MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Sherlock sure went downhill
#367877 - 07/15/17 09:59 AM

I recall really enjoying the first season when it was new and the second being pretty good but not quite the first. The third I don't recall as being particularly horrible but it was downhill enough to where I had lost interest in making an effort to keep up with the series.

Just now I decided to check season 4 and in the first episode they have a cop call simple video editing brilliant then have a time-lapse where they literally scroll through several seemingly interesting cases taken from Sherlock Holmes books that could have been rewritten into interesting episodes. Instead they skip those and proceed to have a case with the following stupidity. A kid records fake skype video in the mountains, sends it to his dad on his dad's birthday to trick him that he can't make the party, hides himself in his car in a fake vinyl car seat bag(?) then has sudden death episode (aneurysm or something) before revealing the surprise, sits in the car dead for a week and then a drunk driver crashes into it and it explodes into flames and Sherlock figures it out because there were 2 types of vinyl in the burned mess. That is the stupidest fucking plot I have ever heard in my life.

Even if it's just a piece of an episode that is horse shit. There's no way the same writers are writing this fucking garbage as season 1. Oh and then it goes into a story about flash drives that could have been copied easier than floppy disks for a decade but mysteriously weren't and some otherwise crap story pulling threads from openings left in past seasons.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Sherlock sure went downhill new [Re: Smitdogg]
#367878 - 07/15/17 10:11 AM

And this is BBC's Sherlock, not CBS's Elementary? Ah well. I hadn't managed to watch anything past the first ones.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Sherlock sure went downhill new [Re: TriggerFin]
#367879 - 07/15/17 10:17 AM

Yeah the BBC one. I haven't watched Elementary. Lucy Liu as Watson, Americanizing and spreading the subject too thin in general, can't even give that a chance.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#367880 - 07/15/17 04:03 PM

> Yeah the BBC one. I haven't watched Elementary. Lucy Liu as Watson, Americanizing and
> spreading the subject too thin in general, can't even give that a chance.

I watched a couple of episodes of Elementary a while back (bored in my hotel room in HK), and it wasn't bad. Don't know if it's still any good, this was like years ago.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Sherlock sure went downhill new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#367887 - 07/15/17 10:39 PM

This is the one to get. Bit uneven in the later episodes. But the early ones are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Granada-Television/dp/B000RPCJB6

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Sherlock sure went downhill new [Re: lharms]
#367888 - 07/15/17 11:14 PM

One thing is for sure, if you're a granny chaser the new BBC one is the one for you. It's as if the whole show is an art show protest of Hollywood's history of putting men with younger women (usually 10 years younger or a bit more). Every single woman they use in Sherlock looks 10-30 years older than their male counterparts, or just old as dirt with no counterpart, none of them remotely attractive whatsoever. I've literally never seen so many unattractive women in a show or movie in my life. They could have gotten the point through with 1 woman but they keep trying to nail the point. In the middle of the 4th season Sherlock's brother gets hit on by a woman who looks like his grandmother and he debates calling her. I'm not done watching it so maybe he does. Maybe this is why there's no sex scenes, the audience would puke.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#367890 - 07/16/17 12:15 AM

> Maybe this is why there's no sex scenes, the audience would puke.

There are no sex scenes in Sherlock because of the lack of gay main characters.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#367891 - 07/16/17 12:21 AM

Moffat started off strong. But his more recent stuff is kinda boring. Comes of very cringy and forced. When the shows focus on the main character they are usually good. But when they go off and deep dive into the side characters they seem rather dull.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#367893 - 07/16/17 03:40 AM

I don't think anyone in Sherlock is gay. I recall some jokes of ambiguity but Sherlock ends up kissing girls and nothing gay. I don't know if the original Holmes is gay because I haven't read the books. Anyway, it went downhill at an incredible rate and the 4th season is full shark jump dumb as fucking shit. I've never seen a show go from a 9 to a 2 before.

Season 1 9/10 "great"
Season 2 7/10 "not bad"
Season 3 5/10 "time to wrap it up because clearly you can't keep it up"
Season 4 2/10 "pathetic/want my time back"

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#367899 - 07/16/17 06:26 AM

> I don't think anyone in Sherlock is gay.

Exactly. I see sex scenes on BBC programs, but they're always same-sex couples. Male-female relationships seem to suffer from "complications."

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#367902 - 07/16/17 06:56 AM

I don't watch much BBC. Good thing I guess.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#367904 - 07/16/17 01:17 PM

> I don't watch much BBC. Good thing I guess.

Watching BBCAmerica, I get the impression that about 80% of Britain is gay.

That's not entirely true, that was just from watching Torchwood. The new Who spinoff features a gay male couple and a non-couple. I think there are only two gay couples on Orphan Black, if those count (they are 75% not Tatiana Maslany).

Maybe the show that has followed all of these influences my impression.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#367906 - 07/16/17 06:04 PM

They would love Sense8 on Netflix.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#368043 - 07/20/17 11:33 AM

> I don't think anyone in Sherlock is gay. I recall some jokes of ambiguity but
> Sherlock ends up kissing girls and nothing gay. I don't know if the original Holmes
> is gay because I haven't read the books. Anyway, it went downhill at an incredible
> rate and the 4th season is full shark jump dumb as fucking shit. I've never seen a
> show go from a 9 to a 2 before.
>
> Season 1 9/10 "great"
> Season 2 7/10 "not bad"
> Season 3 5/10 "time to wrap it up because clearly you can't keep it up"
> Season 4 2/10 "pathetic/want my time back"

I totally agree with you. I was highly disappointed by the last season.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1903