Pages: 1

TServo2049
Lurker
Reged: 11/24/03
Send PM

Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences
#366603 - 06/06/17 05:20 PM

Hello,

Here's a question I have. I know the "clones worth playing" question has come up on multiple forums over the years. Are there any non-bootleg regional clones that have gameplay or content differences from the parent set? I am trying to keep Japan and USA clones, USA because they are the versions I'd come across in a real arcade, and Japan because the USA/World sets often had difficult changes, cut content, or were otherwise gimped (Thunder Cross, Xexex, Lightning Fighters, Undercover Cops, the list goes on and on). But any point in keeping Euro clone sets? Non-Japanese Asian clone sets?

I'm looking for ones which are demonstrably different from the parent set, and from Japan and/or US sets. It could be stuff like retaining cut content or the difficulty curve from the Japanese version, but having English in-game text. It could be extra content of its own. But I am trying to weed out clones which are just like the parent, the USA or the Japan sets but for extra language support, or changing the title, etc. (For example, do I really need all the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles clones?)

I'm especially interested in Haze's info, he always has great insight into this stuff, but if anyone else can help, that'd be great. I am using history.dat and the driver notes in Github, but those aren't always enough help. Anybody else who can help, I would really appreciate it!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences new [Re: TServo2049]
#366606 - 06/06/17 09:41 PM

Nobody to my knowledge goes through big lists of games trying to document the differences in clones. Some things are known about more popular games like you mentioned. In my opinion, considering the cost of hard drive space today and the time it would take going through the sets deleting tiny roms like this is a complete waste of your time. Your time has to be more valuable than researching to free up a few megs here and there.

TServo2049
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences new [Re: Smitdogg]
#366609 - 06/06/17 10:44 PM

That's fair. I am not lacking for hard drive space. So I guess it doesn't hurt to keep them. Thanks for the advice!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences new [Re: TServo2049]
#366610 - 06/06/17 11:27 PM

> Hello,
>
> Here's a question I have. I know the "clones worth playing" question has come up on
> multiple forums over the years. Are there any non-bootleg regional clones that have
> gameplay or content differences from the parent set? I am trying to keep Japan and
> USA clones, USA because they are the versions I'd come across in a real arcade, and
> Japan because the USA/World sets often had difficult changes, cut content, or were
> otherwise gimped (Thunder Cross, Xexex, Lightning Fighters, Undercover Cops, the list
> goes on and on). But any point in keeping Euro clone sets? Non-Japanese Asian clone
> sets?
>
> I'm looking for ones which are demonstrably different from the parent set, and from
> Japan and/or US sets. It could be stuff like retaining cut content or the difficulty
> curve from the Japanese version, but having English in-game text. It could be extra
> content of its own. But I am trying to weed out clones which are just like the
> parent, the USA or the Japan sets but for extra language support, or changing the
> title, etc. (For example, do I really need all the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
> clones?)
>
> I'm especially interested in Haze's info, he always has great insight into this
> stuff, but if anyone else can help, that'd be great. I am using history.dat and the
> driver notes in Github, but those aren't always enough help. Anybody else who can
> help, I would really appreciate it!

Gradius 3 (Japan) vs Gradius 3 (World)

The World versions had fewer enemies in their first 2 levels. This is most notable in the 2nd level, aka the Bubble Level.

Konami's Vendetta has guys in S&M bondage clothes attacking you on the 3rd level in the Japan version. These were changed for all other versions.

Konami's Xexex has a life meter in the non-Japan versions iirc. The Japan version is "one hit and you're dead."

Capcom's Final Fight had some censorship on the intro cut scene on its Non-Japan versions.

Konami's "Gokujou Parodius / Fantastic Journey" censored the hats of the American Eagle enemies in the non-Japan versions, for obvious reasons...

Rabio Lepus had cut scenes with a bunny girl in them that was removed from the US version.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

TServo2049
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences new [Re: Master O]
#366617 - 06/07/17 12:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I was going to keep the Japanese versions anyway, I was more curious about clone sets from Europe, the rest of Asia outside of Japan, and so on, and if any of them had unique differences. But it sounds like that info is not documented, so I am just going to keep most of them and investigate for myself.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#366618 - 06/07/17 01:54 AM

> Thanks for the info. I was going to keep the Japanese versions anyway, I was more
> curious about clone sets from Europe, the rest of Asia outside of Japan, and so on,
> and if any of them had unique differences. But it sounds like that info is not
> documented, so I am just going to keep most of them and investigate for myself.

The other obvious differences between regions with Konami games were name changes:

(Japan / Everywhere else)

Ajax / Typhoon
Trigon / Lightning Fighters
Nemesis / Gradius
Vulcan Venture / Gradius II
Contra / Probotector (German version)

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#366619 - 06/07/17 02:19 AM

Japan, World, and US versions of Diamakaimura/Ghouls'n'Ghosts are all different in terms of continue points and powerup yield. That's just the first one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#366620 - 06/07/17 02:29 AM

> Thanks for the info. I was going to keep the Japanese versions anyway, I was more
> curious about clone sets from Europe, the rest of Asia outside of Japan, and so on,
> and if any of them had unique differences. But it sounds like that info is not
> documented, so I am just going to keep most of them and investigate for myself.

Japan is where you're going to see the most differences as those are usually the proper versions of the game for anything developed in Japan.

but as others have mentioned it's a lot of work to document all the differences and really only for the most popular games have things been documented, but often that was a long time ago just based on changes players noticed when new versions of games were installed to fix bugs, and even then not for every single revision and release.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#366626 - 06/07/17 09:18 AM

Great 1000 Miles Rally EV has lots of extra effects - storms, lightning, car wheel standing at start, smoking tyres, etc.

Moose

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Non-Japan/USA regional clone sets with gameplay/content differences new [Re: Moose]
#366629 - 06/07/17 02:37 PM

> Great 1000 Miles Rally EV has lots of extra effects - storms, lightning, car wheel
> standing at start, smoking tyres, etc.

yeah, that's one I'm still thinking shouldn't really be a clone, it's more of a sequel release (the 'USA VERSION!' also seems to be based on the evolution model)

I doubt evolution was issued as a support romswap to owners of the original as a bugfix might have been.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#366630 - 06/07/17 03:37 PM

Pac-mania springs to mind many gameplay diffs between the Japan and US sets, most notable being the USA version has a
stage select but less overall levels 19 vs 23 in the Japan version.

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1554