MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Another MAME snaps question
#373925 - 02/13/18 11:54 PM Attachment: 0001.png 2 KB (0 downloads)

Is there a way to take a snap as it appears on the screen while playing? If not, would it be possible to eventually have an option to do so?

I like to rip sprites from snaps but all I get is snaps like below. I don't know why that is more accurate but I will concede that I just don't understand it.

I notice the snap packs no longer have squished snaps. If I'm missing something, I apologize in advance.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: Another MAME snaps question new [Re: Antny]
#373930 - 02/14/18 01:34 AM

The snap is taken with the internal resolution, but you can set the x and y values. For example in Mameui:
Options, Default system options, Miscellaneous tab, Uncheck autoselect snap size, and put the values you like.

RETRODANUART.COM

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Another MAME snaps question new [Re: Sthiryu]
#373991 - 02/16/18 06:25 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to take a snapshot of Galaxian. I run the game in "standard" mode. I set the resolution as you said to 224 x 768 and it still comes out squished. What should the settings be? Does my monitor's resolution have anything to do with it?

*edit*

I tripled the width (672) and it looked close to the image as it is being played but the pixels are not sharp

Edited by Antny (02/16/18 06:34 AM)

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#373994 - 02/16/18 07:09 AM

mame dkong -snapsize 480x640

-snapsize specify snapshot/movie resolution (widthXheight) or 'auto' to use minimal size

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Another MAME snaps question new [Re: John IV]
#373995 - 02/16/18 07:30 AM

Thanks John. I set Galaxian to 480 x 640 and the aspect ratio looks correct. Not sure why the pixels look a little fuzzy. Any ideas? I'm using MAMEUI. I tried all options of the "snapshot view" pull down menu (internal, auto, standard, pixel aspect, etc). They snapshots all look the same, a little fuzzy. The property screen for Galaxian says resolution is 224 x 768. If I set for that I get a squashed snap.

I remember getting crisp snapshots in older vesions of MAME. They were small but easily doubled in size if desired.

I'm still missing something.

Thanks again

Edit

I set Donkey Kong as "auto" and got a crispy snap. Just as I remembered MAME taking many versions back. I set Galaxian to auto or at 224 x 768 and I get the stretched image. Not sure what to se Galaxian's resolution to get the same results.

Edited by Antny (02/16/18 08:39 AM)

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#374020 - 02/17/18 10:51 PM

When you specify a non-native 4:3 resolution for the snapshot you have the option to bilinear filter the result or not, but you'll get interpolation artifacts if you don't.

Your MAMEUI probably has this setting on, so you get the 'fuzz'.

-snapbilinear specify if the snapshot/movie should have bilinear filtering applied

There are options to do integer stretches to 4:3 w/ -nounevenstretch during a game but I don't think those are applied to the resulting snapshots.

Note: Also galaxian's snapshot when taken w/ native will be squashed due to the way starfield emulation had to be achieved if memory serves.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Another MAME snaps question new [Re: John IV]
#374023 - 02/18/18 03:58 AM

I'm grasping it a little better. I get what I want when I set it to auto. The problem I was having was with the games with starfields (one other I believe). I don't have any filtering on. I'm trying to figure out how that Galaxian snap represents what's on screen. Why does it look so different when playing?

I know MAME is all about accuracy but it would be nice to have an option to take a snap as it is displayed while playing. At least for frontend use. No matter how I configure the snap dimensions I get a fuzzy picture of Galaxian (and others). It's only very slight but it prevents a perfect sprite rip. I'm must be missing something but I'm not sure how a squished snap is useful.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Antny (02/18/18 04:23 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 925