Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles
#375741 - 04/19/18 10:18 PM

Just posting for discussion. Yes Moog, I RTFA

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/b...ginal-consoles/

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: DiodeDude]
#375742 - 04/19/18 10:37 PM

> Just posting for discussion. Yes Moog, I RTFA
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/b...ginal-consoles/

That's something I've been wondering myself for a while. I mean, some older systems are emulated unthrottled even at %1000 and we are past 75Hz monitors. Working around a solution for input lag should be difficult but not impossible given you can process (and reprocess) more quick than you could display. I hope many other emulators find a way too, because I'm not touching Retroarch with a 10 foot pole. I like to select and play, not lose myself into a tree of unneeded options thanks.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: DiodeDude]
#375749 - 04/19/18 11:57 PM

Retroarch... ugh

Is like a cake, but adding mustard and chilly on this

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#375751 - 04/20/18 02:52 AM

>

you know, if MAME had come up with this 'solution' I'd be saying it was a marginal thing that per-game database hacks, and is only really going to be beneficial in a small number of cases and is really taking emulation in the wrong direction rather than finding real solutions.

I've always tried to put honesty above all else when it comes to promoting new features / developments.

Somebody associated with RA does this and instead they pimp it out the the media as BEST THING EVA!!!111!!!! everywhere they can, overhype it to the extreme, act like it's the second coming of emulation or something.

Their agenda is sickening, it really is. Any buzzword they can use, any overhyping they can do 'better than real hardware!' maximum smug 'look at all the people who are buying every word we say'

They'll be selling you Time Machines next.

RA really is a cancer on emulation, and unfortunately it seems to be one people are flocking to.

MAME will continue to just try and do things properly.

midget35
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/07
Send PM

#375755 - 04/20/18 05:05 PM

It just makes me sad that RA puts emphasis on stuff that sidesteps glaring flaws.

Stuff like these are just nonsense imo:
- RA running on Windows 98 and other ancient tech.
- Random single game ports.
- Constant aesthetic tweaking of a UI that is almost unusable anyway.

The retropad input model is so broken, it makes me wonder if anyone actually uses RA. Seriously. Jaguar, Atari 5200, and some 2600 games are unplayable because they don't adhere to a standard DS4/XBox gamepad layout. Insane design decision.

The fact RA and libretro are so tightly coupled: it's just as painful. Any major change to RA means every core has to be updated.

The list just goes on. You can't see which cores are created from recent source builds... etc...

I see the value of the project, and I do appreciate it is worked on by people who love games and want to share with the world... but that input model, omg.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: BIOS-D]
#375756 - 04/20/18 05:55 PM

> That's something I've been wondering myself for a while. I mean, some older systems
> are emulated unthrottled even at %1000 and we are past 75Hz monitors. Working around
> a solution for input lag should be difficult but not impossible given you can process
> (and reprocess) more quick than you could display. I hope many other emulators find a
> way too, because I'm not touching Retroarch with a 10 foot pole. I like to select and
> play, not lose myself into a tree of unneeded options thanks.

The "beam racing" setup Blur Busters is pushing seems like a far better way to solve lag. GroovyMAME has a preliminary version, and once some of the really big problems with it are fixed we'll likely promote it to mainline.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#375757 - 04/20/18 06:10 PM

>

Lets hope idiots don't start trashing real hardware believing that RA is the be all end all of emulation.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: R. Belmont]
#375758 - 04/20/18 06:50 PM

> > That's something I've been wondering myself for a while. I mean, some older systems
> > are emulated unthrottled even at %1000 and we are past 75Hz monitors. Working
> around
> > a solution for input lag should be difficult but not impossible given you can
> process
> > (and reprocess) more quick than you could display. I hope many other emulators find
> a
> > way too, because I'm not touching Retroarch with a 10 foot pole. I like to select
> and
> > play, not lose myself into a tree of unneeded options thanks.
>
> The "beam racing" setup Blur Busters is pushing seems like a far better way to solve
> lag. GroovyMAME has a preliminary version, and once some of the really big problems
> with it are fixed we'll likely promote it to mainline.

yep, that actually means *improving* the emulation, so the timing of everything is closer to the real machines and therefore can be evenly divided across a frame.

it's a far better solution from a technical point of view, but unfortunately I think the kiddies will buy more into this overpromoted RA bullshit with the per-game databases of hacks and other not-really-emulation garbage due to the hype and promise to get rid of lag that is actually present on the hardware etc.

closest thing to what RA are doing in terms of overhyped bullshit marketing is ironically the original Tiger handheld adverts from the 90s.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/19/13
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: Haze]
#375760 - 04/21/18 01:17 AM

RA has its problems but it's not an accident that it got so popular, it sounds like you're in denial Haze.

They don't add much to the emulation scene itself but they do add many quality of life improvements that many emulators didn't implement. MAME is on a league of its own but then again it's the biggest emulation project in history, many emulators still don't have simple things like integer scaling or exclusive fullscreen. Somebody who is interested in coding an emulator is not necessarily interested in usability improvements, and so RA appears to fill that void. It's not an accident that it got so popular and it's also not an accident that it is the first to implement this feature in emulation outside of netplay.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#375762 - 04/21/18 07:09 AM

> Retroarch... ugh
>
>
> Is like a cake, but adding mustard and chilly on this

I love you.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: iVoid]
#375768 - 04/21/18 10:43 PM

> RA has its problems but it's not an accident that it got so popular,

It's not an accident that ISIS gained a lot of support, or Donald Trump for that matter.

It doesn't mean that you have to like them, or the people who support them.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: smf]
#375769 - 04/22/18 12:58 AM

> > RA has its problems but it's not an accident that it got so popular,
>
> It's not an accident that ISIS gained a lot of support, or Donald Trump for that
> matter.
>
> It doesn't mean that you have to like them, or the people who support them.

Of course. It's just that simply hating and whining is hardly ever productive, it seems much more productive to me to try to understand and discuss the reasons behind their growth, but that's just me, to each their own.

Edited by iVoid (04/22/18 12:59 AM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: iVoid]
#375771 - 04/22/18 07:38 AM

> > > RA has its problems but it's not an accident that it got so popular,
> >
> > It's not an accident that ISIS gained a lot of support, or Donald Trump for that
> > matter.
> >
> > It doesn't mean that you have to like them, or the people who support them.
>
> Of course. It's just that simply hating and whining is hardly ever productive, it
> seems much more productive to me to try to understand and discuss the reasons behind
> their growth, but that's just me, to each their own.

"Hating and whining", you sound like that Amy's Baking Company bitch who accuses people with legitimate grievances against her business of just being "haters". Go fuck yourself with a broom handle.

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#375772 - 04/22/18 07:41 AM

> it seems much more productive to me to try to understand and discuss the reasons behind
> their growth, but that's just me, to each their own.

We understand the reasons, they have complete opposite goals to MAME. It takes longer to do things properly, so they are hoovering up users with their half baked solutions. It's not the users fault, it's marketed in a way that makes it attractive.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: smf]
#375774 - 04/22/18 03:09 PM

> > it seems much more productive to me to try to understand and discuss the reasons
> behind
> > their growth, but that's just me, to each their own.
>
> We understand the reasons, they have complete opposite goals to MAME. It takes longer
> to do things properly, so they are hoovering up users with their half baked
> solutions. It's not the users fault, it's marketed in a way that makes it attractive.

The other problem is they're Lance Armstronging it too. Doing it properly not only takes longer, it is also competing against things that are game specific hacks, basically cheating and creating unrealistic expectations in those cases meaning even when it does get done properly the proper implementation is likely to just be met with a negative response rather than the positive one it deserves.

Was bad enough with the shmupmame crowd which also employed per-game hack techniques and created a similar mess.

When you do start hacking things like that you're changing the games too, I know for a fact that some games had lag programmed in as part of the difficult balancing. Anything claiming 'better than reality' in cases like this is inherently a problem, it implies cheating, it implies game specific hacks, and it implies changing how the game are meant to play.

I maintain, RA / LR is the worst thing to happen to emulation in the last decade and they keep adding more reasons to the list of why that is all the time.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: Haze]
#375777 - 04/22/18 05:45 PM

> > > it seems much more productive to me to try to understand and discuss the reasons
> > behind
> > > their growth, but that's just me, to each their own.
> >
> > We understand the reasons, they have complete opposite goals to MAME. It takes
> longer
> > to do things properly, so they are hoovering up users with their half baked
> > solutions. It's not the users fault, it's marketed in a way that makes it
> attractive.
>
> The other problem is they're Lance Armstronging it too. Doing it properly not only
> takes longer, it is also competing against things that are game specific hacks,
> basically cheating and creating unrealistic expectations in those cases meaning even
> when it does get done properly the proper implementation is likely to just be met
> with a negative response rather than the positive one it deserves.
>
> Was bad enough with the shmupmame crowd which also employed per-game hack techniques
> and created a similar mess.
>
> When you do start hacking things like that you're changing the games too, I know for
> a fact that some games had lag programmed in as part of the difficult balancing.
> Anything claiming 'better than reality' in cases like this is inherently a problem,
> it implies cheating, it implies game specific hacks, and it implies changing how the
> game are meant to play.
>
> I maintain, RA / LR is the worst thing to happen to emulation in the last decade and
> they keep adding more reasons to the list of why that is all the time.

Alright, this I can respect. Just calmly stating your reasoning so we can have a healthy discussion. Is that so hard?

This on the other hand...

> Go fuck yourself with a broom handle. [Not posted by Haze, btw]

Just makes you look bad and sound childish.

I have no interest in fighting over the internet, I think we're all adults here so I'll try to ignore it and try to stay on topic if you don't mind. I won't say anything more about RA in general I'll just try to talk about the runahead feature itself, if that's at all possible here...

> When you do start hacking things like that you're changing the games too, I know for
> a fact that some games had lag programmed in as part of the difficult balancing.
> Anything claiming 'better than reality' in cases like this is inherently a problem,
> it implies cheating, it implies game specific hacks, and it implies changing how the
> game are meant to play.

Even if things are "done properly" and an emulator has perfect timings you'll still be "changing how the games are meant to play", because you'll always end up with bigger latency than the original hardware, as your system's latency will stack with the latency from the emulated hardware. In that regard the end result is just as inaccurate as this new approach, just on the other direction.

I'm not saying that it isn't important to improve the emulation timings and accuracy as much as possible, but I don't see how the emulation itself is being tampered with in this case. It's just an inventive use of existing emulator features.

Whether the end result is more or less accurate than the original hardware, you can only be sure by testing the response times with a high speed camera. For people with laggier displays it could actually make input lag closer to the original hardware, and you can fine-tune the input lag reduction to make it as close to the original as possible. It's only for people with very responsive displays that it could be considered cheating, mostly people with CRTs.

Edited by iVoid (04/22/18 12:49 PM)
Edited by Mr. Do for clarification (04/22/18 5:15 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#375780 - 04/22/18 08:08 PM

I can guarantee that having to access their menu to change settings on a per game basis will get frustrating and old very quickly.

And people complain about an information screen that flashes for a fraction of a second.

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

#375788 - 04/23/18 05:12 PM

> Even if things are "done properly" and an emulator has perfect timings you'll still
> be "changing how the games are meant to play", because you'll always end up with
> bigger latency than the original hardware, as your system's latency will stack with
> the latency from the emulated hardware.

This argument is not true.

The system's latency can be made ZERO today. Or a figure so close to zero that's ridiculous. But you need good hardware. A good PC and a proper monitor, either a CRT or a Free-Sync/G-Sync flat panel. This is the path of virtue. Expensive and laborious.

Then you have the path of vice: lousy hardware compensation, sloth and stinginess. Don't listen to those purists, we offer you a product that gets you the same (better!) performance on your beloved recycled Atom laptop or supercheap Raspberry Pi.

And still, latency compensation is a very, very clever trick. It's Shmupmame done right. But it's a wrong approach to the problem.

iVoid
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Better than reality: New emulation tech lags less than original consoles new [Re: Calamity]
#375791 - 04/23/18 09:33 PM

> > Even if things are "done properly" and an emulator has perfect timings you'll still
> > be "changing how the games are meant to play", because you'll always end up with
> > bigger latency than the original hardware, as your system's latency will stack with
> > the latency from the emulated hardware.
>
> This argument is not true.
>
> The system's latency can be made ZERO today. Or a figure so close to zero that's
> ridiculous.

Then it is not untrue, is it?

I do get what you mean, the system's latency can become so low as to become almost irrelevant. But if MAME and GroovyMAME are to represent virtue, then it's better not to oversell it.

Not everyone can afford a top notch monitor, runahead is still an useful approach for some displays. And it doesn't even have to be cheap monitors, there are also very expensive monitors that have bad response times.

Anyway, these are exciting times, I can't wait for the frameslice approach to come out in GroovyMAME

Edited by iVoid (04/23/18 09:48 PM)

Haze
Send PM

#375794 - 04/24/18 01:54 AM

> > > Even if things are "done properly" and an emulator has perfect timings you'll
> still
> > > be "changing how the games are meant to play", because you'll always end up with
> > > bigger latency than the original hardware, as your system's latency will stack
> with
> > > the latency from the emulated hardware.
> >
> > This argument is not true.
> >
> > The system's latency can be made ZERO today. Or a figure so close to zero that's
> > ridiculous.
>
> Then it is not untrue, is it?
>
> I do get what you mean, the system's latency can become so low as to become almost
> irrelevant. But if MAME and GroovyMAME are to represent virtue, then it's better not
> to oversell it.
>
> Not everyone can afford a top notch monitor, runahead is still an useful approach for
> some displays. And it doesn't even have to be cheap monitors, there are also very
> expensive monitors that have bad response times.
>
> Anyway, these are exciting times, I can't wait for the frameslice approach to come
> out in GroovyMAME

the problem is doing it properly is more time consuming.

the problem with RA / LR is that it's cheats piled upon cheats, and it's dishonest about that.

if they were honest they'd be saying they have a rather shitty hacky solution that works for now but is ultimately going to set proper emulation back years. instead they're talking like they're the savior of emulation, despite not writing a line of emulation code.

the hate is not unwarranted, they're parasites, but unfortunately that appears to be popular.

Nate
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/10
Send PM

#375798 - 04/24/18 03:43 PM

and there ui sucks to boot

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1587