Pages: 1

Schmudra
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/17
Send PM

[Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions
#367968 - 07/18/17 02:39 PM

Hi!

I am Matt and I am new to this whole emulator thing, but I find it very interesting.

I already got a few games to run, which are MK 1,2,3; Turtles Arcade and Golden Axe.

I'd like to play D&D - both games in the title - but I am unable to start them up and I dunno why.

Maybe you guys are willing to help a little noob like me?

I currently use MAME 64 0.186 and my roms folder looks like this:

- ddsom
- ddsomu
- ddtod
- ddtodd
- ddtodu
- ddtodur1
- dir
- ga2
- goldnaxe
- mk
- mk2r91
- qsound
- tmnt
- tmnt22pu
- umk3

All those games run just fine except both D&D games and I honestly got no clue as to what's going on.
If I try to start one of those two games, MAME states that one or more chd or rom files are missing.
But I dunno which files are missing.

Do you?

I am using Win7 64, if that's important.

Thanks for helping me out.

And have a nice day.

Edit as of 17h:
Gosh, I got em both up and running. Tower was missing an updated version of QSound and Mystara required another version of MAME in order to correctly decrypt the key file.
What helped me most in solving these issues? Using MAMEUI, cuz it precisely told me which files were missing/corrupted.

Long live MAMEUI!

Edited by Schmudra (07/18/17 05:19 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: Schmudra]
#367971 - 07/18/17 07:19 PM

> Edit as of 17h:
> Gosh, I got em both up and running. Tower was missing an updated version of QSound
> and Mystara required another version of MAME in order to correctly decrypt the key
> file.
> What helped me most in solving these issues? Using MAMEUI, cuz it precisely told me
> which files were missing/corrupted.
>
> Long live MAMEUI!

Allow me to take this opportunity to demand of other MAMEdevs what I've demanded for months now: Why in the hell do we not show the same missing-file info in the internal UI as what we show on the command line? It's stupid. Just completely stupid. MAMEUI isn't great, but when baseline MAME can't even tell users in its own internal UI what's missing, yeah, I can't even blame people for going with MAMEUI.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#367976 - 07/18/17 07:45 PM

> > Edit as of 17h:
> > Gosh, I got em both up and running. Tower was missing an updated version of QSound
> > and Mystara required another version of MAME in order to correctly decrypt the key
> > file.
> > What helped me most in solving these issues? Using MAMEUI, cuz it precisely told me
> > which files were missing/corrupted.
> >
> > Long live MAMEUI!
>
> Allow me to take this opportunity to demand of other MAMEdevs what I've demanded for
> months now: Why in the hell do we not show the same missing-file info in the internal
> UI as what we show on the command line? It's stupid. Just completely stupid. MAMEUI
> isn't great, but when baseline MAME can't even tell users in its own internal UI
> what's missing, yeah, I can't even blame people for going with MAMEUI.

indeed

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#368002 - 07/19/17 02:37 PM

> Allow me to take this opportunity to demand of other MAMEdevs what I've demanded for
> months now: Why in the hell do we not show the same missing-file info in the internal
> UI as what we show on the command line? It's stupid. Just completely stupid. MAMEUI
> isn't great, but when baseline MAME can't even tell users in its own internal UI
> what's missing, yeah, I can't even blame people for going with MAMEUI.

Because, as I'm sure you know, working with the code in question is far from simple. But anyway, changes happen.

Haze
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#368003 - 07/19/17 03:19 PM

> > Allow me to take this opportunity to demand of other MAMEdevs what I've demanded
> for
> > months now: Why in the hell do we not show the same missing-file info in the
> internal
> > UI as what we show on the command line? It's stupid. Just completely stupid. MAMEUI
> > isn't great, but when baseline MAME can't even tell users in its own internal UI
> > what's missing, yeah, I can't even blame people for going with MAMEUI.
>
> Because, as I'm sure you know, working with the code in question is far from simple.
> But anyway, changes happen.

is there any chance the message could be a little more dynamic

one thing I've noticed over the years is that when pepole see 'or CHD' they instantly assume a CHD is missing, even for things that don't use them.

Maybe splitting the message into sections 'Missing ROMs' 'Missing CHDs' 'Missing BIOS' 'Missing device ROMs' and saying where each should be would help, as the added complexity introduced over the last few years is really throwing a lot of people off, they don't realise they need more than just 'the rom' If there's nothing missing for a certain category, don't show it.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: Haze]
#368008 - 07/19/17 04:25 PM

> Maybe splitting the message into sections 'Missing ROMs' 'Missing CHDs' 'Missing
> BIOS' 'Missing device ROMs' and saying where each should be would help, as the added
> complexity introduced over the last few years is really throwing a lot of people off,
> they don't realise they need more than just 'the rom' If there's nothing missing for
> a certain category, don't show it.

That stuff isn't exposed by the audit code, and I'm not about to change its API and complicate all uses of it for this, particularly not this close to freeze/realease. I also found a critical bug while testing this for a pretty simple case (launching any multi-part software from internal UI). I've already wasted enough time untangling the UI code just enough to do this (previously code to launch a system was in at least six places in the select game/software menus). It isn't my job to pick up the pieces after everyone. There are plenty of people ready to say MAME is unusable or buggy, but few willing to actually put in the work necessary to improve code quality to reduce the rate of rot.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#368038 - 07/20/17 05:11 AM

Has the similar bug been fixed as well?
I reported MT #3265 way back in 2009 where loading a modified or obsolete ROM set (with no missing files) via the command line works fine, but in the internal UI it results in MAME refusing to launch the game even if the exact same ROMs were actually running in the background.

"Missing" files and "incorrect" files are two completely different things and should be treated as such. Loading a matching file but with wrong checksums should not be a fatal error.

Back when I found the bug, it was when a certain driver (aristmk4.cpp) had the exact same filenames for every single ROM set, so simply renaming a zip file was sufficient to test other games using the same hardware without having to compile MAME every time on an ancient single core PC, which used to take over three hours on my old Celeron to do a clean compile of 0.140 or whatever it was back then.

Coincidentally, MT #3264 (reported by another user) was exactly the same thing but it was dismissed and closed simply because someone was unable to reproduce the bug, which would have only needed a matching filename with wrong checksums to reproduce.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: [Solved]Dungeons&Dragons Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara Noob Questions new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#368039 - 07/20/17 05:42 AM

> Has the similar bug been fixed as well?
> I reported MT #3265 way back in 2009 where loading a modified or obsolete ROM set
> (with no missing files) via the command line works fine, but in the internal UI it
> results in MAME refusing to launch the game even if the exact same ROMs were actually
> running in the background.
>
> "Missing" files and "incorrect" files are two completely different things and should
> be treated as such. Loading a matching file but with wrong checksums should not be a
> fatal error.
>
> Back when I found the bug, it was when a certain driver (aristmk4.cpp) had the exact
> same filenames for every single ROM set, so simply renaming a zip file was sufficient
> to test other games using the same hardware without having to compile MAME every time
> on an ancient single core PC, which used to take over three hours on my old Celeron
> to do a clean compile of 0.140 or whatever it was back then.
>
> Coincidentally, MT #3264 (reported by another user) was exactly the same thing but it
> was dismissed and closed simply because someone was unable to reproduce the bug,
> which would have only needed a matching filename with wrong checksums to reproduce.

Nope, internal UI behaviour is not changed. It's still "don't run if set isn't best available". I can understand why dankan made in behave this way - it potentially cuts down false bug reports if you refuse to run with a bad ROM image. Launching with a "bad" ROM image is treated as an "advanced" operation and requires dropping to the command line.

Haze
Send PM

#368045 - 07/20/17 02:10 PM

> > Has the similar bug been fixed as well?
> > I reported MT #3265 way back in 2009 where loading a modified or obsolete ROM set
> > (with no missing files) via the command line works fine, but in the internal UI it
> > results in MAME refusing to launch the game even if the exact same ROMs were
> actually
> > running in the background.
> >
> > "Missing" files and "incorrect" files are two completely different things and
> should
> > be treated as such. Loading a matching file but with wrong checksums should not be
> a
> > fatal error.
> >
> > Back when I found the bug, it was when a certain driver (aristmk4.cpp) had the
> exact
> > same filenames for every single ROM set, so simply renaming a zip file was
> sufficient
> > to test other games using the same hardware without having to compile MAME every
> time
> > on an ancient single core PC, which used to take over three hours on my old Celeron
> > to do a clean compile of 0.140 or whatever it was back then.
> >
> > Coincidentally, MT #3264 (reported by another user) was exactly the same thing but
> it
> > was dismissed and closed simply because someone was unable to reproduce the bug,
> > which would have only needed a matching filename with wrong checksums to reproduce.
>
>
> Nope, internal UI behaviour is not changed. It's still "don't run if set isn't best
> available". I can understand why dankan made in behave this way - it potentially cuts
> down false bug reports if you refuse to run with a bad ROM image. Launching with a
> "bad" ROM image is treated as an "advanced" operation and requires dropping to the
> command line.

Yep, agreed.

Too many false bug reports came from MAMEUI which didn't enforce this behavior (and worse, didn't even bother to tell you) Maybe it does now, maybe it's still stupid.

Of course this is one of the reasons MAMEUI was popular. I tried convincing somebody to switch to commandline / regular and they didn't want to because it told them that their roms had bad checksums. Their roms always had bad checksums, they were running bad dumps, they preferred to not know. (Game in question was Marvel Vs Capcom, there was a bad rom in the parent set that was redumped at one point, it would even cause the game to crash in places)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4608