View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/17
Send PM

HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists
#375873 - 04/27/18 11:14 PM

Hi guys, I'm part of a preservation group called Video Game Preservation Collective, and we are always looking for more people to join the conversation and hunt down games to preserve. Many of our members are Redump, and no-intro contributers, but we want to expand the dialog more about preserving arcade games - as well as act as a central hub for game preservation discussion in general. Feel free to drop our Discord to join the conversation, and our website as well:

https://www.preservegames.org/?m=1
https://discord.gg/956h8W

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: SkylarNerd]
#375875 - 04/28/18 12:31 AM

The DU is already doing this with 100 members and don't need another group bidding against us but you're going to do what you want at the end of the day.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#375901 - 04/29/18 11:40 PM

> Hi guys, I'm part of a preservation group called Video Game Preservation Collective,
> and we are always looking for more people to join the conversation and hunt down
> games to preserve. Many of our members are Redump, and no-intro contributers, but we
> want to expand the dialog more about preserving arcade games - as well as act as a
> central hub for game preservation discussion in general. Feel free to drop our
> Discord to join the conversation, and our website as well:
>
> https://www.preservegames.org/?m=1
> https://discord.gg/956h8W

It's just a shame that almost the entire library of PSX games will have to be dumped again since most dumps didn't come with any documentation besides the CRC32/MD5/SHA1 hashes, even after countless verifications. Since providing documentation alongside the dumps is not required over at redump.org, most people don't add anything besides the bare minimum of hashes, file size, EXE date, the stamped IFPI code on the disc and maybe the barcode on the back cover if lucky.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#375918 - 04/30/18 06:21 PM

> Hi guys, I'm part of a preservation group called Video Game Preservation Collective,
> and we are always looking for more people to join the conversation and hunt down
> games to preserve. Many of our members are Redump, and no-intro contributers, but we
> want to expand the dialog more about preserving arcade games - as well as act as a
> central hub for game preservation discussion in general. Feel free to drop our
> Discord to join the conversation, and our website as well:
>
> https://www.preservegames.org/?m=1
> https://discord.gg/956h8W

While I appreciate your work, I strongly recommend that for arcade game preservation (and its scope is growing), you correspond, communicate, and coordinate directly with "The Dumping Union" so as not to duplicate work, not conflict and compete in bidding wars all towards the same goals, etc.

See here for more information: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=311481

For some of the work to be done, a lot of notes have been dumped at a related project, the Undumped Wiki: https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Main_Page

- Stiletto

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: Stiletto]
#375920 - 04/30/18 06:43 PM

Quote:

While I appreciate your work, I strongly recommend that for arcade game preservation (and its scope is growing), you correspond, communicate, and coordinate directly with "The Dumping Union" so as not to duplicate work, not conflict and compete in bidding wars all towards the same goals, etc.

While I agree with this on principle, there's still a lot of work to be done for MAME with verifying dumps, redoing bad dumps and filling out incomplete dumps with bipolar PROMs and such.

(On a related note, the Undumped Wiki includes a "Bad dump" category page, but since it's automatically generated from MAME's -listroms output and was last updated well over a year ago, I consider it more or less useless.)

Hardware preservationists could probably also use some sort of comprehensive guide to dumping ICs, including some obsolete types with no real protection against dumping except people not knowing how to wire them up.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#375921 - 04/30/18 06:53 PM

> (On a related note, the Undumped Wiki includes a "Bad dump" category page, but since
> it's automatically generated from MAME's -listroms output and was last updated well
> over a year ago, I consider it more or less useless.)

It almost always has been useless, it's a vestigial thing left over from Dumping Project days, and was fairly pointless even then. Even so, as Undumped Wiki continues to expand and rebuild, general gameplan is to eventually switch from ProgettoEMMA generating that to adb.arcadeitalia.net generating that (as well as many of the other ProgettoEMMA links), unless ProgettoEMMA stages a remarkable comeback.

- Stiletto

SkylarNerd
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/15/17
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375928 - 04/30/18 09:27 PM

We're not competing. We're just a community trying to do our part. Personally, I and a few others are looking for old school film from arcades from the 70s. This includes 16mm film and EVR. If anyone has info on that, please let me know. (I talk to gregf frequently)

dizzzy
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/22/18
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: Stiletto]
#375988 - 05/02/18 11:36 PM

Thank you for your reply Stiletto,

The purpose of this post was to invite other preservationists to a chat for the purposes of making preserving arcade systems easier for newer users or preservationists from one project to interface with other projects.

Many of us have been dumpers on redump.org and no-intro for years and years. Needless to say, we're not looking to start a competing group, but more to keep lines of communication open between pre-existing projects.

For example, one of our VGPC users / redumper has several undumped Sega Mega-Tech System games. Ideally one or two MAME / arcade preservation enthusiasts might be around in the chat to guide him on how to submit to MAME or even dump the carts. I have found these kinds of channels of communication are essential for guiding new contributors into projects.

I understand the difficulty for helping MAME vs most other preservation projects has a much higher bar set, but coordination between preservationists has proved useful already for other projects, and we would love to extend an invitation to any MAME preservationists that would like to join our chat.

Thanks for your time, keep up the great work.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: dizzzy]
#375989 - 05/03/18 12:08 AM

> For example, one of our VGPC users / redumper has several undumped Sega Mega-Tech
> System games.

are they genuine?

like with Playchoice 10 the market ended up being flooded with fake conversions based on popular games, rather than the genuine thing

there are a LOT of gaps in the MT library (genuine games have a unique ID on the instruction rom, assuming the people making bootlegs didn't fake those too)

dizzzy
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/22/18
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: Haze]
#376007 - 05/03/18 08:02 PM

I believe they are originals, he posted a pic on our discord. he has many rare sega discs he is dumping for redump and i thought of you guys. but someone will have to reach out to him. he wants to know the best way to remove the label carefully - doing as least damage as possible. this isn't my realm, but i would love if some mame evangelists joined the group for this kind of thing... or for any crossover between collectors helping our projects.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: HELP WANTED: MAME Preservationists new [Re: dizzzy]
#376008 - 05/04/18 01:38 AM

When I dump them I find the holes with a finger then use an exacto knife to cut out a perfect circle over the screws. You could try using heat to remove the sticker completely but I wouldn't. It would probably make it shrivel.Then there is the issue of desoldering the roms which I imagine is a bigger roadblock.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1475