MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

kenaan
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/19/07
Send PM

Best frontend for MAME 0.197, Win 7 64 bit and Betson Imperial 27" CRT
#375983 - 05/02/18 04:02 PM

I was Using Mala prior to 0.197. I need recommendations for an up-to-date retro-looking frontend. Mala can't handle the XML, and I don't want to have to edit it as per the "workaround".

Edited by kenaan (05/02/18 04:18 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Best frontend for MAME 0.197, Win 7 64 bit and Betson Imperial 27" CRT new [Re: kenaan]
#375984 - 05/02/18 04:17 PM

I use GameEX on my Sony Trinitron CRT setup. It works really nice for me. It allows you to add separate lists as well if you like using software lists for the popular console stuff.

kenaan
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/19/07
Send PM

Re: Best frontend for MAME 0.197, Win 7 64 bit and Betson Imperial 27" CRT new [Re: B2K24]
#376024 - 05/06/18 01:45 PM

Tempted to try it but irritated that the website insists on playing loud sounds even with my windows sounds turned off....grrrrrr.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Attract-Mode new [Re: kenaan]
#376026 - 05/06/18 04:21 PM

"Attract-Mode is a graphical frontend for command line emulators such as MAME, MESS and Nestopia. It hides the underlying operating system and is intended to be controlled with a joystick, gamepad or spin dial, making it ideal for use in arcade cabinets. Attract-Mode is open source and runs on Linux, OS X and Windows-based systems."

It is very easy to configure and looks great. I use a customized version of the "Attrac-Man" layout.

http://attractmode.org/about.html

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Attract-Mode new [Re: Trebor]
#376034 - 05/07/18 01:02 AM

I started playing around with Attract-Mode on a 15KHz low-res arcade monitor.
My windows desktop is currently running at 640x480 interlaced.

The game name text on the default Attract-Mode layout is barely readable. I either need a different font that is more legible on an interlaced screen, or I need a different layout that has larger text.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Attract-Mode new [Re: krick]
#376065 - 05/09/18 04:11 AM

> The game name text on the default Attract-Mode layout is barely readable. I either
> need a different font that is more legible on an interlaced screen, or I need a
> different layout that has larger text.

With Attract-Mode launched:
-Press 'Tab' key.
-"Configure" menu appears.
-Arrow key down to "General".
-Note options to set "Default Font" and "Font Path" and set accordingly.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Attract-Mode new [Re: Trebor]
#376067 - 05/09/18 05:12 AM

Yep. I've been there. It doesn't appear to support bitmap fonts and I can't get it to recognize many of the truetype fonts that I tried. For example, I couldn't get Courier New to work. I tried courier, Courier New, and "Courier New" (in quotes) and couldn't get it working. I don't see any rhyme or reason why some fonts work while others don't.

Out of the ones that did work, tahoma seems to be the most legible on my interlaced screen but the point size is still slightly too small for it to be completely legible.

Things that would make Attract-Mode more usable for me...

1) some way to quickly cycle through each of the fonts on the system without editing the config and restarting like a "font preview" page

2) a way to adjust the font size

3) bitmap font support (I know, not likely)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 978