MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

are some torrent clients more "tyrannical" than others?
#376305 - 05/20/18 07:46 AM

pleasuredome recommended qtorrent, so i'm using it for now.

with utorrent, i've had stuff downloading before at 5+MB, and no problem with general internet speeds. with qtorrent, at around 400k/16kup, nobody else can use the internet. both clients are max at 100 connections. is something going on here that isn't obvious?

i learned everything i know from KC

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: are some torrent clients more "tyrannical" than others? new [Re: jopezu]
#376306 - 05/20/18 12:31 PM

>

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: are some torrent clients more "tyrannical" than others? new [Re: Robbbert]
#376307 - 05/20/18 12:57 PM

> > pleasuredome recommended qtorrent, so i'm using it for now.
> >
> > with utorrent, i've had stuff downloading before at 5+MB, and no problem with
> general
> > internet speeds. with qtorrent, at around 400k/16kup, nobody else can use the
> > internet. both clients are max at 100 connections. is something going on here that
> > isn't obvious?
>
> You can still use utorrent if you want, if it does the job for you. You're not
> "required" to use qtorrent. You could reduce the number of connections, or the max
> upload speed and see if it makes things easier on your internet.
>
> I think the main problem with utorrent was since it was taken over and became plagued
> with advertising and serious bugs. The older versions are ok afaik.

I think there are security issues with the old versions tho, which with a piece of software accepting connections from any source is an issue, especially combined with an older / unpatched OS. When it comes to any software accepting and processing remote connections it's a risk to be using old versions, many are vulnerable to maliciously crafted packets.

Also by continuing to use and promote the program and people seeing it in usage statistics etc. people will continue to think it's a good piece of software and end up installing the new versions with all their nastiness, or an old version while online (which will auto update to a new one)

Better to just burn it with fire.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 286