#371788 - 12/11/17 07:55 PM

New breakthrough in PGM2 emulation :
https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/12/11/pgm2-oriental-legend-2-card-use/

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: CTOJAH]
#371789 - 12/11/17 09:21 PM

> New breakthrough in PGM2 emulation :
> https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/12/11/pgm2-oriental-legend-2-card-use/

Pretty cool. I wonder if the 500 write limit is a limitation of the card itself - the flash being so cheap that it could only last that long.

Is the read number stored in the memory card itself?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: Foxhack]
#371791 - 12/11/17 09:23 PM

> > New breakthrough in PGM2 emulation :
> > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/12/11/pgm2-oriental-legend-2-card-use/
>
> Pretty cool. I wonder if the 500 write limit is a limitation of the card itself - the
> flash being so cheap that it could only last that long.
>
> Is the read number stored in the memory card itself?

I'm told you could get ones with different write limits depending on how much you paid the arcade op. I think it's an artificial limitation to get you to buy a new card after a while, forcing you to start again rather than just playing with an OP character.

I haven't verified this from the game code tho.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: Haze]
#371794 - 12/11/17 11:14 PM

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/12/11/pgm2-oriental-legend-2-card-use/

Congrats to all involved in getting the hardware emulated this far. Good blog entry with detailed usage explanation since it is more involved in getting started compared to other games. Is this an entry that might get added to FAQ section later?

*excerpt from blog*
-
Type in the name of your new memory card, with a “.pg2” extension (I used oriental2.pg2) (note, MAME is silly, so pressing p when typing pg2 will actually unpause it, so don’t take too long here)
-

This appears to be one of those times that maybe UI should control / determine that the "p" key is being used for a filename entry instead of being used as a toggle switch for pausing and unpausing a game. I don't know if that would cause more problems for end users, but I can see where it would make sense to have the user interface maybe override controls of some of the toggle keyboard buttons during specific moments such as when tinkering with various options while calling up the user interface mode.

I am guessing this topic has already been discussed before.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: Foxhack]
#371799 - 12/12/17 12:38 AM

> Pretty cool. I wonder if the 500 write limit is a limitation of the card itself - the
> flash being so cheap that it could only last that long.
>
> Is the read number stored in the memory card itself?

suspected IC Card Chip type supports minimum of 10000 write/erase cycles.
so, it's just limitation to gain more money from new cards sales.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: MetalliC]
#371814 - 12/12/17 03:31 AM

> > Pretty cool. I wonder if the 500 write limit is a limitation of the card itself -
> the
> > flash being so cheap that it could only last that long.
> >
> > Is the read number stored in the memory card itself?
>
> suspected IC Card Chip type supports minimum of 10000 write/erase cycles.
> so, it's just limitation to gain more money from new cards sales.

Possible it was an artificial limit. I have seen as low as 1500 on some devices from that era. Heard of a few with a 500 limit. Usually for me it is the accounting table that ate itself first but those were usually newer flash drive style chips. Being such a small device it is probably overwriting the whole thing every time. The spec sheet of the device probably would say how much it is. The higher limits were usually later devices with a better manufacturing process, larger, and wear leveling built in. Course I am randomly speculating

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: lharms]
#371817 - 12/12/17 04:55 AM

> > > Pretty cool. I wonder if the 500 write limit is a limitation of the card itself -
> > the
> > > flash being so cheap that it could only last that long.
> > >
> > > Is the read number stored in the memory card itself?
> >
> > suspected IC Card Chip type supports minimum of 10000 write/erase cycles.
> > so, it's just limitation to gain more money from new cards sales.
>
> Possible it was an artificial limit. I have seen as low as 1500 on some devices from
> that era. Heard of a few with a 500 limit. Usually for me it is the accounting table
> that ate itself first but those were usually newer flash drive style chips. Being
> such a small device it is probably overwriting the whole thing every time. The spec
> sheet of the device probably would say how much it is. The higher limits were usually
> later devices with a better manufacturing process, larger, and wear leveling built
> in. Course I am randomly speculating

I suspected it would be something like this, but it makes more sense if it was purposefully built to not last very long so operators could sell cards.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: MetalliC and Haze are playing cards with PGM2 deck of cards new [Re: lharms]
#371824 - 12/12/17 05:48 PM

> Possible it was an artificial limit.

it always artificial limit if we talking about cards for arcade gaming machines.

> I have seen as low as 1500 on some devices from that era.

what era ? we are talking about 10 or less year old ICC.
these ICC is EEPROM devices, which usually have minimum guaranteed W/E cycle count 10K, sometimes 100K or 1M.

and it not something new or hitech, it was like that during ~20 years.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1237