View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Provenance is kind of bada$$
#375835 - 04/26/18 03:27 AM

as far as iOS emulators go. Built in web server for uploading roms? Sweet! I think I finally have a reason to spend the cash on a nimbus...

https://github.com/Provenance-Emu/Provenance

Sideload with cydia impactor

or if jailbroken use cydia. if not already in there, the repo is: http://beta.unlimapps.com

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: URherenow]
#375837 - 04/26/18 06:26 AM

> as far as iOS emulators go.

As far as emulators in general go, it isn't one. It's a frontend, like RetroArch, which simply aggregates together a bunch of other peoples' work behind a slick UI.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#375841 - 04/26/18 11:35 AM

> > as far as iOS emulators go.
>
> As far as emulators in general go, it isn't one. It's a frontend, like RetroArch,
> which simply aggregates together a bunch of other peoples' work behind a slick UI.

yep, that seems to be the new model

"let's take stuff other people wrote, glue it together, and make money off it"

In this case a Webserver, and some RA-like crap.

the people doing this type of things arne't contributing to the scene at all, quite the opposite, they're taking much needed users and donations from where they're actually needed and also putting out a message that you don't need to know a thing about emulation to be the 'most popular emulator' which also means the number of people investing time in learning how to actually develop emulators goes down too.

Again, this is one of about 50 reasons why I keep saying things like RA, and that model are just parasites, intentionally or otherwise.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: Haze]
#375844 - 04/26/18 04:48 PM

And you begged for it when you guys made it legal to take mame and do this and now act surprised when people do it. You held out a cooked hotdog in front of a hungry dog's face and then got surprised when it ate it. 100% mamedev's fault.

Even on the mamedev front page there's a link to fork a new version of mame. Why the fuck would you want that. I know that's unrelated, but it's not really.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375846 - 04/26/18 05:42 PM

> And you begged for it when you guys made it legal to take mame and do this and now
> act surprised when people do it. You held out a cooked hotdog in front of a hungry
> dog's face and then got surprised when it ate it. 100% mamedev's fault.
>
> Even on the mamedev front page there's a link to fork a new version of mame. Why the
> fuck would you want that. I know that's unrelated, but it's not really.

Makes zero difference.

If we say they can't distribute / sell MAME they just make it an automatic downloader / updater that then downloads MAME so they're not technically selling it, just their device requires connecting to the internet once before it works. Sources for all the ones not bothering to even do that was places like China, so they're basically untouchable anyway.

Only people the old license was stopping using MAME were people who wanted to make legitimate use of it in museums etc. and felt the non-commercial clause prevented them from doing so.

Also ask the RA scene and they're quite happy to say that a GPLv3 program (RA) can host a native (x86/x64 code) core of any other incompatible license, bypassing all license protections etc. along the way (and since it's been convenient for browsers to do this and support closed plugins, it's generally accepted as OK and not challenged)

Yes, they're arguing against people bundling with RA with said non-commercial emulators, but since they're the root of the problem anyway it's basically just virtue signalling as the 'auto downloader' workaround, which they provide the code to do anyway means you have no protection anyway and people aren't even aware of your license.

Showing support for RA, or projects using that model, or other people who are just bundling existing software is IMHO toxic, and I've repeated this so many times over the years I'm sick of repeating it, yet they keep finding new reasons to repeat it. They are not your friends, they do not really have your interests at heart, they just have slick PR and are willing to stoop to any level of overselling / overhyping their products.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#375851 - 04/27/18 03:20 AM

If people are mixing MAME code under the GPL with other code under licenses not compatible with the GPL or are otherwise not complying with the MAME license then that's copyright infringement and I am sure there are ways to pursue that (assuming the people committing the infringement aren't in China or somewhere else that doesn't respect western copyrights)

URherenow
Send PM

#375854 - 04/27/18 05:38 AM

dude... I don't know what's under the hood, but it's not being "sold". I didn't pay a dime. The release and source is downloaded from github ffs. There is no money being made from this.

Haze
Send PM

#375860 - 04/27/18 11:45 AM

> dude... I don't know what's under the hood, but it's not being "sold". I didn't pay a
> dime. The release and source is downloaded from github ffs. There is no money being
> made from this.

Maybe not in this case, but usually if it's iOS or Android it's people exploiting things tho, as you typically get your software through the stores and there's a long long history of scumbags on those platforms (including ones taking GPL projects, adding significant code and *still* refusing to release the source *and* insulting the original project / project authors as thanks, and an entire scene of people worshiping those doing that because 'free games')

In this case it's just waiting for somebody else to take this prepackaged way of exploiting it tho, which is equally frustrating. What you see is somebody taking something like this, sneaking it into the Apple store with an innocent name, people buying it a bunch of times, it getting pulled, repeat.

Actually a bit surprised we're allowed to talk about software that requires you hacking a current system to use here mind you.

Nate
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/10
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: jonwil]
#375862 - 04/27/18 04:46 PM

all that would do is waste time money and mamedev look evil

Haze
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: jonwil]
#375863 - 04/27/18 05:02 PM

> If people are mixing MAME code under the GPL with other code under licenses not
> compatible with the GPL or are otherwise not complying with the MAME license then
> that's copyright infringement and I am sure there are ways to pursue that (assuming
> the people committing the infringement aren't in China or somewhere else that doesn't
> respect western copyrights)

it basically was mostly china, or the process to actually get anybody to deal with the infringements was too drawn out and always in favour of those infringing

that's one reason MAME decided to go GPL/BSD in the first place, the only people it was hurting by having the non-commercial clause were people trying to do the right thing in the first place.

the RA situation is a bit different RA is GPL, many of the cores it runs are NOT GPL and have no-commercial licenses.

since RA, a GPLv3 program is downloading and launching these non GPL cores without informing the user of the correct license for each core (and that several are non-commercial use) it's making is ridiculously easy for people wanting to sell them to do so without 'technically' violating the license, or making it clear to customers that what they've bought was never meant to be sold in the first place.

RA, ironically, act like they're the ones defending the rights of the emulator authors, when they've created half the problem in the first place by allowing these 'in program' downloads, and by allowing the launching of cores that aren't GPL in the first place, furthermore they basically undermine the wishes of emulation authors at every opportunity anyway (and come up with silly excuses for doing so rather than making a real effort)

It's just a horrible, horrible piece of software, an unneeded piece of middleware trying to grab a cut of the market of every emulator, that unfortunately gains a lot of popularity due to it being 'convenient' and people not giving a shit. The majority of what they do is pulling emulation in completely the wrong direction.

Unfortunately even people like the non-mame guy like to plug it at every opportunity rather than seeing it as the parasite it is.

URherenow
Send PM

#375865 - 04/27/18 05:45 PM

This software requires no hacking. My iPhone is on iOS 11.3, which has no jailbreak. You register for your own FREE apple developer account, which has its limits, of course. There are functions you can't use with a free developer account (I'm talking about what Apple allows, not what Provenance needs), and your dev signature only lasts for 7 days at a time.

Basically, you either download the source in xcode on a MAC and build it (thus signing with your OWN certificate that lasts 7 days) to your phone, OR you grab the latest .ipa release which you side-load using cydia impactor. This also requires your OWN apple developer account credentials to sign it with a valid cert that lasts 7 days (after the time is up, you need to side-load it again with a fresh signature). If you buy into the paid apple developer account, then your cert lasts for a year at a time. The first time you do this, you must go into your settings and "Trust" your certificate. Then the app will run.

Also... this is the Loony Bin. You think talking about software that you need a hacked/jailbroken phone to use, is a problem in a place where the main moderator talks about raping your mother?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#375869 - 04/27/18 07:27 PM

But she likes it though

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: Nate]
#375876 - 04/28/18 02:57 AM

> all that would do is waste time money and mamedev look evil

No kidding.

The right way is to keep making these systems better than what the other emus offer. That means giving some TLC to the bigger console systems. The built in GUI is 'ok' but not exactly eye catching and in some ways kind of odd to use. One of the top frontends for MAME looks like a spreadsheet. It is the one I use because it fills my need as I like the history portions. I find the realm fascinating because I am like that. However, the Retroarch/libretro, Hyperspin, and LaunchBox GUIs are interesting to use. I would even go so far as to say they are kind of cool to use (which is hard to beat). People want to get a bit of nostalgia. That frame skip trick RA is putting in may draw a few people in. But just the initial look will work better. They are not too gaudy but slick enough to be very usable.

Accuracy counts too. It is a big deal. It is a huge deal. The more MAME does it the more it stands head and shoulders above everyone else. Take Dolphin for example. They are learning the same lessons MAME and bsnes learned long ago. Accuracy counts and fixes bugs. That has drawbacks for MAME though with mindshare as basically things look broken most of the time. That is where these frontends come in. They let people get that nostalgia hit they were after. The downside is people will stick with what they know. They get a subtly broken game. But it is enough.

If you do not know what I am on about here is a 20 min video that talks about what is happening (sorry about the length). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzHeDYfkAB0 The idea is similar. What is being sold is not what the users want. In many cases that happens to overlap with what the users want. But not in all cases. It is why the frontends basically including MAME with a slick GUI in front of it. It is why mame32 hung on for as long as it did. MAME has for a long time made the stance of documentation that happens to play games. As long as the built in usability factor is not great these all inclusive GUIs will continue to exist. MAME did what it did for its own self preservation. Which was to chase off as many 'warez dudes' away. However, to make these GUIs not exist you will have to give users a reason to not use them in the first place.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Launchbox is awesome new [Re: lharms]
#375877 - 04/28/18 03:24 AM

I find it hard to believe anyone in the emulation community would look down upon it.

I use it mainly for uniting dedicated console emulators under a single, neat interface. The box art, videos and game related info scratch that nostalgia itch that you mentioned. Admittedly, I think I’ve spent more time dolling up my collection than actually playing the games since discovering LB

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Provenance is kind of bada$$ new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375945 - 05/01/18 04:54 AM

and then you abandoned her, you asshole. She didn't charge you a whole nickel because she doesn't like pennies. She was hoping you'd realize the mistake and come back for the change...

Take the hint next time

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#375947 - 05/01/18 05:11 AM

I took her out for a nice seafood dinner and then I never called her again.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 703