View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

AT486 CDROM
#364650 - 03/26/17 04:40 PM

Following my IBM5160 post, I would like to know how to properly mount a CDROM drive in the AT486 driver. At the SLOT devices, I have selected the ATAPI CDROM (the only available option) but I need to know how to set it up in DOS 6.22 environment and how do I have to mount the iso disks in order to see/play them within this driver.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: AT486 CDROM new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#364652 - 03/26/17 05:09 PM

The easiest path would be to use the "CD-ROM driver ATAPI (Version 3.2)" installation disk that comes in the softlist.

Another alternative is to refer to this guide and take the files directly from the "Microsoft Windows 98 (Bootdisk)", also in the softlist.

rfka01
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/03/16
Send PM

Re: AT486 CDROM new [Re: BIOS-D]
#364657 - 03/26/17 08:38 PM Attachment: 0000.png 12 KB (0 downloads)

The guide seems overly complicated.
Here's what I do in this case:

Get yourself a set of DOS 6.22 install disk images and a Windows 98 or ME boot/rescue floppy disk image.

In the SLOT options for the at486 driver, install the CDROM device, in the FILE dialog set your harddisk image and the first floppy image. Remember to reset your driver after big changes like hardware options, you can change floppy disks later without resetting.

Start the at486 driver and enter the BIOS settings. Match the harddisk parameters to the image you installed for your first harddisk, leave the second drive (CDROM) set to none.

In the advanced settings of the BIOS, set the boot order to "A: C:"

Then exit the BIOS settings and boot from the first floppy. Run the setup, you might have to reboot the machine in between if you're using a brandnew harddisk image where no partition is set yet.

After the installation, remove the last disk image from the virtual drive and reboot to DOS from the harddisk.

Then insert the Windows rescue floppy disk image and copy the file "OAKCDROM.SYS" to your DOS folder (or any other location, you just have to know where it is).

Don't bother with freeing memory for now, first make sure the CDROM drive is recognized. Add the line

Code:

device=c:\dos\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd0001

to your config.sys file (after himem.sys) and

Code:

mscdex /d:mscd0001

to autoexec.bat (after the path statement).

Then reboot, and the CDROM drive should be recognized by the driver and installed by MSCDEX as drive D:

You can then insert an ISO image and work with it.

My installation has 544KB memory free for DOS. Running MEMMAKER increases this to 633KB.

Regards, Robert

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by rfka01 (03/26/17 10:03 PM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: AT486 CDROM new [Re: rfka01]
#364659 - 03/26/17 11:33 PM

I knew I needed only one from all those device drivers (apart from himem of course). I got the impression the boot disk was trying every possible device and then load only the one working, so I was willing to test one by one until I could find the correct one. That saves me a lot work, thank you.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#364700 - 03/29/17 04:48 AM

Thanks rfka01 for your guide, it works fine!!

However, I'm having trouble at the sound board setup. I don't have any sound blaster drivers and so the game freezes at the soundcard selection menu. It has a diagnostics screen too and it also freezes when attempting to autodetect the sound card.

If I try to run the game without setting up the sound card, it quits with a sound card error saying it could not load the sound drivers.

I tried all the Sblaster options at the slot menu and all of them seems to require external drivers to be installed. Is this correct? Do I have to install the sound blaster drivers from the original floppies just like in the good old days?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#364714 - 03/29/17 04:42 PM

> I tried all the Sblaster options at the slot menu and all of them seems to require
> external drivers to be installed. Is this correct? Do I have to install the sound
> blaster drivers from the original floppies just like in the good old days?

Yes. MAME emulates PCs exactly how they were; at the very least you'll need to set the BLASTER environment variable for many games to find the SB.

rfka01
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/03/16
Send PM

#364756 - 03/30/17 05:48 PM

In addition to RB's answer:

You need to be more specific. Which game are you trying to run, using which soundcard?
In general, treat an emulated machine in MAME like you would treat the hardware.
Some soundcards of the day required the installation of their drivers, others just set IRQ/DMA value in the DOS environment through the autoexec.bat/config.sys files, where applications could pick them up. Some games bypassed this altogether and talked directly to the hardware.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#364759 - 03/30/17 08:51 PM

And by the way, if you want to play some games with the mouse, like Lemmings or Monkey Island, you'll need to install the mouse driver too

RETRODANUART.COM

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#364762 - 03/30/17 09:33 PM

I don't understand either. I don't have a machine to test right now, but I've played DOOM, Monkey Island, Wolfenstein among others and I have sound selecting the proper default IRQ ("5" I think) and DMA ("1" I think). I don't have additional drivers installed and neither the "SET BLASTER=" variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

For mouse driver I use CuteMouse.

For transferring data I use the painful method of copying everything to a ISO file then do XCOPY. :P

Every game comes with a really nice README.TXT file that helps you solve any issue you may encounter with the game you're trying to run. That's how PC Master race evolved and console peasants are afraid of touching a keyboard since then.

P.S: I'm talking in a humorous manner, don't take it as a offense. I've always preferred consoles over PCs, but then I found out you can't carry your saves anymore. Retrocompatibility is now nonexistent. Everything is internet protected or console locked. Keyboard/mouse is more precise, but you can use a joystick if you want to. To name a few.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#364833 - 04/01/17 07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies people.

My dos 6.22 mouse driver is working fine.

And I've got the SB16 to work, but with serious issues...

I have Prince of Persia in my 486 HDD (mode 7 - 30mb harddisk) and it works fine when I do not set the sound blaster 16 card. Without it, the game runs with the default speaker music/sounds and plays fine at full speed. However, after setting the SB16 in the autoexec.bat as this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

the keyboard inputs are having a HUGE delay, of at least 1.5 seconds before responding to my commands, and so the game becomes unplayable. Am I doing something wrong here?

EDIT: when I pick up the Adlib or gmaster soundcards, the input lag goes away. And all the SB cards (1.0, 1.5 or 16) are having the same input lag.

Another question to the devs: is there any way to increase the machine memory, from 1MB to 4 or even 8MB? If yes, how can I do that?

Edited by R.Coltrane (04/01/17 07:36 PM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#364835 - 04/01/17 09:06 PM

> Another question to the devs: is there any way to increase the machine memory, from
> 1MB to 4 or even 8MB? If yes, how can I do that?

That is the -ramsize parameter. Valid options are:

2M
4M
8M
15M
16M
32M
64M

Just use for example "mame64.exe at486 -ramsize 16M" or edit the ramsize parameter under "# CORE MISC OPTIONS" in the .ini file and you will do fine.

A few hours ago I tried to run Resident Evil's father ("Alone in the Dark 1") without success, it hangs on a black screen. Some games still don't go as expected but so far emulation is going well.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#364837 - 04/01/17 10:00 PM

> > Another question to the devs: is there any way to increase the machine memory, from
> > 1MB to 4 or even 8MB? If yes, how can I do that?
>
> That is the -ramsize parameter. Valid options are:
>
> 1664K
> 2M
> 4M
> 8M
> 15M
> 16M
> 32M
> 64M
>
> Just use for example "mame64.exe at486 -ramsize 16M" or edit the ramsize parameter
> under "# CORE MISC OPTIONS" in the .ini file and you will do fine.
>
> A few hours ago I tried to run Resident Evil's father ("Alone in the Dark 1") without
> success, it hangs on a black screen. Some games still don't go as expected but so far
> emulation is going well.

Thanks a lot Bios-D, it's working now!!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#364876 - 04/03/17 01:38 AM

> the keyboard inputs are having a HUGE delay, of at least 1.5 seconds before
> responding to my commands, and so the game becomes unplayable. Am I doing something
> wrong here?

The SB is quite heavy to emulate; you probably are dropping below 100% speed when it's on. The GUS should be lighter on the CPU for games that support it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3156