MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

MyCloud, you are a POS
#365916 - 05/11/17 02:51 AM

I thought I was buying an 8TB external hard drive.

Where would I get that silly idea? Because the box says "8tb external hard drive." Silly me.

Piece of shit!

The computer doesn't even recognize it as an external drive. The ONLY way to access it is through their BS software, networked connections, and signing up for an account with My Cloud.

Don't call yourself an external fucking hard drive if you're not simply an external hard drive, you stupid POS. Yes, you provide 8tb of storage, but not as a simple external hard drive. THAT would show up on my computer as... an... external.... hard... drive.

Motherfucker. I can try to send this POS back, but I know that's going to be an ass-hoop clown-pocket contortionist act to get my money back if at all.

I just wanted a goddamn big motherfucking external hard drive.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: MyCloud, you are a POS new [Re: GatKong]
#365917 - 05/11/17 03:23 AM

But it's gotta be better than a regular external drive...

It says MyCloud on it!!

And it's gotta be easier to use by having to do that extra horseshit with it than a simple PNP device!!

C'MON GAT! get with the times... LOL

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#365926 - 05/11/17 10:36 AM

get 2 tiny ones. Seagate has 4tb drives (2.5"external) for like $110~$140 depending on where you get it from.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#365928 - 05/11/17 01:39 PM

With a name like MyCloud I'm surprised they're not just selling you 8TB or remote storage, or a 1TB drive with 8TB of remote storage where the drive will upload less frequently accessed files and clear space while idle.

Maybe I should stop giving them ideas tho..

Anything with 'Cloud' in the name is going to be bad. The recent Microsoft adverts on TV are cringeworthy but so many people are buying into it and talking like Cloud stuff is the best thing to ever happen...

As for drives, I decided just to get a nice docking station for 4 drives, one which can even handle those 8TB Seagate drives etc. Works like any other external drive. I guess the only downside is there's no real casing to protect the drive, but it makes swapping them in and out very easy.

> I thought I was buying an 8TB external hard drive.
>
> Where would I get that silly idea? Because the box says "8tb external hard drive."
> Silly me.
>
> Piece of shit!
>
> The computer doesn't even recognize it as an external drive. The ONLY way to access
> it is through their BS software, networked connections, and signing up for an account
> with My Cloud.
>
> Don't call yourself an external fucking hard drive if you're not simply an external
> hard drive, you stupid POS. Yes, you provide 8tb of storage, but not as a simple
> external hard drive. THAT would show up on my computer as... an... external....
> hard... drive.
>
> Motherfucker. I can try to send this POS back, but I know that's going to be an
> ass-hoop clown-pocket contortionist act to get my money back if at all.
>
> I just wanted a goddamn big motherfucking external hard drive.

Edited by Haze (05/11/17 01:42 PM)

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

#365942 - 05/11/17 09:27 PM

Hmmm... I got a 6TB "MyCloud" and haven't had any problems (yet). I was able to map a drive letter to it, so I can access it like any other USB drive I have, I only use their software to create users/shares, and only did that on day one. I have it running on the same router as my "MyBookLive" which I've also mapped a drive letter to. Only use it to access videos (I use UMS and my PS3), no lag so far.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: MyCloud, you are a POS new [Re: dfrance]
#365944 - 05/11/17 11:07 PM

Quote:

I was able to map a drive letter to it

So it wasn't inherently recognized as a drive, you had to do something to it yourself?

I refused to set it up as they prescribed, with a MyCloud account and all that crap. I want a simple external drive, not an external service which is required first to enable me access to my own drive sitting right here on my own desk. I find that insulting.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#365957 - 05/12/17 01:09 AM

> I was able to map a drive letter to it
>
> So it wasn't inherently recognized as a drive, you had to do something to it
> yourself?
>
> I refused to set it up as they prescribed, with a MyCloud account and all that crap.
> I want a simple external drive, not an external service which is required first to
> enable me access to my own drive sitting right here on my own desk. I find that
> insulting.

No it won't show up as a local disk - it's a network share. You can set it up without making an online account to tie it to. Create volumes/users, then connect to it by typing a \\unc\path on Windows or Go > Connect to Server… (Cmd-K) on Mac.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: MyCloud, you are a POS new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#365959 - 05/12/17 01:29 AM

Come on, guys.

It's advertised as "WD My Cloud 8TB External Hard Drive (NAS)"

If someone wants a USB extrenal drive and gets "networked attached storage" instead, then maybe WD should think about how they name their products.

But there's nothing wrong with NAS devices and I'm sure a lot of people with multiple computers on their wifi want NAS drives to plug into their routers so every computer can access files.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#365969 - 05/12/17 12:57 PM

>
> yourself?
>
> I refused to set it up as they prescribed, with a MyCloud account and all that crap.

Well you bought the wrong product. But I understand your anger.

> I want a simple external drive, not an external service which is required first to
> enable me access to my own drive sitting right here on my own desk. I find that
> insulting.

Amen to that. Tomorrow they're bought by someone else, and in 1 year suddenly they decide that they'll no longer service models A to N. That's what happened to my Smart TV. Brand was bought, after one year they changed the servers and apps, and some of the old models were supported although with a very limited set of apps (youtube and a browser I think). The rest, nothing. I discovered it after 2 days of unsuccesfully fiddling with ports, virtual networks and whatnot. I thought Smart TVs would just connect to the internet, but no, they connect to a server which tells them what they can do and how and when. This is not vendor-lock-in, which I hate (hello Apple), it's something worse, it's 'I thought I bought a product but it's a service'.

Also I find very strange that you can't just plug a drive into a computer and have it recognized, NAS or not. In fact if I ever get a NAS drive and doesn't have that functionality I'll probably not mess with NAS stuff unless I build it myself and I know I can use the components as I want. I once saw a nice tutorial for making a NAS server with an arduino and a 4-drive rack, I'm sure there are more like that out there.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#365970 - 05/12/17 01:29 PM

-

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#365990 - 05/12/17 08:59 PM

> I thought I was buying an 8TB external hard drive.
>
> Where would I get that silly idea? Because the box says "8tb external hard drive."
> Silly me.
>
> Piece of shit!
>
> The computer doesn't even recognize it as an external drive. The ONLY way to access
> it is through their BS software, networked connections, and signing up for an account
> with My Cloud.
>
> Don't call yourself an external fucking hard drive if you're not simply an external
> hard drive, you stupid POS. Yes, you provide 8tb of storage, but not as a simple
> external hard drive. THAT would show up on my computer as... an... external....
> hard... drive.
>
> Motherfucker. I can try to send this POS back, but I know that's going to be an
> ass-hoop clown-pocket contortionist act to get my money back if at all.
>
> I just wanted a goddamn big motherfucking external hard drive.

I don't suppose removing the drives from the enclosure and using your own is an option?

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

#366003 - 05/13/17 02:29 AM

>
> yourself?
>
> insulting.

No, not inherently....probably cuz I set up an admin password...maybe not though. It would be nice to at least see it pop up, and if no password is set, you can access the public share or whatever.

It behaves basically like a network drive on my work PC, I don't instantly see all the various drives out there, just the ones I map to. I do like that I can have a "share" my kids can't get into...for all those vids of me re-enacting Buffalo Bill from "Silence of the Lambs"...

On week 2 or 3 with mine, no problems so far. Aw sh*t....I probably just jinxed myself.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 891 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1552