View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

El Pepo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/23/16
Send PM

Last Km
#372513 - 12/30/17 05:24 PM

http://www.retroaccion.org/preservacion-de-maquina-arcade-last-km-de-zeus-software-gaelco

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: El Pepo]
#372519 - 12/30/17 07:15 PM

If I understood well, this is a story about preserving old Gaelco game - Last KM (Last Kilometer ?!) and it works 100%.
Also MAME runs it - there is one screenshot from MAME UI.

P.S. This definitely belongs in the NEWS section of the forum.

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: CTOJAH]
#372520 - 12/30/17 07:29 PM

> If I understood well, this is a story about preserving old Gaelco game - Last KM
> (Last Kilometer ?!) and it works 100%.
> Also MAME runs it - there is one screenshot from MAME UI.
>
> P.S. This definitely belongs in the NEWS section of the forum.

It should be this game http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Salter

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#372521 - 12/30/17 07:35 PM

They dumped and sent the roms to mame or what is the story?

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: Smitdogg]
#372522 - 12/30/17 07:42 PM

I guess so.
Do we have a member here from Spain or the one with a native Spanish language ?
My Spanish is hit & miss so I could only guess what happened here.
Screenshot that I mentioned before :
http://www.retroaccion.org/sites/default...astKM_00001.png

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: Smitdogg]
#372525 - 12/30/17 07:50 PM

> They dumped and sent the roms to mame or what is the story?

looks like they dumped it and added it themselves

zero indication it will be released from what I can see / translate tho, so they might just be showing it off.

or they might surprise us

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

I translated the article if you want to take a look. new [Re: El Pepo]
#372526 - 12/30/17 07:52 PM

> http://www.retroaccion.org/preservacion-de-maquina-arcade-last-km-de-zeus-software-gaelco

Here's a quick and dirty TL;DR version for y'all.

Asociacion RetroAccion has finally dumped and preserved the Spanish arcade machine called Last KM. It's a biking game programmed by Zeus Software in 1995 for Gaelco. The programmer for the game, Ricardo Puerto, donated the board to them so it could be dumped.

The game was fully functional and mounted on a Gaelco board, but it's not the final version of the game, and it uses sound effects from other Gaelco games of the time (World Rally Championship and an unlicensed MOD version of Giorgio Moroder's "Chase" from Midnight Express. The game originally had two static bicycle controllers, and the game was on display at the 11th Edition of Retromañia in Spain, without the controllers.

According to Julen Zaballa, Last KM was developed in the span of a month, at the same time as another Gaelco game, Biomechanical Toy (also developed by Zeus Software.) Luis Jonama, one of Galeco's founders, contacted Zeus and asked the team (Ricardo Puerto and Raul Lopez) to develop a game that used one monitor and two static bikes to play.

To create Last KM, Zeus Software reused all the software tools they created for Biomechanical Toy. The graphic artists had a tougher job, they converted all the photos of Donata San-Sebastian (the location in the game) that Raul Lopez shot for himself.

Last KM runs on the same kind of Gaelco board that Biomechanical Toy was on, but with less memory, because Ricardo Puerto added additional cabling and a "very delicate" (this might also mean fragile) communication protocol to connect to the bikes.

After it was finished, Ricardo Puerto went to Barcelona and took it to an arcade located at Las Ramblas de Barcelona, possibly in New Park. Unfortunately, Last KM was never released as an arcade game, instead it was only available at gyms, forgotten by gamers... until today.

That'll be $20. :P

Edit: Forgot to mention, I didn't translate all the text about the team that dumped it because it's basically a press release saying that they got the game and it has been preserved and blah blah blah. I was more concerned about the game's origins. My apologies. It's 10 AM and I just woke up.

Haze
Send PM

Re: I translated the article if you want to take a look. new [Re: Foxhack]
#372527 - 12/30/17 07:58 PM

> >
> http://www.retroaccion.org/preservacion-de-maquina-arcade-last-km-de-zeus-software-gaelco
>
> Here's a quick and dirty TL;DR version for y'all.
>
>
> Asociacion RetroAccion has finally dumped and preserved the Spanish arcade machine
> called Last KM. It's a biking game programmed by Zeus Software in 1995 for Gaelco.
> The programmer for the game, Ricardo Puerto, donated the board to them so it could be
> dumped.
>
> The game was fully functional and mounted on a Gaelco board, but it's not the final
> version of the game, and it uses sound effects from other Gaelco games of the time
> (World Rally Championship and an unlicensed MOD version of Giorgio Moroder's "Chase"
> from Midnight Express. The game originally had two static bicycle controllers, and
> the game was on display at the 11th Edition of Retromañia in Spain, without the
> controllers.
>
> According to Julen Zaballa, Last KM was developed in the span of a month, at the same
> time as another Gaelco game, Biomechanical Toy (also developed by Zeus Software.)
> Luis Jonama, one of Galeco's founders, contacted Zeus and asked the team (Ricardo
> Puerto and Raul Lopez) to develop a game that used one monitor and two static bikes
> to play.
>
> To create Last KM, Zeus Software reused all the software tools they created for
> Biomechanical Toy. The graphic artists had a tougher job, they converted all the
> photos of Donata San-Sebastian (the location in the game) that Raul Lopez shot for
> himself.
>
> Last KM runs on the same kind of Gaelco board that Biomechanical Toy was on, but with
> less memory, because Ricardo Puerto added additional cabling and a "very delicate"
> (this might also mean fragile) communication protocol to connect to the bikes.
>
> After it was finished, Ricardo Puerto went to Barcelona and took it to an arcade
> located at Las Ramblas de Barcelona, possibly in New Park. Unfortunately, Last KM was
> never released as an arcade game, instead it was only available at gyms, forgotten by
> gamers... until today.
>
>
> That'll be $20. :P
>
> Edit: Forgot to mention, I didn't translate all the text about the team that dumped
> it because it's basically a press release saying that they got the game and it has
> been preserved and blah blah blah. I was more concerned about the game's origins. My
> apologies. It's 10 AM and I just woke up.

Well as long as they know that MAME would be happy to accept it and support it officially even if it was never in the arcades. (we're happy to support anything these days afterall)

Doesn't really give any indication if they're planning on submitting it or not, although I hope they do.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: Haze]
#372528 - 12/30/17 08:00 PM

If they send us the dump I'll move the thread to news. If they don't or start selling it I'll wipe my ass with the thread instead.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: I translated the article if you want to take a look. new [Re: Haze]
#372529 - 12/30/17 08:03 PM

> Well as long as they know that MAME would be happy to accept it and support it
> officially even if it was never in the arcades. (we're happy to support anything
> these days afterall)
>
> Doesn't really give any indication if they're planning on submitting it or not,
> although I hope they do.

Apparently the actual board will be donated to a museum in the Universidad de Zaragoza, so it should be on display there.

I sent them a tweet asking if the game will be added to MAME or not.

https://twitter.com/Foxhack/status/947165976050716675

I'll update you guys as soon as they contact me.

El Pepo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/23/16
Send PM

#372548 - 12/31/17 12:05 AM

Yes, I'm spanish, but not related at all with the team that dumped this game. I just c&p'ed the link from a news site.

dave00
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/28/15
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#372560 - 12/31/17 02:04 AM

Last Km was an arcade prototype while Salter not, It was done for a exercise equipment manufacturer of the same name, as a part of their product line. According to a Gaelco ex-worker, 'Salter game' was launched (around 1995) and It's possible they have elements in common between 2 games (or even the game reused to Salter). We're trying to contact Salter to get more info, catalogue or anything related.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: dave00]
#372562 - 12/31/17 02:19 AM

Decent looking title from Gaelco, hopefully we might see this supported officially in MAME sometime as bicycle based
Arcade racing games are not exactly ten a penny and this looks like a good example of one.

Arcade Addict

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: dave00]
#372563 - 12/31/17 03:32 AM

> Last Km was an arcade prototype while Salter not, It was done for a exercise
> equipment manufacturer of the same name, as a part of their product line. According
> to a Gaelco ex-worker, 'Salter game' was launched (around 1995) and It's possible
> they have elements in common between 2 games (or even the game reused to Salter).
> We're trying to contact Salter to get more info, catalogue or anything related.

The article says that this was used in exercise machines so it's definitely possible that they just used a different title screen.

I don't suppose you can send people to ask at any gyms they may have around? XD

(Ya sé, es muy difícil que todavía tengan algunas de esas máquinas guardadas en un almacén por ahí...)

ElSemi
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/07
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: Haze]
#372574 - 12/31/17 12:41 PM

Don't worry, it will be submitted . They are just finishing some talks, as the board was provided by the main programmer, and they need to know that everyone involved is ok with that.

I have the dump so it's not lost (actually I dumped it , the museum that they talk about in that article is in the university where I studied, like 10 minutes walking from my house, and I'm member of the retroaccion association), it works on the current biomechanical toy driver.
Also, they provided a prototype of biomechanical toy, with a different name and no audio, that's also dumped and ready to send over there as soon as it's OK.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

That's great! <NT> new [Re: ElSemi]
#372615 - 01/01/18 08:34 AM

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Haze
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: El Pepo]
#373120 - 01/15/18 08:21 PM

This will be supported in the next MAME

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/efcab74b5065ddc12a448bae2cb72e96e9685166

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Last Km new [Re: ElSemi]
#373135 - 01/16/18 01:13 AM

>Don't worry, it will be submitted. They are just finishing some talks, as the board was
>provided by the main programmer, and they need to know that everyone involved is ok with
>that. I have the dump so it's not lost (actually I dumped it)

Thanks to both you and Haze for getting this supported/documented in MAME and also to the game designer for allowing it to be supported.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2280