MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: X-Ray Vision
#376142 - 05/13/18 08:12 PM

ArcadeHacker x-rayed Pop'n Run

*=/STARRIDER\=* sent in the chips from Great Swordsmen needing to be decapped which are being forwarded to Caps0ff

Hammy got a Street Fighter II bootleg that lets you adjust levels with dips and displays the level on bootup

Layer sent us a dump of Heavy Barrel (US)

If you want to be a DU contributor click here:

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: DU: X-Ray Vision new [Re: Smitdogg]
#376147 - 05/13/18 08:57 PM

> ArcadeHacker x-rayed Pop'n Run
>
>
> *=/STARRIDER\=* sent in the chips from Great Swordsmen needing to be decapped which
> are being forwarded to Caps0ff
>
>
> Hammy got a Street Fighter II bootleg that lets you adjust levels with dips and
> displays the level on bootup
>
>
> Layer sent us a dump of Heavy Barrel (US)
>
>
> If you want to be a DU contributor click here:
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html

Now the question is: will those new Great Swordsman chips also be lost?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: X-Ray Vision new [Re: Master O]
#376149 - 05/13/18 09:01 PM

They weren't lost, they were damaged. That tends to happen when you chop things.

DoomSooth
Reged: 01/18/04
Send PM

#376150 - 05/13/18 09:04 PM

Speaking of Heavy Barrel, whatever happened to the dump of the bootleg that uses non-rotary joysticks?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#376160 - 05/14/18 05:28 AM

>ArcadeHacker x-rayed Pop'n Run

If this gets some strategy to determine how to copy data from the encased roms, good luck.
I hope it works out of getting a method to extract data without having to damage the pcb.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#376168 - 05/14/18 11:55 AM

> ArcadeHacker x-rayed Pop'n Run
>
>

all modules or just one?

the sprite module(s) aren't going to be the same as the background modules as the background ones also contain layout data while the sprite ones do not.

anyway, based on those pictures and other resources I can probably tell you what each of the dies inside actually is.

air raid ones might be slightly different again.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: DU: X-Ray Vision new [Re: gregf]
#376175 - 05/14/18 04:29 PM

> > ArcadeHacker x-rayed Pop'n Run
>
> If this gets some strategy to determine how to copy data from the encased roms, good
> luck.
> I hope it works out of getting a method to extract data without having to damage the
> pcb.

...or maybe just another job for the monkeys ?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: X-Ray Vision new [Re: Haze]
#376194 - 05/15/18 03:13 AM Attachment: x-rays.rar 11937 KB (7 downloads)

attached

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#376216 - 05/15/18 07:26 PM

> attached

yeah does look like I'd expect IMHO

a Seibu custom, 4 roms in the BG one (2x tile data, 2x layout data) what is probably a colour lookup PROM and some logic.

a Seibu custom, 2 roms in the SPR one, what is probably a colour lookup PROM and some logic.

Air Raid ones would be interesting for comparison, as I'm more certain that those do contain a colour lookup PROM.

I guess also an xray of a SEI0010BU which I guess is the seibu custom inside might also be interesting for comparison.

hopefully these will help the guys trying to work out a way to read them at least, I suspect it's going to take some drilling down to where the connections are and reading out each ROM / PROM manually tho, which won't be easy, especially without knowing what each pin is, which I don't think you can work out even from the xrays. I don't envy whoever has to dump these.

I doubt the raw data is exposed along the edge either, so to emulate it properly the content of each relevant die will be needed.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 832