MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Windows update restart....
#376239 - 05/17/18 01:19 AM

No, user. You can't just restart the computer yourself willy-nilly any ol' time ya feel like it. We'll restart your computer when WE say it's time to restart. WE have to do it... It's more... Special that way.

Why in the is this a thing?

LEVEL-4

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#376240 - 05/17/18 01:25 AM

> No, user. You can't just restart the computer yourself willy-nilly any ol' time ya
> feel like it. We'll restart your computer when WE say it's time to restart. WE have
> to do it... It's more... Special that way.
>
>
> Why in the is this a thing?

Does it at least restart when it restarts?

I've never had a problem telling it to restart, but whether I tell it to because it's forgotten half of my headphones somehow, or it says it's time to restart to update, it almost always fails to restart, and tells me it's sorry but there was a problem and it needs to restart. Supposedly that's on Logitech.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#376251 - 05/17/18 03:45 PM

> Does it at least restart when it restarts?

After about an hour. The update takes longer than installing Windows.

Maybe it's faster on an SSD if you don't care about things like guaranteed computer crashes...

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#376252 - 05/17/18 04:11 PM

> Why in the is this a thing?

Because FAT.

OG.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376254 - 05/17/18 07:19 PM

250GB SSD for boot/apps

Spinning rust for data

Best of both worlds.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#376261 - 05/18/18 03:09 AM

That only works on paper. In real life SSD is absolute shit, will crash 100X faster than a normal drive and on top of it you just lose everything when it crashes, every bit is gone. You can say well just reinstall Windows and don't keep files on C, but that is bullshit, you're still going to lose work and you're going to lose every preset you made for programs and you're going to have to buy another drive.

If I could find the person who created them I'd twist his head of like a bottlecap and anyone running a business on them is a fool.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#376267 - 05/18/18 05:16 AM

> That only works on paper. In real life SSD is absolute shit, will crash 100X faster
> than a normal drive and on top of it you just lose everything when it crashes, every
> bit is gone.

Does the word "backup" mean anything to you? If you're not backing up everything on a regular basis, regardless of what kind of drive you use, you're asking for the sandpaper dildo.

With 7 computers running here, Windows death crashes happen far too often, but thanks to Macrium Reflect and a rigorous automated schedule, we've certainly never lost everything, and rarely lost more than a couple of hours' work.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: JWJr]
#376268 - 05/18/18 05:22 AM

If you are doing creative work like presets on sound and video fuck no you are not wasting your life backing up every one of the folders every single day and you are using your desktop for what the shit is meant for and not having to risk going bad wiped out in less than a goddamn month.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#376269 - 05/18/18 05:49 AM

> If you are doing creative work like presets on sound and video fuck no you are not
> wasting your life backing up every one of the folders every single day and you are
> using your desktop for what the shit is meant for and not having to risk going bad
> wiped out in less than a goddamn month.

That sucks man.

I will say this again because I think it can't be said enough. Keep your drives cool, especially if you have multiple drives.

I have TWO (silent) case fans blowing straight onto my 4 drives (one is an SSD). Keep your drives fanned. I'm not saying that this would have saved your shit but it's all you can do.

S

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

You can use your PC while its backing up new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376272 - 05/18/18 03:38 PM

Macrium will work in the background.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#376277 - 05/18/18 04:47 PM

I agree in that I wish they were more resilient and provide more warning that they are about to fail, but they work well for what they are. You just do backups as you should for whatever your data is stored on.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#376283 - 05/18/18 10:54 PM

> If you are doing creative work like presets on sound and video fuck no you are not
> wasting your life backing up every one of the folders every single day and you are
> using your desktop for what the shit is meant for and not having to risk going bad
> wiped out in less than a goddamn month.

You missed the word "automated". Unless you work around the clock, your computer can easily back up changed files every day while you sleep, at zero productivity cost to you.

The nature of electronic devices is that it's not unusual for them to fail very quickly upon being put into service.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#376284 - 05/18/18 11:26 PM

Or set up two drives in a RAID mirror so that there's a real-time backup.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: krick]
#376286 - 05/19/18 02:10 AM

Then you still have to buy a new SSD drive every other month. Wow where do I sign up?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#376287 - 05/19/18 02:14 AM

That's a nice terrible idea. Then you're going to thrash more use on it on every backup, the exact thing that makes them die quickly. Flash chips/drives absolutely are not suitable for the constant rewrites that a PC user needs. It's a failed experiment, the writing is on the wall, now all the fails are on the buyer's shoulders. I've had plenty of hard drives, lost count, maybe had 1 normal drive fail in a few months and all the others lasted years and years. The last SSD drive I had didn't even last 30 days.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Send PM

#376295 - 05/19/18 03:38 PM

I just checked the stack of old HDs in the basement, and our 7 Windows machines here all switched over to SSDs in August of 2012. That's 5+ years, and zero hardware failures, on computers that stay on 24/7 and back themselves up completely very other day.

I can't explain your problems, other than to wonder if it's something in your computing environment (most likely heat).

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Didn’t Backblaze studies debunk heat? new [Re: JWJr]
#376297 - 05/19/18 05:22 PM

I seem to remember reading something about their failure rate studies that indicated heat wasn’t really a factor.

My PC is powered on 24/7 as well. I believe it’s better for components long term because the strain is consistent vs repeated heating/cooling and the elimination of the initial jolt from repeated power ups.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#376298 - 05/19/18 06:20 PM

Backup images are your friend. I've not had an SSD fail on me yet. When I do, it'll take like 20 minutes at most to be right where I left off.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#376308 - 05/20/18 01:28 PM

> I just checked the stack of old HDs in the basement, and our 7 Windows machines here
> all switched over to SSDs in August of 2012. That's 5+ years, and zero hardware
> failures, on computers that stay on 24/7 and back themselves up completely very other
> day.
>
> I can't explain your problems, other than to wonder if it's something in your
> computing environment (most likely heat).

my experiences, and those of many of my friends are the same as smitt's

seems to depend entirely on usage patterns

tried a few setups of regular drives and ssds, taking the most IO demanding tasks away from the ssds, but then most of the benefits of the ssd were lost in such cases anyway

work pretty well in a casual use laptop etc. with less risk of damage due to being dropped tho.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: Haze]
#376310 - 05/20/18 03:30 PM

So what BRAND SSDs are failing? Are they known name brands such as Samsung, Toshiba, etc.?

My SSD is an older 128GB Samsung 830:

Power-On Hours (POH) 1138d 9h
Total LBAs Written 28,335,867,910

NO problems so far. Fucker will probably die today now.
I run a backup image everyday. Now using Veritas System Recovery.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Windows update restart.... new [Re: redk9258]
#376316 - 05/20/18 11:04 PM

> So what BRAND SSDs are failing? Are they known name brands such as Samsung, Toshiba,
> etc.?
>
> My SSD is an older 128GB Samsung 830:
>
> Power-On Hours (POH) 1138d 9h
> Total LBAs Written 28,335,867,910
>
> NO problems so far. Fucker will probably die today now.
> I run a backup image everyday. Now using Veritas System Recovery.

samsung, corsair, intel doesn't seem to be anything in it.

some generic 'non-brand' one which ironically lasted better than the others..

pretty sure it's just down to use patterns not manufacturers, using them as compile drives seems to nuke any consumer grade ones within a matter of weeks.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Maybe Optane? new [Re: Haze]
#376318 - 05/21/18 04:46 PM

Once it reaches consumer level pricing with realistic storage capacities.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 781