MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!?
#376716 - 06/08/18 05:48 PM

Please see my thread below but don’t get sucked into the JAMMA discussion. Bottom line, what revisions of PR ROMs do we already have in MAME (I think 2.0 and 2.3), and how can I tell which version mine is.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=429926

I’ll be happy to get this in MAME if needed, but the board is big and heavy, so I’d rather be sure! Also, if this is an undumped early revision, maybe it can help get the protection figured out to fully emulate it?

Edited by XtraSmiley (06/08/18 05:54 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!? new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#376718 - 06/08/18 05:59 PM

The OS and Main is what's used to tell this as far as I know and they match the version 2.0 in mame. The 2.0 and 2.3 probably come from rom labels of the program roms. Anyway you should be able to upgrade your board to 2.3 if you replace the program roms. You could probably dump them anyway if you have a programmer to check if they flubbed an update by not updating the OS and Main code but I wouldn't mail anything out based on this.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

Re: Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376719 - 06/08/18 06:24 PM

> The OS and Main is what's used to tell this as far as I know and they match the
> version 2.0 in mame. The 2.0 and 2.3 probably come from rom labels of the program
> roms. Anyway you should be able to upgrade your board to 2.3 if you replace the
> program roms. You could probably dump them anyway if you have a programmer to check
> if they flubbed an update by not updating the OS and Main code but I wouldn't mail
> anything out based on this.

I don’t remember the MAME version having the word DEMO ONLY always floating in the picture (you can see it in my conquest screen I posted), but maybe this is a setting I need to turn off? The words DEMO ONLY are always on during fights.

Edited by XtraSmiley (06/08/18 06:27 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!? new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#376720 - 06/08/18 06:30 PM

I'm not an expert on the game but that could be something, maybe a proto version and then they didn't update the OS and Main numbers on the 2.0 release, or maybe it's a bug or setting, can you post a pic of the program rom labels?

Edit: I looked at the dumps and it has some roms labeled the same between sets but with different data which is not good, just the roms at 2w and 2v are labeled differently so those are the most important to get a picture of, but because the rom labels are a mess you probably should just dump it. That doesn't mean you necessarily have to ship the pcb out though, you could just put the eproms in an antistatic padding and the shipping would probably only be like 5 bucks.

It's possible the rom labels also have some checksum code printed on them as well, I'm not sure.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376736 - 06/09/18 04:11 AM

> I'm not an expert on the game but that could be something, maybe a proto version and
> then they didn't update the OS and Main numbers on the 2.0 release, or maybe it's a
> bug or setting, can you post a pic of the program rom labels?
>
> Edit: I looked at the dumps and it has some roms labeled the same between sets but
> with different data which is not good, just the roms at 2w and 2v are labeled
> differently so those are the most important to get a picture of, but because the rom
> labels are a mess you probably should just dump it. That doesn't mean you necessarily
> have to ship the pcb out though, you could just put the eproms in an antistatic
> padding and the shipping would probably only be like 5 bucks.
>
> It's possible the rom labels also have some checksum code printed on them as well,
> I'm not sure.

Yeah, no. Insure the fuck out of that package and add signature confirmation. Don't trust USPS with anything now.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Is this dumped? New (old) revision of Primal Rage!? new [Re: Foxhack]
#376739 - 06/09/18 04:22 AM

Whatever UPS or Fedex charges. I wasn't endorsing USPS.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 810 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 639