Win2Linux
MAME Fan & Tourist
Reged: 04/08/18
Loc: Antartica
Send PM

Where to download older versions of MAME for Linux? [SOLVED]
#375485 - 04/08/18 12:01 PM

Hi

I have a game that worked in version 0.148 and a few years ago I downloaded a more recent release of MAME but the game stopped working. So I worked my way down by installing older versions and I discovered that from version 0.149 and newer my game would never work again.

On Windows I simply make the game work by downloading an older MAME setup file.
http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html
But for Linux is there a similar way to solve the problem. Because my distro's latest working version of MAME is having issues even though I update my rom folder with the missing roms.
Also this compile business for Linux seems too complicated for me to handle. I have already managed to jump through a bunch of hoops but the errors just gets more cryptic and harder to google the more errors I manage to fix in terminal.

Posting all the issues and errors I've seen would take up too many pages. So long story short is there a simple way for a Linux user to just download a binary of MAME 0.148?

Edited by Win2Linux (04/09/18 01:10 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Where to download older versions of MAME for Linux? new [Re: Win2Linux]
#375489 - 04/08/18 01:03 PM

> Hi
>
> I have a game that worked in version 0.148 and a few years ago I downloaded a more
> recent release of MAME but the game stopped working. So I worked my way down by
> installing older versions and I discovered that from version 0.149 and newer my game
> would never work again.
>
> On Windows I simply make the game work by downloading an older MAME setup file.
> http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html
> But for Linux is there a similar way to solve the problem. Because my distro's latest
> working version of MAME is having issues even though I update my rom folder with the
> missing roms.
> Also this compile business for Linux seems too complicated for me to handle. I have
> already managed to jump through a bunch of hoops but the errors just gets more
> cryptic and harder to google the more errors I manage to fix in terminal.
>
> Posting all the issues and errors I've seen would take up too many pages. So long
> story short is there a simple way for a Linux user to just download a binary of MAME
> 0.148?

Chances are it stopped working in 0.149 because the ROMset changed, often this is because the emulation was improved and now requires an additional ROM file, for example this very thing just happened with some Taito games (Rainbow Islands, Bonze Adventure etc.) in 0.196

Trying to find old binaries to work with older ROMs is the wrong thing to do, you should instead use the correct updated ROMset. Older versions of MAME should be considered buggy / unsupported. 0.149 is 5 years old, which is a lifetime in terms of MAME development.

That is unless you mean that an actual bug was introduced in 0.149 that is preventing it from working, and has not been fixed yet, but there aren't many major regressions in MAME from that long ago.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#375507 - 04/08/18 09:16 PM

> Hi
>
> I have a game that worked in version 0.148 and a few years ago I downloaded a more
> recent release of MAME but the game stopped working.

What game?

S

Win2Linux
MAME Fan & Tourist
Send PM

Re: Where to download older versions of MAME for Linux? new [Re: Sune]
#375510 - 04/08/18 10:00 PM

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#375511 - 04/08/18 10:41 PM

> X-Men Vs. Street Fighter

Download MAME Bios Pack & MAME Devices Pack and place them in the ROMS directory - You should be fine then.
You probably miss qsound.zip for Your game. (and all of Capcom Play System 2 games use the same device)

Win2Linux
MAME Fan & Tourist
Send PM

Re: Where to download older versions of MAME for Linux? [SOLVED] new [Re: CTOJAH]
#375513 - 04/09/18 01:06 AM

@CTOJAH
Thanks that solved my problem qsound.zip was the file that was missing. Didn't even have to compile anything just running my distro's default MAME install was enough.

Just a little note to my fellow Linux Mint buddies. I followed this install tutorial.
https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/how-to-install-mame-on-linux-mint/

Naibo
Reged: 10/17/07
Send PM

Re: Where to download older versions of MAME for Linux? [SOLVED] new [Re: Win2Linux]
#375520 - 04/09/18 02:41 AM

MAME Source code since year 2011(at least) has been able to be compiled in Linux/gcc without any modification.
Just simply type "make".

You may choose a Linux/gcc version matching the MAME version you like to compile.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2820