MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Doubt about NVRAM files
#376482 - 05/29/18 02:41 AM

Does it make any difference having NVRAM enabled? I see that some games generate NVRAM files while others do not. What's the purpose of these files?

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Doubt about NVRAM files new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#376484 - 05/29/18 03:27 AM

Uuuummmm, you've been around since 2005 with over 400 posts, and you're asking a newbie question about NVRAM files?? (Just giving you crap)

Later games (say 1990's) saved settings. These settings are stored in your NVRAM files. Like, for instance, when you run MK2, when you go to the system menu and change game settings. Or you unlock characters in UMK3, etc. All those are stored in the NVRAM. If you delete the NVRAM files, the games will go back to there default settings. That's a simple example of how they work

Edited by Envisaged0ne (05/29/18 03:41 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#376485 - 05/29/18 05:52 AM

> Does it make any difference having NVRAM enabled? I see that some games generate
> NVRAM files while others do not. What's the purpose of these files?

You can do that?

*looks up NVRAM on the INI and notices the nvram_save option*

Oh look at that, we indeed can. I'm always deleting those files while carefully avoiding the ones I want to keep. Now I can disable them by default and enable them individually if I need them.

As stated previously you can think of NVRAM files as the INI files of a system. It stores system settings, timed unlocks and in some cases you could avoid long system initializations that occur when you boot a game for the first time. It's important also for cartridge based systems if you want to keep your progress saved on those with an internal battery like the Zelda and Pokemon games.

The beauty of nvram_save now that I've tested it is, if you turn it off any previous .nv files are still read and kept as read only.

BTW, some systems don't generate .nv files because they don't have Non-volatile Random Access Memory. Before that they used to store configurations using dip switches and I think those are saved by MAME on the .cfg files.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#376486 - 05/29/18 12:43 PM

>

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Doubt about NVRAM files new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#376487 - 05/29/18 01:54 PM

> Uuuummmm, you've been around since 2005 with over 400 posts, and you're asking a
> newbie question about NVRAM files?? (Just giving you crap)

hhmmmm....yep! Sometimes I like to act like a noob just for fun, so I can read all the funny comments posted by haters. (Just giving you back the crap)

Now, the reason I asked such question is because some NVRAM files are affecting my .inp recordings and I would like to be sure that disabling NVRAM would be better for me. As you can see, this kind of info may be useful to other users with the same problem.

And thanks for the serious replies people!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1273