MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

The status of Ms Gorf?
#365948 - 05/11/17 11:31 PM

What is the status of the data for the unfinished game Ms Gorf? Was it ever recovered from the discs? And if so, what kind of shape was it in?

The subject came up on KLOV so I thought I'd ask here, given someone from MAME would likely know if anybody. I suspect nothing had been heard or news would have surfaced by now.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#365955 - 05/12/17 12:45 AM

>The subject came up on KLOV so I thought I'd ask here, given someone from MAME would likely
>know if anybody. I suspect nothing had been heard or news would have surfaced by now.

My guess is nothing has happened (hoping the data is still preserved in meantime), but maybe something might happen later.

It was nearly five years ago I had posted about getting PSE Knights in Armor paperwork and now "pong" actually has a Knights in Armor cab himself. :-)

Coincidentally, what I had first posted about paperwork in May 2012 was just a week or two before couriersud had actually added preliminary netlist support for Atari Pong in which Pong support was re-added back into MAME (Nicola S. removed Pong in 1999)

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: gregf]
#365967 - 05/12/17 09:11 AM

I spoke to Jamie a few years ago (via Facebook) about this very subject, and she's not even sure where the disks with the source and object code are. "Somewhere in storage" is all she told me, and she said that it'd probably be best if someone just wrote a port of the game rather than going through the trouble of recovering the data, if she can even find the disks that contain it. She also spoke of exotic development hardware that has conditions that would be hard to replicate. This is pretty much a stock response that she's given to others who have asked her about the game, and she seems to be sticking to this.

She seems/seemed somewhat apprehensive about digging the disks out for recovery. I wonder if there are rights issues involved...

EDIT: I just read the KLOV thread, and see that she gave a big box of stuff to some computer museum in the time that I had talked to her; stuff that may have contained the disks themselves. So this post can be safely consigned to the "old news" department. There may be some hope yet...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#365971 - 05/12/17 03:47 PM

Still might be worth digging up if nothing else but for historic preservation, although I know that's easy for me to say as I won't be doing the digging. Also if someone decides to do a port of the game they might be able to copy the graphics from it and possibly be able to figure out some of the game play from the code. It would be REALLY awesome if someone ported it to work on real arcade hardware!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#365985 - 05/12/17 07:24 PM

>She seems/seemed somewhat apprehensive about digging the disks out for recovery. I wonder if there are rights issues involved...

Yeah...I am guessing a similar tangent issue along the line of the Crazy Otto scene, but not as big as that.

>EDIT: I just read the KLOV thread, and see that she gave a big box of stuff to some
>computer museum in the time that I had talked to her; stuff that may have contained the
>disks themselves. So this post can be safely consigned to the "old news" department. There
>may be some hope yet...

I guess your post might be linked later too.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ms._Gorf

If the disks went to where Al Kossow is involved, maybe in good hands and maybe a chance they can be preserved.....assuming the diskettes are readable/recoverable.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#366396 - 05/29/17 03:20 AM

I occasionally wonder what's up with this as well. According to Jamie's website, she has the rights to Ms. Gorf, so there shouldn't be a Crazy Otto type situation.

I know that Al Kossow from the Computer History Museum got some disks from Jamie, and was able to get at least some data off of them. But I'm not sure if ever specifically identified the Ms. Gorf source code. Even if we had the source code, it might be difficult to compile it into a playable game. But certainly if it were publicly released the odds would be much higher.

I'll include a couple of posts Al made to the Astrocade Yahoo group, which is the most detailed publicly released information I'm aware of. Until I looked it up, I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd heard anything. These messages are from June 1, 2011. Has anyone talked to Al and/or Jamie lately?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ballyalley/conversations/messages/10806

Quote:

"Hello, I'm Al Kossow, Software Curator at the Computer History Museum.

Jamie and I worked together at Apple in the 80's, and a few months ago I offered
to try to read the disks that she had in storage.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I had a chance to get through about 2/3 of them.
The date range appears to be from 1979-1983. They begin with CP/M disks, which
were pretty easy to recover, but the bulk of the 'interesting' ones are stand-alone
TERSE disks, single sided single density 1K sector/ 4 sectors. I'm guessing they
contain the code for Wizard of Wor, Gorf, and Robbie Roto.

So the problem is how to analyze the TERSE disks. There is an early version under
CP/M, which might be a start. I guess a better knowledge of what exactly the hardware
was used in this time period that these were written on would be very helpful to get
a system simulation running for recovery.

The big unknown is what the 1983 hardware was, and why it seems to be writing a
non-standard sector format. The best I've been able to come up with so far is the
5" floppies seem to be 1K sector 2 sector disks, so I'm guessing it was also a
standalone TERSE environment.

So, any detailed information would be of help.

The good news is that so far I haven't had a problem reading the disks once I
was able to figure out what the sector format was.

So far, I haven't seen many disks with personal files on them. I am more concerned
about the later ones where I can't really tell what is there. One thing on them
is the sector data appears to be bit-inverted. There is text (ie. chunks of FORTH
looking code) once I do that."

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ballyalley/conversations/messages/10805

[This one was posted by Adam Trionfo.]

Quote:

"I received the source code listing [for the Astrocade BASIC cartridge] from Al Kossow of BitSavers.org. He was able to pull this off of some CP/M disks from Jamie Fenton. Al has given me permission to post to the group some information that he pasted along to me. It is my hope that the group can help him out better than I can:

Today, June 1, 2011, I wrote to Al,
Quote:

"I know that there is one member of the Bally Alley discussion group that has been trying to get the TERSE source code for Wizard of Wor for a LONG time. Did you get all the disks that Jamie had in her storage?"

Here is Al's reply:

Quote:

yes, it is there
this all started because someone wanted to try to find the code for MS Gorf.

Unfortunately, it appears to be on 5" floppies which is in an odd format
Some of the 8" disks from 1983 aren't in a normal format either. I think they may be for a Kontron development system.

how much is known about TERSE?

I have floppies from an early CP/M version, and a lot of disk images for the 1K sector standalone TERSE development system.

There are also a handful of header files for a version of ZGRASS on the CP/M disks, but not all the code"

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: The status of Ms Gorf? new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#366397 - 05/29/17 06:00 AM

Ahh... Al got them? Well, if he can't recover them, no one can.

I'm hopeful that this will eventually come out in the wash, in time...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1494