gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Haze wip: Gamate Makeover
#370457 - 10/20/17 11:42 PM

Gamate Makeover

Congrats to all contributors involved with preserving this handheld hardware series.

This handheld was one of the topics in the old May 2013 – The Path Ahead of Us blog entry in the section of: Bit Corporation / UMC – Gamate (Mobile / Handheld)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

btw new [Re: gregf]
#370458 - 10/20/17 11:47 PM

btw: from the May 2013 – The Path Ahead of Us blog entry,

Great to see many of the entries listed then now done.

--
Atari – Space Lords (Arcade)
Gaelco – 16-bit Era games – Thunder Hoop 2, Glass, World Rally 2 + more (Arcade)
Taito – Air System – Top Landing & [ Air Inferno (Arcade) - not yet ]

Stern – Mazer Blazer & Great Guns (Arcade)
Another classic era game for which the emulation has been criminally neglected over the years. The dump might be incomplete (missing speech roms on Mazer Blazer) but I feel the driver for these could be substantially improved.
--

Some already added to 2016 and 2017 blog entries.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016-the-work-in-progress-writeup/

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017-new-focus/

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

Re: btw new [Re: gregf]
#370463 - 10/21/17 02:41 AM

I'm disappointed that in the May 2013 post and all of Haze's posts thereafter talking about future directions of work for MAME, there's absolutely no mention of any work on Sega model 1/2/3/Naomi/Naomi2 etc.

I realise that emulating such complex hardware is incredibly challenging, but has emulation of those (and newer) Sega platforms now hit a wall where realistically, no more significant progress should be expected?

Edited by JustNiz (10/21/17 02:47 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: btw new [Re: JustNiz]
#370466 - 10/21/17 06:02 AM

>I'm disappointed that in the May 2013 post and all of Haze's posts thereafter talking about
>future directions of work for MAME, there's absolutely no mention of any work on Sega model
>1/2/3/Naomi/Naomi2 etc.

I am guessing when that blog entry was in May 2013, it was to cover items outside of the Sega games since writing about the Sega hardware itself would have been many extra paragraphs. What was written then was good enough since there were dozens of game entries in which no one back then would be certain if some of the games could ever be emulated.....especially the Gaelco games.

> I realise that emulating such complex hardware is incredibly
>challenging, but has emulation of those (and newer) Sega platforms now hit a wall where
>realistically, no more significant progress should be expected?

There has been some progress along the way.

-
January, 2015

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2015/01/

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2015/01/23/more-model-3/

had an encrypted title screen and encrypted HUD graphics.
-

Also SailorSat doing previous work such as linking hardware for multiple players to play working Model 1 games in link mode. There has been incremental improvements over past few years and still ongoing work regarding the various Sega platforms (arcade or console).

The area of where things are at a standstill at this time is more/improved laser disc games support since there are many varying ideas of best method of capturing raw data from discs.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#370469 - 10/21/17 11:07 AM

The recent decapping of some the Model 1 DSP chips should help with emulating that system I would imagine. If I wasn't broke I would donate money towards acquiring a Star Wars Arcade board to enable proper emulation of that game (decapping the DSP chips, whatever is needed)

One_Vurfed_Gwrx
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/15/17
Send PM

Re: Haze wip: Gamate Makeover new [Re: gregf]
#370471 - 10/21/17 05:00 PM

Cool, I remember one of the ZX Spectrum mags at the time (Your Sinclair or Crash) tried to push this a little as an alternative to the Gameboy. Never saw one in the flesh though.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: btw new [Re: JustNiz]
#370472 - 10/21/17 05:28 PM

> I'm disappointed that in the May 2013 post and all of Haze's posts thereafter talking
> about future directions of work for MAME, there's absolutely no mention of any work
> on Sega model 1/2/3/Naomi/Naomi2 etc.
>
> I realise that emulating such complex hardware is incredibly challenging, but has
> emulation of those (and newer) Sega platforms now hit a wall where realistically, no
> more significant progress should be expected?

There's a mention of Naomi in this latest update.

Really tho, I'm not really a 3D hardware guy when it comes to emulation. For CPUs that fast the trace logs etc. become too much for me to easily handle.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: btw new [Re: jonwil]
#370474 - 10/21/17 08:20 PM

>The recent decapping of some the Model 1 DSP chips should help with emulating that system I
>would imagine.

I forgot about that even though poster somewhat mentioned decap work. I was looking for Haze's older posts and then mentioning SailorSat's great linking work since those first came to mind.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#370481 - 10/22/17 07:37 AM

> > The recent decapping of some the Model 1 DSP chips should help with emulating that
> system I
> > would imagine.
>
> I forgot about that even though poster somewhat mentioned decap work. I was looking
> for Haze's older posts and then mentioning SailorSat's great linking work since those
> first came to mind.

Very awesome work

I hope for Taito link games in a future(Kick and run, cadash with 4 players is a good experience, racing games)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1642