Bobby's unMAMEd site, the images led to disagreements of whether an English language ever did exist in arcades. Some were certain that no English language supported versions were ever made.

The first surprise was...iirc sometime between 2009 to 2011 Let's Attack Crazy Cross (GV027 Asia 1.10) [plays English language] was found.

That convinced a few that maybe an actual English language version of Crazy Cross may have existed. In 2014, it was finally proven when one of the contributors found a European region of Crazy Cross in which it was added to MAME then. That find finally ended that drama.

So going back to Sega Puzzle & Action: Tant-R there could be a chance that a World/English language version, but has not yet been found. But take it in a casual approach that it may be a while in case a world version does turn up.

There have been some recent finds that weren't expected such as Titan and El Fin del Tiempo finally found and added for this year.

And since you were away, the Gaelco games protection device has been solved and now the Gaelco games have been preserved and fully emulated in MAME. And also some Sega Model 2 games now considered fully working and playable in MAME.

Gameshow Host
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sega's Tant-R new [Re: gregf]
#377023 - 06/20/18 01:53 PM

Thank you both so much Haze and Greg for the answers and information!

> To my knowledge there's no official English version, unlike the sequel.

> Sega Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (World)

Oooh! I'm so glad I made this thread now - not only do I have the game's name, but now I've learned of the sequel, which I'd never heard of before! And is fully English! Yay!

I just adore these games. They're a unique combination of minigames and puzzle and I don't think there is anything else quite like them

I also love how quirky and odd they are. The round with all the animal noises is particularly hilarious. And that random, slightly disturbing "wow" sample cracks me up on the level selector screen. (I see the sequel had a brand new random "wow" sample LOL)

Haze
Send PM

#377024 - 06/20/18 02:32 PM

> Thank you both so much Haze and Greg for the answers and information!
>
> > To my knowledge there's no official English version, unlike the sequel.
>
> > Sega Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (World)
>
> Oooh! I'm so glad I made this thread now - not only do I have the game's name, but
> now I've learned of the sequel, which I'd never heard of before! And is fully
> English! Yay!
>
> I just adore these games. They're a unique combination of minigames and puzzle and I
> don't think there is anything else quite like them
>
> I also love how quirky and odd they are. The round with all the animal noises is
> particularly hilarious. And that random, slightly disturbing "wow" sample cracks me
> up on the level selector screen. (I see the sequel had a brand new random "wow"
> sample LOL)

It's an entire series. After the two running on Megadrive / Genesis based arcade hardware (C2) they moved onto Saturn based arcade hardware (STV) for the next 2 games

there's
Puzzle & Action: Sando-R which got a rather chopped up English release as 'Treasure Hunt' too although it isn't entirely clear if that was properly licensed or produced by Deniam without Sega's knowledge (the cartridge doesn't have real sega EPR numbers on the roms)

finally there is the 4th entry in the series
Taisen Tanto-R Sashissu!! which seems to be Japan only again

apparently the PS2 did have an English version of the original Tant-R as part of some collection, but obviously that's not in MAME as MAME doesn't emulate the PS2 yet (and it's not a case of it being an emulated version on the PS2, it's a rewritten game using higher resolution gfx etc.)

Gameshow Host
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sega's Tant-R new [Re: Haze]
#377102 - 06/22/18 06:25 PM

> It's an entire series. After the two running on Megadrive / Genesis based arcade
> hardware (C2) they moved onto Saturn based arcade hardware (STV) for the next 2 games

Ooooh, that's fantastic! Thanks Haze.

Not only have you reminded me the name of this old favorite game, you've now informed me that there are FOUR of these games! That's fantastic!

> MAME doesn't emulate the PS2 yet

Fascinating you should say "yet"! I really haven't kept up with the MAME scene, and can't claim speak for you guys about MAME's intended purpose - but I can't really see any need to emulate a single, standardized piece of hardware as widely available as the PS2. Surely it isn't anywhere near close to disappearing into obscurity? (Plus it's not an arcade machine?)

Haze
Send PM

#377104 - 06/22/18 06:31 PM

> > It's an entire series. After the two running on Megadrive / Genesis based arcade
> > hardware (C2) they moved onto Saturn based arcade hardware (STV) for the next 2
> games
>
> Ooooh, that's fantastic! Thanks Haze.
>
> Not only have you reminded me the name of this old favorite game, you've now informed
> me that there are FOUR of these games! That's fantastic!
>
> > MAME doesn't emulate the PS2 yet
>
> Fascinating you should say "yet"! I really haven't kept up with the MAME scene, and
> can't claim speak for you guys about MAME's intended purpose - but I can't really see
> any need to emulate a single, standardized piece of hardware as widely available as
> the PS2. Surely it isn't anywhere near close to disappearing into obscurity? (Plus
> it's not an arcade machine?)

MAME does a lot more than arcade machines these days.

Also there are arcade games running on PS2 based hardware that aren't emulated anywhere right now. (http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=543 for example )

Otherwise, yeah PS2 is probably less 'at risk' than newer machines where a lot of the content was digital, the hardware was less reliable, there were all sorts of updates, different revisions of firmwares, things tied to having an online account etc. (I notice even where people have collected game updates they haven't collected patches that were downloaded ingame, eg. official data update packs, game calibration data etc.) There is a fair amount of very rare material even for the PS2 that is still not dumped tho, especially once you start exploring the Japanese library.

MAME probably should be doing PS2 era at this point, although it's quite a challenge so I'm not really surprised nobody has taken it on yet.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 543