Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

OK, Amazon, Newegg, anyone...
#366877 - 06/17/17 11:26 PM

How can I make sure the items I order are delivered by someone other the fucking assholes at USPS?

I ordered a battery. Just a single CR1616 to replace the dead one in a GBA cartridge, along with several tools to facilitate changing it. Everything but the battery arrived in a timely manner, but USPS refused to deliver that battery. According to the shipping information, it wasn't delivered because there was "no secure location." According to the notice LEFT IN THE MAILBOX, they couldn't reach the mailbox because there was "no clear path."

Trimmed a bush that was slightly encroaching, and called them.

No, I need to come pick it up.

Go to the town post office.

"We don't have it, it's in Franklin."

Call them.

"Yes, we have it, come pick it up."

CLOSED.

Five days later, I'm finally able to get there before they close.

"We don't have it, it's in Ogdensburg. Where you live, you know?"

Where the online tracker said it was before I went after it in the first place.

A week. For just a fucking battery. Lying about where it is because... what? They didn't feel like putting a small padded envelope in a mailbox, but could hand write a notice about it and deliver that?

At least they delivered my mail today.

So I want to put some USB 3.0 ports on the front of my case....

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

No Walmart where you live? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#366883 - 06/18/17 03:04 AM

You could've sourced the battery locally and not dealt with that mess.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: No Walmart where you live? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#366884 - 06/18/17 03:35 AM

The local Walmart... well, just no. I'll say that they don't stock them normally (I did look there). In-store pickup would have meant placing an order, waiting for delivery, then going to pick it up. I figured just getting it delivered would be the easier way to go.

I also checked Staples, where I've purchased watch batteries in the past. Via the web site, anyway.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: No Walmart where you live? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#366891 - 06/18/17 02:57 PM

> The local Walmart... well, just no. I'll say that they don't stock them normally (I
> did look there). In-store pickup would have meant placing an order, waiting for
> delivery, then going to pick it up. I figured just getting it delivered would be the
> easier way to go.
>
> I also checked Staples, where I've purchased watch batteries in the past. Via the web
> site, anyway.

These guys have been expanding and will probably be near you in a few years if they're not there already, they ain't bad. A little overpriced maybe, I haven't compared.
https://www.batteriesplus.com

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (06/18/17 03:01 PM)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: No Walmart where you live? new [Re: Stiletto]
#366909 - 06/18/17 09:54 PM

> > The local Walmart... well, just no. I'll say that they don't stock them normally (I
> > did look there). In-store pickup would have meant placing an order, waiting for
> > delivery, then going to pick it up. I figured just getting it delivered would be
> the
> > easier way to go.
> >
> > I also checked Staples, where I've purchased watch batteries in the past. Via the
> web
> > site, anyway.
>
> These guys have been expanding and will probably be near you in a few years if
> they're not there already, they ain't bad. A little overpriced maybe, I haven't
> compared.
> https://www.batteriesplus.com
>
> - Stiletto

Right now they're half an hour away down the highway.
That's actually a distance we're accustomed to driving for something here, though hardly nearby. It's where the "local" malls are. I doubt they'll get any closer in the next decade.
The price per battery is about in line with what I paid, but they sell only 2- and 6-packs. I could probably use a couple more of them, haven't looked at other carts yet, and they offer a discount on that price.
It's still an online order, waiting, and in-store pickup, so probably no better than Walmart.

In any case, the batteries are welded to the contacts in the cartridges, so I needed other tools to change it, starting with the tri-1 screwdriver bit.

Post office does this a few times a year, delivering a notice that they can't deliver something. Usually they claim no one answered the door when they came up to it, didn't knock or ring the bell, and supposedly stood there long enough to wait and then fill out the form.

UPS has at least stopped leaving packages out by the trash.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: No Walmart where you live? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#366924 - 06/19/17 03:06 AM

Heck, if you had gotten it from them, the guys at the 2 Batteries+Bulbs stores near me would have probably done the solder work for you too.

I wish I had a little work station as nice as theirs is to do that stuff. Radio Shack is 2 buildings down from both of mine. I've literally gone from Radio Shack to them & had them do the solder work for me(yep, lazy). Most of the guys will do little stuff for free (I slap 'em a tip still though) or if it's something bigger, they'll do it on the side for you.

Price wise, they seem to be about the same or cheaper as everyone else locally, if the other place has it that is.

Just my 2 cents worth on it for you to keep in mind next time...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Check jewelry dept for batteries new [Re: TriggerFin]
#367382 - 06/30/17 11:23 PM

They have batteries behind the counter that aren't on the normal racks.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Check jewelry dept for batteries new [Re: DiodeDude]
#367387 - 07/01/17 03:35 AM

> They have batteries behind the counter that aren't on the normal racks.

I haven't seen a proper jewelry department in over a decade. They have batteries in two places in the store. An online check of the store says they don't have them.

It hardly matters though, it's not like I had problems FINDING it online, or getting it sent to me. It was just the last damn quarter mile, and it's done with now.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

The place in the store where they keep watches. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#367389 - 07/01/17 05:56 AM

Glad everything worked out for you.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1644